main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Oh man the feels! Best part of the movie was when Kelvan Spock was looking at the old gang! My heros are going to the big spacedock in the sky!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...

[​IMG]

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Scott Bakula was great as Archer but, honestly, Scott Bakula is great as anything so even if writing Archer was a bit .... shaky (ala how Janeway would swap character traits any given episode) Bakula could pull it off. And Mulgrew could too, mind you. Basically, anyone who has played a Captain on Star Trek (any series, any timeline) has done a pretty great job.

4. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    There's cast there spanning from TOS all the way to ENT, and to the latest movie with Grunberg being included. Damn, that's impressive.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Haha it looks like Shatner is looking at Takei with loathing.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

That wouldn't be surprising, They've never particularly liked each other according to what I've heard.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  8. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    So it's true. They all really hate each other :(.

9. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    So far as I know, De got along with everyone.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  12. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Lest we forget...
    [​IMG]

13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Granted, I am not as big Star Trek fan as many of you, but I thought I would recognise more than five people, plus the big guy out of Heroes and TFA (no idea what he has to do with Star Trek.

I only recognise Kirk, Sulu, Chekov, Ensign Kim and Quark from ST.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Turn in your nerd card.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He's in Star Trek Beyond as a Starfleet Officer in charge of Starbase Yorktown's defensive grid.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

And James Kirk's stepdad.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    dp4dp

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you both.

What nerd card? I lost that while still in school from being convinced Vader wasn't Luke's Dad.

But apparently everyone deserves a second chance, and I could have gotten it back last year, then blew it at the last moment from not recognising Michael Dorn in Ted 2 until I saw his name in the credits!

:([face_sigh]

Sarge likes this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    He's best buds with JJ Abrams, thus his appearances in most of his productions, including TFA.

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah right! So he will likely be somewhere in Westworld for instance, will he? I think Abrams is involved with that.

21. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Massive Trek nerd here. On a lark, I picked up the first issue of "Star Trek: Boldy Go" which is basically IDW's renumbered comic series, this one now picking up after "Star Trek Beyond." And I loved it. In part because the USS Endeavour is Kirk's temporary command, and way back in the late 90's to early 2000's I was part of a Play-By-E-Mail Trek Sim on a ship of the same name. That aside, however, the art and story is just as solid as IDW's other Trek and franchise series. Also, a threat shows up that is new to Kirk and Crew but well-established in the canon already.

Anyway, if you like comics and Trek, IDW's stuff is definitely worth it!

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, wait, it's set after STB and the first thing they do is take him off of the Enterprise? Or is it still being constructed?

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This "threat"...it's not the Borg is it?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    presumably- this is the Kelvinverse vs Borg comic that was being talked about a couple months ago:

[​IMG]

It might depend on how much of Trek, or what Trek, you're generally familiar with. Some of the other more recognizable faces would presumably be:

Top Row: Jeffrey Combs (played several alien characters [ENT: Shran, DS9: Weyoun & Brunt], so he'd be less familiar outside of the makeup), Tucker [ENT] (far right, next to Heroes guy)

Row behind Shatner: Malcolm Reed [ENT] (saluting), Ezri Dax [DS9 Season 7] next to him, Rom [out of makeup] over Shatner's shoulder, Jadzia Dax [facing away from camera]

Shatner Row: Gowron [out of makeup], Leeta (to the right of the guy in blue NASA jacket), Troi, Borg Queen (far right)

So, 4 of them might be because of the lack of alien makeup, 2 might be because they're from ENT (the Trek series folks are probably least likely to have seen/be familiar with), 1 perhaps because you might not have gotten to the end of DS9 or don't remember it as well as the first 6 seasons, 1 because they're not looking at the camera, 1 who was a relatively supporting character by comparison and the rest, in general, to general ageing most likely.

If any of the conditions apply to you, might explain not recognizing them. The others? Yeah, I'd probably have to look them up too. ;)

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I may have to pick up the new version of the Star Trek Encyclopedia, especially with the deep discount via Amazon Prime. My old one - the one-volume softback - is getting kind of ratty, and plus had that weird 'additional material' section for the newer seasons that defeated the entire purpose of having an encyclopedia.

It's weird to think that whatever Star Wars equivalent (when/if it ever comes out) is going to be backtracking from the last one... [face_laugh]