main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  2. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Kinda surprised Leonard Nimoy has passed away.

I bet they'll reference this on the next season of The Big Bang Theory.

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh wow, how did I not hear about this until I clicked on this thread...

4. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Cryogenic, Pensivia and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Celebrity deaths don't usually bother me. I just sorta sit there and think to myself "Bummer" and just move on, but Nimoy's departure is probably the first one in a very long time which had me choked up when I first heard about it. You know intellectually that people are mortal and that we will all die someday, but you don't really expect it to be the people whose work you have enjoyed for so long has molded and shaped you as a person, it's almost as if you expect them to be around forever. I watched "Amok Time" this evening which has been one of my favorite TOS episodes and the quote below from Spock to Chapel really struck me:

"It would be illogical for us to protest against our natures, don't you think?"

Nimoy made Spock into something other than a trusty second banana character, he made the role into one which we can all identify with at one time or another in our lives while never allowing it to become a boring retread of other alien characters from sci fi movies and tv shows of days past. His work is unique, easily identifiable, and easily related to by even the most casual of viewers. What I feel makes it even better is how he didn't talk down to his fan base the way other genre actors did, he embraced them, thanked them, and continued to serve them as best he could throughout the years. It will be a long time before we see another actor like him.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    This. Spock could have been just another disposable alien. Thanks to Leonard Nimoy, Spock is easily the most iconic alien in all of science fiction.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Speaking of Amok Time, my wife and I, as we often do, were geeking out about some of the musical choices as far as tone and instrumentation throughout the Star Trek saga. In particular, I was enjoying the use of electric base as Spock's leitmotif, and that it transitioned into the very first rendition of what became know as TOS's "Battle Music," albeit in a downtempo, very primal style. Fast forward to time index 5:05 for the electric bass, and to 6:30 to hear what I'm talking about:

9. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I don't know if anyone else has posted this yet. But it really shows just how important Leonard Nimoy was to the world.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  11. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    This is my all time fav youtube vid created by kirk/spock slashers I'm sure (No of course I don't read that stuff O:)) but it shows their epic bromance/friendship throughout trek series really well and whoever made it did a smaash up job on tying video to music. Watch or don't at your own risk. :p

Cryogenic and Juliet316 like this.
  12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Right in the feels

[​IMG]

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Gutted. Absolutely gutted. I still have not watched Into Darkness, and after today, I don't think I"m going to. Hearing Nimoy's voice in the voice over before the credits of the 2009 movie is a much more fitting final image of him as Spock than I imagine Into Darkness would have.

Sarge and Cryogenic like this.
  14. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Damn....The Feels

This is actually what broke me today.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    =D==D==D==D=

LLAP

16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Still hurting about this today. Great loss.

The geek world can never be the same.

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    His passing still doesn't quite feel real to me yet. I'm not sure if it's because I've spent my 40 years on this earth watching him cheat death countless times as Spock or if perhaps it's because his body of work allows him to live on forever. "He's not really dead you know. As long as we remember him".

I don't know if I'm ready to watch ST: II just yet, but perhaps I can watch ST: III, for obvious reasons.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Spock once said that there are always....possibilities.

EDIT: This is a great encapsulation of the power of Star Trek's ideals.

=D==D==D=

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Chancellor_Ewok, that's a lovely article you posted to. Thanks for sharing that.

It's a shame that those ideals are not truly entrenched in society.

20. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I still feel the same way. Intellectually I know he's gone. But on an emotional level I still haven't accepted it. It feels like this is some sort of sick prank.

Chancellor_Ewok Wonderful article.

Edit: jedinightwing I didn't even realize. Poor James Doohan. William Shatner is one of the last ones.

At least we still have Sulu, Chekov, Kirk and Uhura.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    You're welcome. Gene Roddenberry once said that in the future there will be no war and there will be no greed and all of the children will know how to read. I thought that article communicated those ideals very nicely.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Who's the youngest of the original cast?

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

If you ask JoinTheSchwarz he'll say "Anton Yelchin"

darth-sinister likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Sulu. George Takei is 77.

25. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    This is both very sad a bit weird.
    Yesterday I watched the TOS episode "Balance or terror", for no particular reason, I just enjoy it. In other threads here I have quoted Spock quite recently. And then I learn this....

Loss, emptiness, sadness. Another has passed beyond, never to return. But I will keep him alive by enjoying his work, delight in his craft.

Nimoy wasn't always fond of his status in fandom but he did come to terms with it and he had a sense of humor about it.
    And Trek was certainly richer because of him.

You will be missed, Mr Nimoy.
    Old Stoneface

Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.