main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

And Phage.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

No. Do not go there.

3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Which? Berman and Braga getting Trek right or DW being cancelled?

It happened before...McCoy goes out, Stewart comes in. Bakula goes out, Eccleston comes in.

[​IMG]

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Who being cancelled, though Berman **** all over Enterprise and Trek as a whole with the Enterprise finale, IMO.

Besides
    Moffatt's leaving at the end of Series 10 and Chibnall's taking over in series 11. Who's not going anywhere for at least another few years.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Thompson did a decent job, especially in Dark Frontier where she cranked up the Borg dominion aspect of it, but Krige just nails it, especially in First Contact. Seeing her back for the Voyager finale was great. Makes you wonder why they didn't just use her the whole time.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Supposedly, they actually did try to get Krige back (despite the script specifying that the DF Queen was a different model than the FC Queen) but, for reasons unknown to even Thompson, Krige was unavailable (likely having to do with the late-in-the-year casting timeframe severely limiting TV casting availability in Hollywood- this is also why they had to recast Seven's parents for DF).

So they called in Thompson, who had actually auditioned for the role of the Queen in FC.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Jedi Daniel, Juliet316 and TX-20 like this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

EDIT: **** **** ****

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the positive news is that Fuller is still involved in terms of breaking the stories and providing the overall vision and framework for the series- plus he wrote the two episodes, so even if the new showrunner shifts things, they're still working from solid ground.

Also, one could probably speculate that many of the delays the show has had up until this point could be because of Fuller's full plate, so him stepping back in his role could help accelerate the production.

11. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Which would be all well and good if there was any casting news or if they have even started filming, neither of which I think anyone has heard about. We are something like 6 or 7 months from when this is supposed to premier. This is starting to feel like a smoke and mirrors thing. Let alone that the CBS All Access could very well be DOA before DSC ever hits the web.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    It's one villager tweet away from being Star Trank.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ermmmmmmmmm..... damn. That just ... not so good. But it seems Fuller is still guiding the grand arc of the show and the pilot scripts. Poor fella just has too much dang work!

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's one reason why Hannibal didn't get another season- there was a window for, I believe, Amazon to renew the series but it conflicted with Fuller's other commitments. And so, we wait for Season 4 to arrive someday.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Fuller was the only reason I had any optimism. He has the creativity and drive to make good, innovative Trek after a bunch of shallow retreads and a misguided prequel series. Kurtzman is staying on and two guys I've never heard of are now the showrunners. And CBS.

16. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I love Thompson. Her episode of DS9 playing Lenara Khan was amazing. Pretty sure I fell in love with her in that one.

17. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    That was unexpected...

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Refresh my memory please, who was Lenara Khan?

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Dax's ex wife person.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Oh, the one who kissed Terry Farrell! Some people are born lucky.

TX-20 likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I ain't hitting the panic button yet. 1) There are a lot of "showrunners" who don't specifically run a single show day to day (Shanda Rhymes, Howard Gordon of 24 / Homeland, Greg Belranti superhero shows) but they all have a very distinct and similar vibe. And the Variety article, I believe, mentioned that Fuller wouldn't be day to day but he's still the guy at the top. 2) Nick Meyer is on the writing staff, dangnabit. The guy hasn't written any bad Star Trek, ever.

TX-20 and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    BigAl6ft6, yeah all the good things that happened in the TOS film series were due to Leonard Nimoy and Nicholas Meyer.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Wouldn't quite go THAT far, I always think Shatner's performance in the movies added a lot, especially in Star Trek IV (and the whole cast chemistry in that movie is great). And lets not forget producer Harve Bennet who was basically given Star Trek ("Make for less than 35 million $%&*$ dollars!" was his marching orders and, lo, Wrath of Khan). But, yeah, Nick Meyer is good at this whole Star Trek thing and even if he only pens one script for Discovery, I'd be happy.

TX-20 likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And just for perspective, let's also not forget that one of the most expensive pilots ever produced combined with an extended production timeframe for the launch of a full, brand-new TV network resulted in... Voyager. So, the opposite of many of Discovery's apparent concerns will not necessarily result in a homerun, either.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Belated Happy Birthday to...

[​IMG]