main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How old is Walter Koenig?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

He's actually 78. He graduated from my high school a few years before my mom.

3. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well 78 is the new 68 I guess.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

It occurs to me that Bones and Spock can finally have that discussion about death.

5. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013

Crap. My eyes aren't overly moist right now.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Another thing to remember is that Shatner is all of 4 days older than Nimoy. I honestly thought he would have been the first between the two of them to pass away. Still seems strange to see him running around in Priceline ads looking like he is in his 60s.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Maybe Shat quit smoking earlier than Nimoy did.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, to be fair, you'd never have never guessed that Leonard Nimoy was 83 just from looking at recent pictures on the internet.

Jedi Merkurian and Thuro like this.
  9. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    I watched ST II tonight and almost lost it, so def wasn't ready for that but maybe I'll have time to watch 3 tomorrow to cheer myself up. Been bummed out the whole weekend about this which is kinda weird because I've never gotten "allergies" over any other celebs death. Guess that goes back to my love of TOS Spock and the man he was in real life. From all accounts a standup guy. I was definitely hoping he'd be around next year for treks anniversary. :(

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Trek would, quite literally, not be what it became without Nimoy. Other guy playing Spock? Nada. No way. Not happening. And that's pretty darn huge legacy to leave behind.

11. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Very much agreed, he was the one who came up with the Vulcan salute after all. He put so much thought into his character and the Star Trek movies he directed. And anything else he worked on, I'm sure.

More reactions from star trek cast, Patrick Stewart/JJA among others in this article.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Dammit, even the end of the Star Trek from 2009 makes me tear up a little.

"For once, ignore logic and do what feels right."

Juliet316 , Pensivia and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    A line from ST VI that literally made me re-think my life was when Spock told Lt. Valeris "Logic is the beginning of wisdom...not the end."

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Top 3 Spock lines ever: "They like you very much, but they are not, the hell, your whales"

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Not a line per say, but yeah. Because Spock.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "The only choice we're given is HOW MANY MEGATONS?!!!"

Juliet316 , The2ndQuest and V-2 like this.
  17. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Oh I love that line as well because it showed how much Spock's character had grown. That he could realize that finally logic isn't the end all, be all that he believes at the start of the trek series. I did like the 2009/Darkness contrast between younger Spock who's god is logic and Nimoy's Spock who has learned over his lifetime that logic isn't everything.

One of my favorite Spock lines:

Iron_lord, Juliet316 , Sarge and 4 others like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Reason #45674 Nimoy was awesome: Spock generally had all the best lines and Nimoy delivered them perfectly. ie. Spock summing up his encounter with the Mirror-verse crew:

"Indeed, gentlemen. May I point out that I had an opportunity to observe your counterparts here quite closely. They were brutal, savage, unprincipled, uncivilized, treacherous - in every way splendid examples of homo sapiens, the very flower of humanity. I found them quite refreshing."

Iron_lord, Juliet316 , Sarge and 3 others like this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    He lived long, and prospered. All the while giving us a character and presence that will never be forgotten. Thus, he was a very fortunate man.

Fare thee well sir.

Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  20. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    I just found out something I didn't know in reading an article on his passing. He also created the Vulcan Nerve Pinch. Trying to imagine a Spock without some of the things Leonard Nimoy came up with for his character paints a very shallow image. Always thought Spock was so cool when he used the nerve pinch. Wish I could do that to some people.:p

Juliet316 , BigAl6ft6 and Pensivia like this.
  21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    There is no metaphor colorful enough for this.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I may rewatch IV again even though I rewatched it back in May. It still holds up incredibly well, and it's probably my favorite Trek film overall.

Is anyone going to watch Final Frontier?

23. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Not any time soon. That's one of my least favorites behind TMP. Story wise anyway. I did like the characterization of Spock and Kirk's friendship in that one, and Kirk's line about knowing he'd always die alone, which sadly ends up true. I want to watch 3 and 4 though. The Voyage Home is my favorite Star Trek film, well of the old ones anyway. Followed by The Search for Spock.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah. There are some nice Kirk-Spock-McCoy character moments in TFF, but the highlight of Spock's arc is definitely the TWOK-SFS-TVH trilogy followed by the TUC "epilogue."

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It used to be that FC and Trek 09 were my favorite ones, but it took a rewatch of VH to make me change that opinion. It's so damn fun.