main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Belated Happy Birthday to...

[​IMG]

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Thread relevant

[​IMG]

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I finished the 3rd season Xindi arc, and naturally I'll be skipping the first two episodes of season four. Sad that the aftermath of the Xindi arc was interrupted by such crap.

The Xindi arc was neat, I guess. I've always appreciated the designs of the Xindi, always thought the Insectoids and Amphibians were pretty cool. Got pretty dark there for a few episodes late in the season. It was pretty devastating to see the Enterprise completely wrecked with six episodes to go and no reset button. Humans triumphed mostly by talking to their enemies, instead of just killing everyone, which is always nice, and in keeping with Trek.

I like the style of the first two seasons better, though the execution was often lacking. Will be nice to get back to that to finish off the series.

TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't hate it that much that the Xindi arc basically ends with Space Nazis, even though it literally doesn't have a damn thing to do with the Xindi but, hey, Space Nazis! Admittedly, it isn't as awesome as Killing Game but I'll take Space Nazis whenever I can gets it.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That's something that I really liked about Enterprise and in retrospect have come to dislike about Voyager. Voyager should have been flying scrap heap by the end of the series.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Insurrection had characters?

8. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I liked the orginal idea for Voyager in that season after season it would of had more alien parts bolted on. Oh well.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So that basically just goes with the DS9 DVD set to serve in the absence of an HD release.

12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...
    [​IMG]

...and on this date in 1966, this was broadcast on NBC...

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    In a Mirror, Darkly

So I've never bothered to watch these particular episodes before now, as I don't really care for the ST mirror universe.

Well, I didn't care for this, either. The theme was cool, some of the designs were amusing (Mayweather's hair), but other than a very few small things I didn't find any enjoyment in it. I just don't care about anything that's going on, at all, and I'm just not amused by any of this.
    It's a complete waste of time, and not even a fun one. I much prefer canon wastes of time.

The story/plot itself is completely uninspiring and is really just a backdrop for pointless contrarianism. Hey, watch Hoshi sleep around. Look, Trip's face is scarred. Who cares? There's some story about a Terran Empire but who cares because it has no relevance to anything. Am I really supposed to be shocked (or amused) by the idea of a ruthless version of Star Trek at this point? Is the idea of the Terran Empire in contrast to the Federation supposed to do anything for me at this point? Yeah, it was fun the first time around, some 50 years ago, but it's just not shocking anymore. Enterprise's characters, and the show itself, aren't developed/defined/consistent enough to effectively contrast, anyway, like TOS was.

Because the contrast doesn't do anything for me, it's like watching two episodes from a completely different series, with no context or reason to care. Instead of watching some other show, I'd rather just watch more episodes of the show I've been watching this entire time.

14. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I was never fond of those episodes either, the mirror universe had gotten pretty stale by that point. It was great early on in DS9 (evil Kira was really entertaining), but they ran out of good ideas even there eventually.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    DS9's mirror episodes did run out of steam by the end but I think ENT's made it interesting by going into the backstory of that universe and the Terran Empire.

Not to mention it has at least minor consequences for the Prime Universe- in that it deals with the fate of the Constitution-class Defiant (making the OG Constitution-class actually seem advanced and powerful in the process, for arguably the first time), presents some hints at Prime Archer & Hoshi's potential fates and explores updates of TOS-era designs like the Gorn (not as successful) and Tholians (very successful).

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Constitution class starships weren't advanced and powerful? Remember General Order 17?

DaddlerTheDalek and Sarge like this.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I remember the Enterprise under the control of Dr. Daystrom's M5 computer. It nearly singlehandedly destroyed an entire strike force.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'd forgotten about that :eek:

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey does anyone have the new Trek Encyclopedia? I'm hoping to get it for Xmas.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

The "You know you're a nerd when" thread is thataway.

21. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    24! I rewatched A Taste of Armageddon recently and was kinda shocked that the Federation had a general order for planetary sterilization.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Has the Star Trek universe ever explained what killed the media forms of entertainment in the future: no advanced forms of radios, tv, movies, eventually the internet. We're these considered old time trends?

We all know they still had books and performed plays.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In the TNG and later eras, holonovels seemed to be the popular form of interactive entertainment for the masses. I'd choose that over today's version of mass media, no question.

cerealbox likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

The question that's never answered, however, is how widespread are holodecks outside of starships, space stations and places like Quark's? Does the average house have a holosuite as a standard thing or do people go to the neighbourhood holosuite the way we go to the movies?

cerealbox likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The books the characters read and the music they listened to were all public domain stuff. That's why no one listened to rock or read Lord of the Rings or watched any recent (for us) movie-- rights issues. Plus, it would have been an enormous undertaking to come up with original 24th-century popular media and it could have (and probably would have) easily ended up looking ridiculous. As I recall, however, we didn't see the tastes of most of the characters. Picard's thing was the public domain books/plays and jazz was mostly Riker.