main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I liked how most of the lighting came from outside the windows, but I still think the sets didnt transition well.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought that was weird. It made sense when they were close to a star (made the first star's destruction more dramatic too), but what about when they're in deep space?

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Yeah, but Kirk's first 'death' is way better than the real one. If Picard had just picked a better time to hop out of the Nexus, the necessity of Kirk's help (and death) could easily have been avoided.

4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, I think the contrived nature of the climax is what brought the movie down for most people.

5. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Actually those are the DS9 uniforms, anyway I do agree that the uniforms didn't look well in Generations. Hence the better looking grey uniforms in First Contact. :p

6. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    New uniforms were designed for Generations, but they were scrapped at the last minute for fear of introducing too many "new" elements to the movie. The first action figures for Generations actually had the new uniforms.

I thought it was pretty cool how the crew were able to choose which ones to wear, and it was a nice transition from TNG to DS9 and Voyager.

And yeah, I honestly think Generations was the most cinematic of all the TNG movies, it certainly felt the most epic. Especially with moments like this:

[image=http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/MedievalSam/scraps/gen0857.jpg]

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They also looked horrible. Some weird mishmash of TNG and Wrath of Kahn uniforms.

I know that's not why they weren't introduced, but the the TNG/DS9 uniforms were better.

8. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    They had the badges introduced for Voyager so they were the Voyager uniforms. :-B

9. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Wrath of Kahn sucks

10. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Actually those combadges were first seen in DS9. [face_shhh]

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Both wrong. :p

It was designed for Generations. It appeared in DS9 in the third season, after Generations.

12. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    The Search, Part I, first aired: 26 September 1994
    Generations release date: 18 November 1994

Although you're right about the combadge being designed for Generations. ;)

13. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Oh two months, excuse me. :p

14. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I forgive you. :p

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Generations has my support, too. It was the first Star Trek movie I rented on DVD and the only one I saw before was that damn whale movie. Though I'm not a Star Trek fan, I just watched TNG because of Patrick Stewart. Getting to listen to McDowell is an added bonus.
    Generations was fun. The opening with the champagne bottle was so hilarious, it's epic. Data might be a little overdone, but watching that youtube link a few posts ago made me forgive it all over again. :D
    And the more serious moments are very good, too. Scotty, not Kirk, sells Tiberius' supposed death. Picard lost his nephew - maybe people don't care, but I feel for him. And then Data finds Spot. Spiner might not like cats, but I love them, so it's awesome.

What, Kirk died, too? On a bridge? Whatever. Who cares about Kirk? :p

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Generations is the best ST movie ever.

Time is the fire in which we burn...

17. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    First Contact beats it hands down.

But then again, I am a bit of a Borg fanboy.

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Even the new movie is better than any of the TNG efforts.

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Not to be too critical, because the new movie was a lot of fun, but quotes like this make me think Abrams really doesn't 'get' Star Trek. Sometimes a great villain like Khan does the job, but other times you don't need a villain at all - 'the one with the whales' was the most successful original cast film.

20. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    I can't be wrong, lets compromise and say I said what you said.

21. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Maybe critically and commercially, but it's not TNG. :( It's a great popcorn flick though.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Generations could have arguably been the best Star Trek movie if they ahdn't tried to shoehorn-in Shatner.

The movie si really kicking ass up to and including the crash of the D. But as soon as they go into the Nexus, the movie skids to a halt, and they have to go through some hokey scenes with Shatner till he's convinced to come back, and then he just feels out of palce for the rest of the movie- he has no personal connection or link with Soran so there's no tension of good vs bad.

Take Shatner out of the movie and imagine a new ending where Picard is the one who defeats the bad guy, and it's a fantastic movie. But I guess they were just too scared to launch a Trek film series without the Shatner link.

23. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I agree. It's a movie of ups and downs, but thankfully the ups overcompensate for the downs. :p

24. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.toplessrobot.com/van%20mayter.jpg]

Definitely a messy clean-up scenario.

That article's entry on Yar's death also brings up an inetrestign question- just how many all-powerful super alien beings are out there in the Trek universe anyways? They semeingly outnumber the common forehead alien in quantity. One wonders why other races/ships/people don't encounter them more frequently.