main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    If aliens from outer space ever come and we show them our civilization and they make fun of it, we should say we were just kidding,
    that this isn't really our civilization, but a gag we hoped they would like. Then we tell them to come back in twenty years to see
    our REAL civilization. After that, we start a crash program of coming up with an impressive new civilization. Either that, or just shoot
    down the aliens as they're waving good-bye.

-- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Voyage Home is so darn good, one of the various reasons is because it's just a really fun, quippy flick. Also it's a super-quippy flick that has Star Trek actors in it. Also considering how many quips has been in Star Trek since the 1960s, they finally did a movie where, screw it, let the actors riff. But there is a truly deep Star Trek story at the heart of the film. And it also serves as a decent coda for TWOK. And it's awesome.

I'm actually totally okay if the 4th Bad Robot Trek flick slashes the budget. Star Trek does some gold when under a restricted budget and also I would be totally okay if there was a TVH-esque movie with the Kelvin Timeline crew that just let them riff. Star Trek Beyond came close but need moar riffing, dammit!

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Netflix Canada had the red "New Episodes!" banner underneath "Star Trek", which was a really What the H moment. Wow, Netflix IS pretty powerful if they can make new episodes of Star Trek!

Turns out it's only 1 episode, and it's The Cage. And they put it as the very first episode. Not quite sure how I feel about that, let's say someone decides "I'm going to give this Star Trek show with Kirk and the colourful uniforms a try!" and they boot up the first episode and get Pike and salmon turtlenecks. And then a few episodes later, they get basically the same episode again in a two-parter! Now, I'm not sure if this person exists but could be a thing.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, where else would you put The Cage? It's both the pilot and and chronologically first episode.

And I think it's safe to say people can figure out that the episode without Kirk is probably a bit different than what they know about the show going in.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    BBCAmerica is airing episodes of TOS.

6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm getting caught up again. Sept. 15th marked the premiere date of two important Spock-centered episodes.

In 1967, on TOS, it was "Amok Time":

And in 1973, on TAS, it was "Yesteryear":

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, BBC America is airing TOS in addition to TNG like they have been doing. I got to see several episodes over the 50th Anniversary weekend, including Balance of Terror, Errand of Mercy, The City on the Edge of Forever, Catspaw, The Trouble with Tribbles, Amok Time, The Doomsday Machine, Space Seed, I, Mudd, and Mirror, Mirror. I had seen several of these episodes over the years, but it was refreshing to see something more than TNG. I even saw Encounter at Farpoint, which was on in the middle of the night during the Anniversary weekend and proved that Riker was amazing from the very beginning.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Encounter at Far Point? Ugh. IMO, Patrick Stewart was the only good thing about it.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    You're forgetting something...

(Please forgive the poor quality; it's the best I could find of just that scene.)

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    OK, two good things about Far Point.

11. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Hey now? Q showed up too!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

And Q+everything=better

13. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Wow TNG 30th anniversary next year! Time flys!

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I didn't care much for season 1 Q. He got much better as time went on and deLancie and the writers got a better grasp of the character and his sense of humor.

TX-20, True Sith, PCCViking and 2 others like this.
  15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Picard was fascinating, especially with Q testing humanity, and the dynamic between Riker and Troi was interesting.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yes, time flies when you're under sedation.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I like Encounter at Farpoint for A) introduction of the TNG crew B) Q. The "Mystery of Farpoint Station" plot is definitely a bit of bunk. As I found out with that Panic on the Bridge documentary, Gene Roddeberry rewrote the script to make it 2 hours and added Q, although the original writer of the episode, D.C. Fontana was't a fan of adding Q. (she also worked on TOS and wrote the only TAS episode I think that I really dig and stands with TOS' upper level stuff which is Yesteryear).

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    She also wrote Journey to Babel, which may be my favorite episode of all Treks ever.

19. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    On this date in 1968:

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So CBS and Viacom may merge. Important, how? Well, Viacom owns Paramount. The Paramount / CBS split in the mid 2000s was what led to splitting Star Trek TV and movies to different companies but if they're all under the same umbrella again, some back and forth between movies (and Star Trek TV shows leading into movies like TOS and TNG did) may have much less red tape than it has for a decade or so. No more sitting through a CBS logo at the end of Star Trek episodes, back to the Paramount DAH-DAH-DAH-DAHHHH! mountain thingie.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Honestly, having been watching the shows via DVD quality versions for my project for the past 10 years, this is the most improtant thing to come out of that possibility.

Though, it is funny for them to have split and then merged.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Cue up Star Trek transporter accident puns / tweets / headlines

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Remarriage can be a wonderful thing.........

Can.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    On this date in 1987...

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Why didn't the TNG gals keep the skirts is what I wanna know. No, this is not a reason to post the Enterprise-D guy in the skirt pic in response.