main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Happy now? :p

[​IMG]

2. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Wasn't long enough, they just flashed it for like a second and they had Marcus standing there forever :p

Edit: Maybe it just seemed like forever since I don't dig chicks.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Well there was also that scene in Star Trek where Kirk creeps on Uhura. :p

4. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Yeah that was okay, but that wasn't Into Darkness, I was talking about the Into Darkness movie.:p And we still have Three nekid women to two nekid Kirk scenes. Not sure I'd want to see young Spock naked unless Quinto buffs up.

Plus I'd was thinking more about THIS type of pic when I said topless, no other woman hanging off :D
    [​IMG]

Edit:Also not sure I'd call that Kirk creeping on Uhura, Gaila's the one who told him to hide under the bed and anyone would admire a hottie if you're forced to be there. o_O

5. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Wow it's dangerous to search for Kirk's Shatner pics topless. Some of the images they throw in [face_plain] Ick!

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This series needs more Gaila because the world in general needs more Rachel Nichols in everything. Especially when she's green!

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Too early for Mogh. Dorn already played Worf's grandfather as a young Klingon in ST6, which was 30+ years after when ST13 will presumably be set.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

That's assuming that the AU is going to follow exactly the same timeline as the prime universe.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Creating an alternate timeline does not get you born two generations early.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Chekhov was born very early for no good reason. People mention this and then handwave it with "butterfly effect"

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Being born a few years early isn't an impossibility with an altered timeline- being born several decades early is. Tamper with the timeline all you want so that my ancestors procreated at an earlier age but there is no way "I" would have been born early enough to have been an adult during World War 2 (let alone one of Dorn's current age).

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I buy the Kelvin destruction butterfly effecting when Checkov was born, especially if you wanna no-prize his folks meeting had something to do with the Kelvin in the Prime timeline. Besides, I kinda dig "Wiz kid" Chekhov in the JJ-verse, gives him a bit of a character quirk and we get Bones' great line of "Oh. He's 17." Worth it just for that.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Simple solution: have Dorn play Worf's great-grandfather.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Or just some other Klingon.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Damn. that man SAVED Star Trek. I forget the specifics but it went mostly that Bennett was dragged into Paramount after "Motion Picture" cost a jillion dollars to make and (Bennet said he think he fell asleep when he saw it), I think, Michael Esiner said "can you make a Star Trek movie for less than 70 Million %$^&ing dollars?" Bennett then sits down, watches every damn TOS episode ever, and gabs upon the idea to make a Khan flick. If that doesn't work, Trek might have stopped after TPM. But it did. So Bennett is huge to Star Trek.

18. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    If I remember Bennett's recounting of the story from Shatner's Star Trek Movie Memories, it was Charles Bludhorn, the president of Gulf & Western, who asked if he could make a "Star Trek" movie for less than 45 effing million dollars. Bennett answered that he could make five movies for that much. Then, Bludhorn told him, "Do it." And the rest is history.

I agree that Bennett deserves a great deal of credit for truly reviving "Star Trek". Sad loss.

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Really ironic that he and Nimoy died so close together. They had a major falling out eventually, although they made a couple terrific films along the way. Bennett was wrongly tossed aside after Star Trek V, which he didn't really want to make. His idea for another film was to have the three major characters in Starfleet Academy, and we know what eventually happened to that idea. Bennett received no credit or public hat tip that I'm aware of.

I said it elsewhere, but anyone interested in either one of them should definitely read Nicholas Meyer's "View from the Bridge" memoir.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    For some reason I thought Bennett had passed away a few years ago. Definitely a 1-2 punch for the Trek world this past week or so.

He was certainly the right man at the right time for Star Trek and his role and importance of pulling it back from the edge and charting a new course can't be overstated.

21. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    :( I'm almost afraid to say it, but isn't the saying that things like this normally come in groups of three? Hopefully not!

22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    anyone seen how canadians are paying tribute to nimoy?

they're "spocking" their $5 notes:
    [​IMG]

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'ma gonna totally Spock the next fiver I get.

24. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Maurice Hurley, Leonard Nimoy, Harve Bennett... [face_sigh]

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Darn, Maurice Hurley, the creator of The Borg died? Yet another guy in the Trek universe who came up with the right idea at the right time. (Introducing The Borg gives TNG focus - and a main baddie. The OG TNG Big Bad woulda been those slugs from "Conspiracy". The Borg, suffice it to say, where a much better idea. So with the Borg being what kicks TNG up another notch for an original identity, Trek keeps on going into years instead of riding the TOS coattails.)

The thing is, there were a whole lot of automaton societies in TOS but The Borg just *worked* better than most had. Maybe it's the design. Well, probably a lot of it is the design. And the fact that nobody can beat them. TOS eventually beat the faceless automatons they ran into but Picard and Co really didn't. Q saved them the first time. BoBW Part 1 is a giant loss. BoBW part 2 is really a fluke (and the remaining 3 TNG Borg episodes aren't really tied to the collective at all). That's why The Borg were able to be the ultimate Trek bad for the new era - also they subliminally play on our fears of technology overriding humannity. Voyager sort of coasted on those coattails for awhile but, honestly, even Voyager's Borg episode victories were reasonably slim enough to keep The Borg menacing.

Juliet316 likes this.