main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, the Enterprise was repaired after that. :p

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Was it? I remember it still having all the battle scars in ST3. [face_thinking]

Yeah, they repaired it enough to get home, but it was far from fully operational when they stole it from space dock. Scotty said so himself. :p

3. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  4. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    In any case, it seemed to take a lot more punishment than the D, which popped after a brief fight with a 20-year-old BOP.

Sure, their shields were useless, but that doesn't explain why they just didn't pump 50 torpedos into the stupid Klingons, or was also explained in some non-canon source. [face_talk_hand]

/rant

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I like how photon torpedoes are supposed to be much more powerful than nuclear weapons yet they barely breach the hull of the Enterprise-D and in First Contact the Borg's torps go off like hand grenades when they bomb the town around the Phoenix.

6. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    It's not actually making a dead piece of meat, it's just replicated molecules that taste like whatever you want.

I read that in one of the hundreds of Trek books I've read. I want to say it was the TNG Tech Manual, but I don't know for sure.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They have no bearing on production, though. They're not... (ugh, I hate using this word) canon. On at least a few occasions TNG characters have mentioned it's an exact replication of food, even though old fogies like Picard's brother insist that cooked food tastes better.

It's probably like the cane sugar/high-fructose corn syrup in soda debate. :p

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Well yeah, a home cooked lasagne will always taste better than a tv dinner lasagne, and that's still "real" food compared to replicated.

Photon torpedoes were bascially contained antimatter reactions right? I couldn't even begin to imagine the desctructive power that would create. And then there's quantum torpedoes.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That always made think they'd tear holes in space or something.

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Starship Mine is one of my favorite episodes. It's more or less a ripoff of Die Hard, but that's what's so fun about it. What's also fun to notice is the first mercenary Picard takes out (with a Vulcan nerve pinch no less) bears a striking resemblence to that wacky Vulcan we all know and love, Tuvok. Memory Alpha - Devor. Coincidentally, Tim Russ also had a bit role in the last Die Hard movie too.

11. the_prime_minister

the_prime_minister Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    Looking just like he did on the Enterprise B in Generations. :p

12. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I still wonder how Warf gets bested so many times in TNG?

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The Worf Effect.

14. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Pfft X-Men were doing that (to Colossus mostly) long before TNG and I am sure someone was doing it before them.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Ok, I love that site. Particularly Growing the Beard. Thanks for the link.

A lot the TNG-related entries reminded of something:

74. Pulaski is a *****. In Season One you could practically hear the air whistling through Crusher's ears, but her replacement managed to be the worst (recurring) TNG character ever. And that includes Wesley, who did have his moments.

One glaring example is in "Elementary, Dear Data." Pulaski blabbed so much about how Data's "just a computer" that I thought La Forge was going to punch her and flush her out the shuttlebay doors. She even seemed to piss off the emotionless android a little.

16. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    According to urbandictionary.com, the term comes from Star Trek The Next Generation, which started off relatively weak but began to get better when Commander Riker grew a beard at the beginning of season two.

Similar to DS9. While it had been a quality show from day one, Sisko was always more of a background character. He really took off when he grew the beard. :cool:

17. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I noticed that too. It's as if he really wants to say "DOES GEORDI LAFORGE HAVE TO CHOKE A *****!?" when Pulaski says that. Mad props to LeVar Burton for pulling that off.

18. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I want to make a Janeway joke here, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. :p

19. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Yeah, TNG never got it's doctor's right. Crusher was supposed to have this history with Picard, but that never mattered.
    Pulaski was supposed to be endearingly crotchety like McCoy, but she failed to have any charm what so ever.

Crusher got better, but she never seemed like a member of the core team the way Riker, Data, and Geordi were.

20. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Nowadays it's Wolverine. You ain't nobody till you've beaten Wolverine! ...which just about everybody has done at some point.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    In the seventh season episode "Attached," their minds were connected by random-plot-device thingy and as a result they both found out (for sure) they were in love with each other... and Crusher acts surprised although it was always so ****ing obvious. And it was not-so-subtly implied that they would actually pursue a relationship. Yet nothing happened.

Unless you count their status as a divorced couple in "All Good Things," but that was likely a future invented by Q for his convoluted "test."

22. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    That always annoyed me about the new shows, TNG, DS9 and even Voyager all had their stronger-than-normal characters (Worf, Data, Odo, Worf again, Tuvok) - but they always got slapped down just when they were needed the most.

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Actually, Data kicked ass quite often. One notable example being that he is the only person in Star Trek who is physically capable of overpowering a Borg (Locutus in BoBW, random Borg in "Descent," First Contact).

24. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Yeah, that and Picard led the away mission where Jack Crusher died, and it never played as a plot point. It was mentioned a handful of times, and not a very big hand at that.

25. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    And yet, an arrow in the chest caused some concern in the episode where they all became Robin Hood characters. :p