main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, I've heard him talk about Wesley before and how Wesley's early evolution and character development could have been handled a lot better. They really hit on exactly where to go with Wesley in Where No Man Has Gone Before, when the Traveller intimates that Wesley may have the ability to manipulate warp fields with his mind, which it self fits with Q's assertions in Encounter at Farpoint that the achievements of humanity will one day exceed even the achievements of the Q. The Traveller and Q both hinted that there is a truly grand cosmic destiny in store for the human race in the distant future. Too bad they never showed us any of what that destiny might have looked like.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I found them, they are hilarious.
    Here's the link--
    http://www.aoltv.com/bloggers/wil-wheaton

Fair warning, there is some naughty language.

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Juliet316, Sarge and CommanderDrenn like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Forging an "essentials" guide was the core concept (well, besides a general "watch DS9 fir B5 similarities" thoughts) behind my rewatch (which itself has taken an ungodly amount of time...).

It's actually proven quite useful for a rewatch I've been doing with a friend over the years, as well as a best of selection list I intend to share with another friend's children soon.

S1 has a couple eps- WNOHGB, Datalore, Skin of Evil, Conspiracy, etc that are still pretty enjoyable. I've even come to enjoy We'll Always Have Paris as a pretty decent early Picard story. And The Battle is *almost* half decent if not for the Ferengi and silly mind control plotline.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    Ah, I forgot Conspiracy. I always thought they'd continue that story, but to my disappointment, they didn't. I men, insects possessed a bunch of admirals and it only gets one episode? I guess it's for the best that season 1 stayed dead.

BigAl6ft6 and DarthBane93 like this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Datalore" is made a lot worse by every character being too stupid to see that Lore is dressed up as Data and Wesley the Genius is the only one who notices the obvious behavioral differences.

TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Conspiracy aliens were supposed to be what The Borg became. But someone watched Captain Power, liked Lord Dredd's look and decided the aliens should be cyborgs and so the insects were dropped and replaced.

As for the Ferengi- reading about their design in the magazine that accompanied the Marauder's model, I think they just failed to capitalize on the raider concept. Iran- until I read thus magazine I never knew the Ferengi Marauder's neck extended or retracted depending on its circumstances or that it has an extendable boarding ramp under its chin for ship raids.

If they had played off of the pirate angle more they might have had a better chance at seeming like a threat (and, yes, if they stopped jumping around like howling monkeys that wouldn't have hurt either...$

Juliet316, CT-867-5309 and Sarge like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Shut up Wesley!

TX-20, Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It did give us "Shut up, Wesley!" even if it did turn out he was right, because of course he was. Of the episodes I've watched since trimming a lot of fat, it's probably the weakest - though I'm watching "Skin of Evil" right now and... uh... Tasha Yar just got killed by a Tom Baker-era Doctor Who monster, so we may have a new contender. I know she left the show but, man, at least kill her in a fight with a convincing special effect.

Sarge likes this.
  10. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    It was a lame death for Tasha but I did find the alien scary. As a kid, at least.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Isn't there a goof on the episode before Skin of Evil where Denise Crosby waves goodbye in the background because it was her last episode filmed?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Skin of Evil may be a tad cheesy since it's your typical evil alien monster w/semi-low-budget effects for the most part- but that also makes it very TOS-like (and, yes, very Who-like).

But, as a kid, it was a pretty creepy episode (in fact, this episode and Conspiracy were probably the first TNG episodes I saw and they creeped the hell out of me).

BigAl6ft6 and CommanderDrenn like this.
  13. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    To me, a good story easily overcomes bad effects. Unfortunately, SoE is not a good story.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I kinda respect it for avoiding the "evil monster can be redeemed" cliche it was heading towards and instead stuck with "Nah, he's just a bastard".

(Though I admit I convey dissapointment at ROTK for doing the same thing with Gollum, but, different characters, different stories)

I mean, I suppose it's a cliche no matter which way you go, but Trek tends to defang their monsters more often than not, so for this franchise it's the lesser of two cliches.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    That's one of my favorite things about early seasons of TNG. So many times you're left with the feeling of: "what was that?" With creepy undertones, especially, were my favorites. It made space feel larger and how humanity is just a small piece in the cosmos.
    At the risk of going off topic (actually jumping off the cliff) I really enjoyed Gollum's fall (see what I did there?) as it was so compelling and resonated with me as someone who has made a lot of selfish mistakes. You could tell as soon as Frodo betrayed him, he was gone. Not completely, but he was too selfish to overcome what he deemed to be a monstrous betrayal, but which was, ironically, saving his life. (wait, I think I can bring this on topic) IMO, the SoE was just that, evil. He wasn't simply selfish, he was evil. And that's why I like those early seasons. One has to wonder, "Where did he come from?" "is he completely irredeemable?"
    Which I think he was. He killed simply for a pleasure, pleasure that had been denied to him completely for however many centuries he festered on the planet.

Oh, well. At least Tasha got a better death in "Yesterday's Enterprise."

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With Gollum it was more just my impression of TTT strongly implying a redemption and feeling ROTK ignored that complexity or at least reverted the character. I would have preferred a failed attempt at redemption at the very least.

But, yeah, you hit the distinction there: SOE was irredeemable even though they tried. The creature was more the devil than the "actual" devil they encountered later on in the series.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    In RotK the redemption tones were much more underplayed because he made his selfish choice at the end of TTT. He's only truly genuine once he has the Ring, and at point, I really do pity him, which is what makes him a compelling character for me. Until that point, he is an object of fear and ambition, but, at the end, you realize he is really a slave to his desire for the Ring, or, more precisely, the Ring itself.

Anyway, how 'bout them holo decks?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Always breaking down, amIright?

Darth_Invidious and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    "Captain, we can't beam them out because reasons, and the safeties are off and we can't toggle them because reasons."

"Why not just cut the power?"

"Reasons,"

TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I did like the episode and it stands up well aside from the hilarious FX shots at the end...even though dated FX like that puts a smile on my face.

Since they created the Borg I guess they just didnt come back to it. But I love the ending of the episode with those transmissions in space...eerie.

21. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Actually the best line out of Datalore is when lore says to Wesley "Are you prepared for the kind of death you've earned little man?!?". I always loved that.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I dig TNG S1 Conspiracy a hellova lot. I'm a sucker for Alien / The Thing rip offs. (Which, actually, First Contact does much more eloquently) Conspiracy actually has a pretty good tense / horror vibe throughout.

And as awkward and plodding as "Encounter at Farpoint" can be at times, the Q stuff is pretty grand and it sets up a lot of moments that pay off later in the series / movies.

TX-20 and Juliet316 like this.
  23. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    Yeah, Encounter at Farpoint was those at several points, but I think it introduced Picard to the impossible odds he would be facing throughout the series quite well.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Farpoint has it's moments that come from being a pilot film- over reliance on the main theme music, the Riker/Troi TMP Decker 2.0 romance moments are awkward, some of the Q/Picard moments suffer from contradictorly strange We Art Uber Human moments that plagued the first 2 seasons (in Farpoint, it would be Picard's outraged dismissal of military uniforms as "costumes"- despite the fact that they all still wear uniforms (that are more like costumes than uniforms) and Picard even wore the older Starfleet movie era uniforms that weren't that far off from the ones he was dismissing; later in the show it would be the "I have a cold" "A what!" type moments).

But it's flaws can be overlooked as AGT makes it worth trudging through them.

Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    John de Lancie's performance doesn't hurt.