main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

Well, fortunately, the episode wasn't effects heavy. Even after the upgrade for Blu-Ray. This was one of the more cerebral and intellectual episodes regarding time travel.

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Speaking of time travel, today is the anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy. As I understand it, Gene Roddenberry tried several times to have this event used as the centerpiece of a "Star Trek" movie. Does anyone know exactly how he intended for this to work? I've heard something about Spock being on the Grassy Knoll, but not much more detail than that.

Just wondering...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I've heard that story too. It was something to do with the crew of the Enterprise going back into to stop the Kennedy assassination, only to discover that JFK's death is a fixed point in time and leads directly the creation of the Federation, or something along those lines.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I think it was something to do with a curry.

Everton and Sarge like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Memory Alpha sez the TOS crew had to stop the Klingons from stopping the JFK assassination. I think I remember reading in Shatner's "movie memories" also that the script climaxed with Spock on the grassy knoll taking the fatal headshot! So that was probably officially a thing.

bit on it in here but also lots of factoids how the eventual script for Wrath of Khan was cobbled together by Nick Meyer from several other drafts in less than 2 weeks.

Considering how Roddenberry took a lot of unused TOS / Phase II concepts and worked them into TNG (even some unused Phase II scripts were reworked into TNG eps) I'm surprised he never got around to the JFK assassination story on TNG. Woulda made a hellova S1 finale! In an alternate universe somewhere, there is the craziest goddamned TNG Roddenberry penned time travel JFK assassination ep where Data is on the grassy knoll. Or maybe Westley Crusher. He was shoehorned awkwardly into a lot of early TNG. If Westley Crusher was the one who killed JFK that would be the greatest thing ever.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe what was originally planned for the finale was a casulty of the '87 Writer's Strike.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Gene Roddenberry kept pitching his "The Enterprise crew has to let JFK die so the Federation can exist" as ideas for Star Treks 2,3,and 4.

I think I remember reading details like The Guardian of Forever being used as the means of time travel (which would have had Harlan Ellison pitching a fit, but what else is new?), Kirk and co. giving JFK a tour of the Enterprise, and yeah, some type of "Spock on the grassy knoll" business (I think read he kills JFK with a "psychic bullet" or something to that effect).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well now we know where RTD got the idea to have the Doctor in Dallas on the day of the Kennedy assassination when Doctor Who returned in 2005.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That grassy knoll must have been pretty damn crowded.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Spock, Data, and Lee Harvey Oswald walk into a bar...

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    That's a pretty provocative premise, but probably one better suited for an hour long episode than a two hour long feature film. That said, I just can't see TNG quite pulling it off. That sort of thing would've been more in TOS wheelhouse, though obviously it would've been too close to the actual events to do it during its original run.

Ultimately it was probably for the best that Roddenberry was marginalized during the making of the feature films, but it's a little sad to think about someone having to watch their creation hijacked and taken in directions they don't approve of. It happens all the time, but this is a high profile example of it.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    DS9 did do something similar with a fictionalized 'future' event that's probably similar in concept to where Roddenberry wanted to go with the JFK plotline. It was fairly good, I thought.

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Do you mean Past Tense? I don't see that as similar

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I thought it had some, in so much as how the presence or lack thereof of a historical figure can change the future in an instant.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    But the crucial difference is we don't get to see the alternate future (aside from a few lines on the Defiant bridge. Which shouldn't even be there). That's what makes the JFK concept interesting. The awfulness of the sanctuary districts is the correct future.

And the episode is awful. The ultimate in pompous preachiness.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Onto Best of Both Worlds in my TNG rewatch. 10 years later, and I still know most of the lines!

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

But... that's all wrong...

Shaka was when the walls fell, to indicate failure.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra was to indicate coming together in a common cause, then becoming friends on the ocean...

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    His arms open wide?

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Temba, his eyes open!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm almost certain some other sci-fi show from the 70's or 80's did an episode about someone stopping the JFK assassination, discovering his survival led to a nuclear war in the new timeline and then (though my memory is hazier on the resolution) they have to undo their past actions to restore the timeline.

Perhaps that plotline being used elsewhere dissuaded them from prioritizing the use of the same concept in a Star Trek story?

"I've got a gun. You've got a time machine. Hell, let's kill Hitler."

[​IMG]

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The2ndQuest - Quantum Leap actually did a two parter were Sam leaped into Lee Harvey Oswald's body several times. I can't remember the exact details of the ep (it's been ages since I've seen it), but Sam tries to change Oswald's actions and his destiny in being Kennedy's shooter. Ultimately he fails, and his last leap is into the secret service agent who jumps onto the car when Kennedy is hit. Sam, at the end of the two parter then learns he was never meant to save JFK, but rather Jackie Kennedy.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That wasn't the one I was thinking about- I did some searching and it looks like I'm thinking about the story "Profile in Silver" from the 1985 Twilight Zone series.

Oddly enough I'm pretty sure I never actually watched this episode- the whole JFK thing from this ep was included in some kind of documentary or other behind the scenes thing- the nature of which I really recall no specifics of.

However, I did see those Quantum Leap episodes- so, naturally, I can recall them but not what I;m trying to think of, heh.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Ah. The Quantum Leap eps tend to be the first that spring to mind when the topic of episodes about the assassination and 'what if' it could be prevented pop up.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ooh, Garak plays Kennedy. Will have to watch that!

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.