main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Who cares?

"I don't." - Bob Orci

The2ndQuest likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yes. It is awesome. (although it may be a tad debatable if it's The Greatest but I'll be damned if it ain't up there.)

Yes. It is also awesome. (random plot point aside about "no female Borg" but even Peter David himself makes fun of that in a book years later.)

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Decker's hilarious reactions to events and his impending doom say otherwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I love "Doomsday Machine". Watched it earlier tonight- the remastered version. William Windom gave copious amounts of insanity, desperation, guilt, and arrogance in his performance. Pretty impressive if you can over-act the great Shat. Really good music score in this episode, I got it on cassette tape when I was wee.

BigAl6ft6, CloneUncleOwen and Sarge like this.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I like The Doomsday Machine. I don't want them to get into the habit of simply adapting TOS epidoses into films, but TDM could make a good movie.

Mr. K likes this.
  6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The Doomsday Machine was a pretty intense episode. It is a shame though that the actual thing looked like an over-sized "Bugles" TM corn snack from hell. Very distracting.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's certainly one of the most accessible episodes of TOS (alongside the sitcom comedy of Tribbles and, to a lesser degree, the time travel drama of City)- it doesn't feel too far outside the realm of the movies and TNG-era.

Plus it probably has the most spectacle showing off the Enterprise (particularly in the Remastered version) and has aged fairly well by TOS standards (Decker overacting aside).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yay Tr3k is going to suck even more now!

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And the previous two NuTrek movies didn't suck? :confused::p

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

Each one is based on different events.

-"Yesterday's Enterprise" indicates that the universe was still the same as the main universe right up to the disappearance of the Enterprise-C. Meaning that everything from the launching of the Phoenix to when the Enterprise-C was lost was the same. It is only afterwards that things change.

-"All Good Things" indicates that the actions in the future were the result of Q orchestrating events based on what was known in the present. We already know that the future changed with the Enterprise-D being destroyed on Veridian III that everything changed.

-"Parallels" was described as a point of reference in crafting the eleventh film, which is referenced during Spock's education classes when he was provoked into a fight. Meaning that different timelines exist and each one has some similarities and others have widely different origins and outcomes. This allowed the Mirror universe tales to occur.

11. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    What about the one where there were multiple Worfs? Poor alternate Riker..... "No! We won't go back!"
    [​IMG]

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ That was Parallels. One of TNG's best, IMO.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Exactly. "Parallels" shows us vast differences in timelines like the Borg dominating the Alpha, Beta and Gamma quadrants, to smaller ones such as Worf noticing objects being in different spots from where they were normally. "Star Trek" just took that idea and "Yesterday's Enterprise" and combined them, by showing that the Narada and the Jellyfish went over to a similar timeline, but due to interference from the Narada, caused a ripple effect going forward. We see similarities to the old universe like engineering being similar to the NX Enterprise, while the bridge is a more advanced version of the first six films. And then vast differences such as Pike and Spock not working together for a number of years before Kirk took command. And Khan being found earlier than before.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree, it just seems like things might be fudgeable enough to group them together into a single timeline- we don't know for certain that everything in YE was the same prior to the C's disappearance (their travels to and from could be somewhat similar to the JJverse's creation), for instance. In other words, there's just enough to possibly link them.

I'll admit only the AGTverse seems firmly rooted in the Prime universe and is simply an AU on it's own without a doubt- but if things could be geared towards becoming just similar enough, it might be possible to connect it to the others.

It's all a stretch, I realize- but I think it's a fun thematic linking that ultimately gives an interesting perspective to the JJverse's place in things (as well as giving it a resolution) without going full-on Mirrorverse militant.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Actually, there was that much. Guinan talked to Picard about the Enterprise-C and learned how important it was to history. It's made clear that with the original Khitomer accords were rendered null and void, instead of being renewed. The galaxy was once again in a state of war. Hence the Enterprise-D was built for war rather than exploration. The absence and inclusion of certain personnel reflects that. Tasha was never killed, while Worf either died or was raised as Klingon. Wesley's wearing a standard uniform, rather than what he was normally wearing in season three. If it was more than that, then the episode would have been further back in the timeline, rather than twenty years earlier. That's why the story only focuses on the Enterprise-C being the root cause.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, no, I get that- I'm just saying that Guinan's POV might be askew given her Nexus connection. To Guinan, she knows that the C should have resulted in renewed Khitomer Accords, but from the YE universe POV, it might not have mattered even if it seemed plausible when Guinan explains it.

Again, emphasizing, "iffily plausible", not what was intended.

17. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    Generations & Yesterday's Enterprise had the same director and shared a same writer, so it's 'iffily probable.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The connection between YE and Gen makes the Guinan connection probable, but my overall theory (including recontextualizing Guinan's POV and using it as an excuse) is iffy plausible.

19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IT BEGINS!

[​IMG]

Now to start looking into the custom display shelf I have envisioned...

The piece itself is pretty good- the saucer is die-cast, the secondary hull is plastic but they match up quite well as far as coloration goes. Also the nacelles are hollow, allowing environmental light to give the illusion of them lighting up (sadly, no such thing for the deflector dish).

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That looks awesome.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The accompanying magazine isn't anything deep but it's a nice overview and has some nice original renders mixed in with stills.

How they're going to dedicate an entire issue to something like the Bajoran Solar Sailor down the road, I have no clue.

That said, it'll be awesome to finally assemble a fictional history of space flight display with all of the Enterprises preceded by the Phoenix, space shuttle and a couple rockets (though the latter two I'll obviously have to track down elsewhere in a similar scale).

Also found a 3D printing site with a serviceable Enterprise-F model in about the same size so it'll be even more complete.

Only things that will be missing will be the NX-Alpha and NX-Refit (oh, and the XCV-330, but that doesn't fit the overall visual design evolution so I'm not too concerned with that one).

23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  25. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Thanks for the admission.

dp4m likes this.