main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Soooo...anyone really have confidence that Pegg is going to deliver a great ST3 script? Or will it just flog the horse further?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I loved In Darkness, so I shall respond to your post with a look of haughty derision.

JediKnight-Obi-Wan and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Haven't disliked any script that has Simon Pegg's name on it yet! And he's writing Star Trek too. I think it'll be pretty solid. Also the director is Justin Lin, and I'm in the midst of a bit of a Justin Lin movie binge, because I'm catching up on the Fast and Furious series- and also Better Luck Tomorrow (Lin directed & wrote Better Luck Tomorrow and a character who pops up in FF is in it and even John Cho aka JJ-verse Sulu is in it) and Lin has a good sense of dynamic frame arrangements, a couple of quieter moments, and a few gangbusters sequences (Fast & Furious has a really crazy oil-truck heist scene that kicks it off that has an awesome sense of momentum. Better Luck Tomorrow has a great scary bit involving the characters, a darkened garage, a baseball bat, and a gasoline soaked rag). Give him a nifty script and he can make a very decent looking movie.

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  5. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    Who's the more foolish?...the fool or....ah u know

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I'm a bit suspicious. You announce a new Star Trek series on April Fools Day? P'tak!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
  8. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    This is why I hate April Fools Day so much. Jokes are one thing, but so many people come up with great ideas like this and you just get mad that it isn't real.

Plus, wasn't Bryan Singer attached to the reboot back when Rick Berman still had a say?

9. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Bryan Singer was writing his pitch post-Enterrprise when the future of Trek was sort of up in the air. Then JJ Abrams was brought on board and Bryan Singer stuck his pitch a drawer.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Or more like Bryan Singer's pitch got sucked out the vacuum of space when Shinzon's ship blew out the front port of the Enterprise.

[​IMG]

At least I'm pretty sure Singer's random yellowshirt got killed in the finale of Nemesis. A hellova lot of Enterprise crewmen died that day, not just Data, Picard, even though you're getting all mopey about it (but B4 is there to be Data again anyway). Where is the mourning for Bryan Singer's random Lieutenant That Guy?

12. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    No matter what anyone says, I'd rather them do a TNG miniseries like they are gonna do with Xfiles. 10 EPs...epic end for TNG crew.

Make it so.

13. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    That last scene of Nemesis was really the only redeeming part. I still wish they hadn't killed Data, but at least it was, IMO, a worthy send off.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Only if Nemesis is ignored. And they get writers that love Trek for what it (usually) is. And they can't all still be on the Enterprise. That would be silly.

Maybe incorporate DS9 and Voyager into it, at least somewhat. While everyone's still alive!

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The last few weeks have seen a hellova lot of 90s revival announcements. CBS has the rights to all the TNG era TV stuff and generally any and all TNG/DS9/VOY vets seem to be into the idea (hell, some of 'em are making freakin' fan films). While I do advocate moving away from the 24th Century for another TV series, I think an epic miniseries TNG-era mash-up could be genius.

as for the Nemesis of it all, posted a few pages back that I think that flick is definitely gets more flack than it deserves.

I find it a better put together movie than Insurrection, at least.

The2ndQuest and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Agreed. Nemesis isn't a perfect movie, but they were clearly trying and the result is at least watchable.

The2ndQuest and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I do not own many, if any, Green Lantern comics. I will, however, own this:

[​IMG]

http://www.startrek.com/article/to-boldly-go-in-darkest-night

JJ-verse Chang with a yellow ring of power! Holy Kolker!

that being said, I still think this will always be the best Star Trek comic crossover moment wherein Spock nerve pinched Wolverine

[​IMG]

But Yellow Lantern Chang quoting Shakespere may come close.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. A Klingon Lantern full stop. Can we just make this a movie already? :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    You just know Spock's gonna wonder where the Green Lantern Corps were when Nero destroyed Vulcan.

Juliet316 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

"Something something yellow impurity something sorry about that, big galaxy and all. Hey, look, a Romulan!"

21. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    A little late to the party but a huge TNG fan. I've been rewatching episodes on BBC, and my wife started buying me the DVD's.

I'd like to comment though on one early episode: The Measure of a Man.

Maddox gives the crew his idea for replicating Data, which Data is okay with at first. Once Maddox shows he hasn't thought the process all the way through though, both Data and Picard express their concern. Instead of addressing their concerns, Maddox whips out orders for Data's transfer, basically saying, "Yeah I'm an idiot that wants to take Data apart even though I don't know how to put it back together again, but you have no choice in the matter." That means Star Fleet had authorized Maddox to commit murder.

Later, Maddox slithers into Data's quarters, picking up books, etc., and ignoring any polite attempts by Data to say, "Get the **** out!"

Maddox even gives the idiot argument; "Can the Enterprise refuse a refit?" Picard should've countered with, "Its captain can refuse if the officer in charge of said refit has proven he doesn't know a warp core from a refresher!"

When they finally agree on a hearing, Louvois forces Riker to represent Maddox. Also, didn't Data's being allowed into Star Fleet mean they agreed on his sentience? Now a star fleet officer wants to murder the Data for experiments that would create more expendable people. Considering everything Maddox did violated multiple regulations, and considering the entire trial was therefore illegal, wouldn't Louvois be guilty of entrapment for forcing Riker to participate against Data?

Sorry, but that episode really got under my skin, and I've been wanting to vent. I really wanted it to end with both Maddox getting arrested and Louvois getting disbarred, though the chair to the face would work as well.

TX-20, Jedi Merkurian and halibut like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Just did a bit of google-fu the question of "if Data was already a Starfleet officer, he was already recognized as sentient before the mess with Maddox" is that actually addressed in "Measure of a Man". Maddox was the only one who objected to Data being admitted. But he was overruled however at the time of "Measure of a Man", Maddox is higher up in the food chain so he can raise the issue again.

Juliet316 and vypernight like this.
  23. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    Hate Maddox. Haaaaaaate hiiimmmmm

Juliet316 , vypernight and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I wish I could like vyper's post more than once

vypernight likes this.
  25. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012

Yeah but after everything he pulled in that episode, he shouldn't be anywhere on the food chain for a long time. I'll give Data credit; he's got a heck of a lot more compassion than I do. After refusing Maddox's request, I would've immediately pressed charges against the moron.

BigAl6ft6 and halibut like this.