main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Smackhead Ent-D command crew would have been amazing. I think the closest we get in Trek is when Bones injects himself (accidentally, really!) with some wonky space-meds because of a storm above the Forever Planet in "City of the Edge of Forever" then proceeds to go completely, utterly batty and destroy the timeline.

Don't do drugs, kids! You'll make Hitler win World War II!

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The drug metaphor came out strongly, but I think the topical means (the video game) at the time doesn't hold up well. It's not too far off from basing a concept on the outdated idea that D&D is satanic and increases your children's chances of suicide if they play it. It may have made more sense at the time, but now people have a greater understanding on a subject and are far more rationale about it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The First Duty would go on my ought-to-watch list because it's the only Wes episode I like, and more importantly, it leads into Lower Decks. I [face_love] Sito Jaxa.

I've read that the DS9 writers thought about bringing her back, and while I'd love to see her again, that would ruin Lower Decks.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Bajoran girls are HOT.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Random youtube surfing led to an Enterprise-A video search that came back around to this awesome thing from a couple years ago, a 6 ft custom model of the Enterprise-A- the detail is insane.

Construction pics:

More finished shots/video:

One of those and one of the E and I'd be good. [face_love]

BigAl6ft6, Darth_Omega and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    IMO, the Kirk-era movie version (Ent-A) is the most amazing design. I dig the Ent-E, but the old-school movie version is just beautiful.

[​IMG]

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's why I said one if those AND one of the E, but I'd settle for just the A. I agree- it's an incredible design. :)

The E has a great dagger feel that I love, so it sometimes rivals the A as my favorite, but the plausibility the A feels like usually wins out.

The D has nice lines and evokes a different, organic feel from all the others. Meanwhile the C is still trying to shake off the ugly stick from the Excelsior class ;).

8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    All that's missing is the magnificent Jerry Goldsmith score for the scene.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    On the other hand, Bones has no problem when, in "Wolf in the Fold", he shoots up the whole crew with some stuff that makes them seriously high. And, what's especially funny is that the NBC censors allowed this, but spiked a scene in an early script where Kirk, McCoy and Scotty are drinking some weird alien cocktails with a mood-altering affect.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I like the design of the Enterprise-B even though it's basically a cameo in Generations.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe it's because I was a Trekkie when the only Enterprise didn't have any bloody ABC or D and there weren't even any movies, but I still like the old school Constitution class the best. The model they built for Trials and Tribble-ations almost moved me to tears. That's what a starship is supposed to look like.

Mr. K likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even as a kid, it was hard for me to look back at the TOS Enterprise design fondly (not the FX quality, mind you, the actual design). It's a little too frail-looking with the thin stick-like nacelle struts, extended dish and such. And the pinwheel nacelle caps never thrilled me much.I feel like I could break it easily.

The TOS Enterprise was a reflection on 50's & 60's sci-fi: it's basically a flying saucer (with a smoother surface all around to convey that lineage, while the nacelle caps also evoke old UFO/flying saucer stuff)), two rockets and a radar dish stuck onto an original hull.

That said, it takes those primitive concepts and created something iconic.I just think it feels like it's missing something. The Refit addressed all of my concerns (sturdier/sexier nacelle struts, enclosed/reenforced dish, radiator nacelles reflecting more recent space program technology, less smooth surface detailing, modified curves/lines of the saucer section make it feel less flying saucer-like and more submersible-like while maintaining the same basic shape, etc).

However, IMO (I know others will disagree) one of the more impressive things Enterprise managed to achieve with it's Mirror Universe 2-parter was that, when pitting a TOS Constitution-class against ENT-era ships, a TOS Constitution actually felt big, advanced and powerful for the first time in a way TOS never managed to achieve (now, admittedly, that's partly a result of the FX and filming techniques of the era- though even the TOS Remastered effects didn't really change anything in that regard as it comes down to more how the ship was used in the series versus the subsequent ones).

It's grown on me a tad over the years to where I can appreciate it more, but I can't fall in love with it.

As for the Enterprise-B... while it does have some slight improvements in the secondary hull area over the original Excelsior-class, I kinda just always felt it was kinda ugly. The flat, right angle nacelle struts in particular with the overall impression that it was a bloated version of the Enterprise that has been eating too much while getting too little exercise.

When i look at it, I kinda see this:

Enterprise A
    [​IMG]

Excelsior:
    [​IMG]

Enterprise-A:
    [​IMG]

Excelsior:
    [​IMG]

Enterprise-A:
    [​IMG]

Excelsior:
    [​IMG]

;)

I kid- it's not that bad, but it depends on the camera angle (since the camera can add 10 tons...). I do like the Exclesior-class's saucer when viewed from the angle in that pic. But the topside ain't so pretty.

Darth_Invidious, Juliet316 and Mr. K like this.
  13. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    ^^YES...to the last two posts. I wasn't a very big fan of ST:ENT, but the two-part mirror universe episode was really good. I admit to getting a Trekgasm when Archer & his away team board the old-school Defiant and start to blow away Tholians. "Does this thing have aft torpedoes?" "Yes, sir!"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, one of the (many) things I love about "In a Mirror Darkly" is that the TOS Constitution class basically comes across as The Death Star of the Mirror-verse. As for the continuity tweak of 100 years later they're still running around with Constitution in "Mirror, Mirror" in TOS, hey, the Terran Empire is not full of limp-wristed innovators, they conquer and take! And it worked for them. (And, eventually, according to DS9, they done got whupped by the Klingons and the Cardassians. That's what you get for not changing your designs for a century.)

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I would assume that it took them some time to be able to replicate some of the technology- there's bound to be components they simply could not replicate and replace in that era.

Add to that that one would assume the Empress would not be in a rush to diminish her tactical advantage and keeping her ship the lone Constitution to prevent rivals from forming. She'd make sure the Defiant got some mileage on her before making any replacements or sister ships.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Just curious, is there a starship titled the Navigator? I don't remember.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nothing pops up on a search on Memory Alpha, or in it's list of Federation ships.

18. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999

[​IMG]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Well said Wesley.
    =D=

Juliet316, Mr. K and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Copyright infringement!

22. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013

I agree. This was my favorite one right here:
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Everybody's favorite Dabo girl. [face_hypnotized]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Screw you, hippie. Everyone's favorite power behind the Grand Nagus!

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you want a fun read - grab Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Sorrows of Empire - it's Spock as the ultimate bad arse bastard... that you just can't quite help backing.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.