main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If it helps any, it seems like every subscription (at least for now) starts from the beginning so you haven't missed out on any yet.

2. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    My comic store actually has them in and gets them in whenever they're released so you can try some comic stores.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not a bad idea to try that if you're only after a few- though one would imagine trying to get the subscriber specials through the secondary market would likely cost a pretty penny.

I had fan wished for something like this a couple years ago- dreaming that if I had a toy company I'd totally do a due cast Trek ship series if I could get the rights.

So when someone else went and actually did it, I could hardly pass up the opportunity (although, granted, my versions would have been Action Fleet size, costs be damned! ;) ).

I thought the magazines would be fluff but the BTS info on the design process for each ship has been pretty interesting (like the Voyager stuff I highlighted a few posts back). Avoiding DS9 spoilers has been a bit trickier though ;).

In a few years it'll make for a great display though (I'm keeping them boxed til then- but they're easily accessible which is great).

My grand plan is to have a full history of space flight display with the Phoenix through Enterprise-F (I'll 3D print a model if I have to) augmented with die cast models of the Apollo rocket, space shuttle, etc in a similar scale.

I might make two or three smaller displays with the other ships that have common design evolutions to present but I somehow doubt I'll ever have the room to properly display the whole series (it's a safe bet that, once I get it, the Bajoran Solar Sailor will rarely leave its packaging, for example).

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Will not rest until someone makes an Enterprise-J model! (the ship Archer was on for about a minute when Crewman Daniels was complaining at him about the Temporal Cold War)

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's on their to-do list- I believe that article mentioned them acquiring the CGI files.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    They're actually going to model that. Ewww! Please no.[face_sick]

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I did read on the wiki page that the fella who did that particular image mock up theorized that the Ent-J would be so huge they would have to use site-to-site transporters. ("Hey, wanna go grab a drink in 8-9-10-Forward?" "Sure, I'll just beam over!")

The Enterprise-J is so big it could swallow entire Borg cubes whole! All hail the power of Crewman Daniels!!

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I thunk that Ships of the Line image was just a really bad angle (it's particularly confusing to tell what's raised above/in front of the saucer or what runs along it)- the ship looks much better once you can see the underbelly (and how it incorporates the wing ship/flying-V design concepts that were considered for multiple ships (like Voyager or the NX-01) over the years)..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That feels futuristic (and, oddly, dangerous). It keeps the theme of progressive sleekness that has permeated most of the Enterprise designs over the decades while also bringing the saucer back to a more Galaxy-class vibe (which would fit in with the "generational ship" concept behind the design).

Nobody145, BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Looks ugly as hell to me, it looks flat, like literally two dimensional, and not really big enough to live in, even though the saucer section looks so big it could probably carry a crew with just one deck.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't like it for the same reason that I don't like the NX-class. Series starships in Star Trek are supposed to look big and substantial from any angle, unless you look at from the top or the bottom, it practically disappears.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I kinda like how it's broad and flat - that rear shot makes the pylons really pop.

You have to really look at the windows for a scale reference- if one of the smaller white dots (not the wider strips which i assume are more like observational decks or botanical purposes) you see on the saucer is equivalent to a window on a Galaxy-class (more or less), then the ship is actually pretty huge.

Just taking the outer few rows of 1/5th of the top side of the saucer section probably equals the total number of viewports on a Galaxy-class. in fact, that center cluster of lights is probably the size of a Galaxy-class itself.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    That top photo makes it look like Species 456 with a saucer on it's back.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Like, their ships or the actual aliens themselves?

The wing ship "Altair-class" design concept it was inspired by was this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They actually kept the nacelles from it- just added a saucer on top and an NX-01-inspired forward dish.

Nobody145 likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's comically gigantic. Why would a ship with warp capability need to be the size of a city?

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I wanna say I'm a huge fan of the NX-01 design, I thought they really nailed the in-between step from NASA to the TOS Enterprise. It's a bit on the blocky side but I kinda dig that because you can see the Enterprise in there almost coming to shape. And, maybe it's just me, but I thought the Kelvin in Star Trek was also a good in betweener from the NX-01 to the next step, it looks like the next evolution of that design (even though apparently Starfleet went to single nacelles after the NX-01 but, hey, it was a 100 years later!)

I even kinda like how, possibly by fluke, you can see the whole shoulder patch flair design thingie across most of the uniforms over the years:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Memory-Alpha entry says this on the subject:

An official class name for this type of ship has not been confirmed, although Doug Drexler approves of "Universe-class.". He also estimates the length of the vessel as being about two miles. Drexler saw the Enterprise-J "as a multi-generational vessel, that had large parks, entertainment zones, and entire universities on board. The ship is so large that turbolifts would be replaced with site to site transporters. [It] had one deflector, recognizably descended from the NX. I opted for spindly nacelle struts because I felt it suggested a technology beyond what we were familiar with. They are beyond transwarp. They can fold space, and they are exploring other galaxies besides the Milky Way."

Nobody145 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Who's the photobomber in the back?

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The Star Trek/Planet of the Apes comic crossover is going to be called The Primate Directive.

I don't really care about it but someone should get the person that named it and put him/her in charge of cancer research.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I was wondering the same thing.

21. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Enterprise-J looks pretty sweet. Although two miles long...ok fine, but what about the diameter of the saucer section?

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Marvel's Ultron, AKA James Spader.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I disagree. That's another reason why I don't like the NX design. I actually thought that it looked too sleek.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Its main problem was that it looked like it was from the 24th century. Hell, it looked like that damned Akira that first appeared in First Contact. I don't think it should've had a 1960's/TOS design aesthetic because that would have been stupid, but it definitely should have looked cruder and more primitive from the outside than the TNG/DS9/Voy ships. And that was just one of the many, many problems that Enterprise had with being a "prequel" series.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

This. I actually thought the NX-class looked overall like an early tranisitional design from the TOS movie era to the TNG era. The only things on Enterprise that actually looked pre-TOS were the phase pistols, the shuttle pods and the uniforms..