main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Just interesting how Roddenberry could predict flip phones but not mass media.

Or rather, he could have but chose not to use them.

Of course now we have to deal with Beastie Boys sabotaged. So I guess I can see his point.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think the idea was that television was a lazy form of entertainment. There's this idea that everyone in the future spends all their time improving themselves. Reading classic literature, listening to or performing classical music, performing classic plays; these are all high artistic pursuits.

We know that no one technically needs a job in the future, yet everyone pursues some kind of work, anyway. Usually something that contributes to society. No one just sits around and plays video games all day.

I'm aware this might be somewhat contradicted by bits of canon, but it was always the idea I got from watching TNG, especially the early seasons helmed by Roddenberry. Later, there's television in both DS9 (Nog on the holodeck) and Voyager (Paris had a television).

xezene and Sarge like this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    cerealbox Mass media existed before the internet. :p And TNG (Mike Okuda) "predicted" tablet computers!

Well, we mostly only ever see Starfleet characters and people such as scientists and diplomats and political officials. We don't see a whole lot of "normal" people-- those who may not be good enough for Starfleet and probably don't want to be in it. We do occasionally get human/Federation characters who don't like and distrust Starfleet. Starfleet is basically a (more-or-less) peace-loving military force; people are held to a certain standard, especially on a prestigious posting such as the Enterprise. Barclay did what many people would do with the Holodeck, but everyone else was baffled by it (even Riker, who had fallen in love with a holodeck character, lol).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I could never understand how Oicard's older brother continues to only operate a vineyard. And that's it. Come on. It's the future.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't think people were baffled by his behavior on the Holodeck, just the program utilizing fellow crewmembers (I seem to recall that being Riker's complaint). Given the seemingly normal nature of Quark's holosuites being used as brothels I think folks were aware...

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Like CT said, he doesn't really need a job anyway. :p And he's an old fogie in order to serve as a foil to his brother. I think it worked well.
    He didn't know what Barclay was doing on the holodeck at first. What bothered him was Barclay not doing his duty to the best of his ability.

And I mean they're baffled that someone could be so immersed in the holodeck at all.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Data paints, writes poetry and plays the violin. Picard also dabbles in music a little bit and Crusher is an amateur actor, while Riker plays jazz.

I think its subtly implied that Tom is a bit of a pop culture nerd. Not only does he have a TV, and a juke box, but his Captain Proton program is blatantly influenced by 30s pulp sci-fi and adventure serials.

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Subtly? They had entire episodes devoted to his love of 20th century pop culture!

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Well, yeah they explored that aspect of his character more fully later on, but in the The 37s, for example, everyone was really surprised that he knew what AM radio was.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    We have seen a few normal folks in civilian places. Waiters and other servers. Surely that job isn't necessary? Sisko's dad runs a restaurant in an era of replicators. While Jake and Nog play around a lot, Jake ends up dabbling in writing and journalism.

There are lots of little bits that point to humanity outgrowing mindless entertainment the way humanity "outgrew" revenge or the pursuit of wealth.

But yeah, there are things that contradict this. In "The Neutral Zone", the unfrozen hillbilly asks about the "boob tube". Data says television didn't last much beyond 2040. Yet, first contact with the Vulcans was in 2063? The year 2040 would have been in the middle of WWIII. Though I suppose it's possible that they didn't really have the timeline down all that well back in the first season of TNG.

Also in "The Neutral Zone", Picard says this to the rich guy:

"The challenge, Mister Offenhouse, is to improve yourself. To enrich yourself. Enjoy it."

Enjoy improving yourself, enriching yourself. Not enjoy being a layabout.

In "When The Bough Breaks", children are kidnapped and encouraged to be artists and musicians.

Of course there's the line in First Contact.

"The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity."

This sentiment is littered throughout TNG, and I take it as a sort of Word of God description of humanity.

In "Bloodlines", the one with Picard's fake son, we get this.

PICARD: What were you doing in the caves, Jason? Are you a seismologist?
    JASON: No, I just enjoy climbing.
    PICARD: Without an antigrav harness?
    JASON: No, they get in the way.
    PICARD: So, what do you do?
    JASON: I'm between jobs right now.
    PICARD: I see.

The idea of someone doing nothing doesn't seem to sit well.

This is just my take, of course. I may be taking the idea a bit too far.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What I mean is they usually seemed evenly or under-matched against its contemporaries like the D7 or Bird of Prey. It never really outmatched anything.

Combine that with it's frailer look (nacelle struts, etc) and more rounded-edge styling compared to the more robust/sturdy Refit and it never really gave me the impression of strength- just a capable vessel that usually got by more on the skill/luck of its crew rather than its tactical or defensive capabilities (not helped by seeing most of the other Constitutions featured being damaged/destroyed/lost).

But throw her up against ENT-era ships and suddenly she actually feels big, powerful and from the future. In that setting she was the equivalent of the Vengeance (just not as ridiculously OP).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  13. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Daughter of the Seventh House of Betazed, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Ryx, Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed. And a fine nurse, to boot.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Number One number one.

16. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

[​IMG]

CAAAAAAANNEEE......CAAAAANNNEEEEE!!!!

17. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...

[​IMG]

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Randy from DHC just said on FB that the TNG/Aliens crossover comic that was announced a couple months ao now may no longer happen.

No other details, though he did later say that , while some crossovers are natural (like AVP), "not every crossover needs to happen".

I admit I was curious to see how they'd balance the situation so that a single phaser wouldn't solve all of their problems, but I'm not entirely sad to see it go.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Good. Some ideas are just too terrible to merit development.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah. Just because you can mash up two unrelated franchises doesn't automatically mean that you should.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    On this date in 1967, this was broadcast over NBC-TV...

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Shatner is absolute gold in Tribbles. He doesn't find the Tribbles really cute either, he's just squarely focused on getting that grain shipment and generally everything is irritating him, from the station commander on down.

As for me, I am going to hold a lonely memorial for the Alien vs Star Trek: TNG crossover. I would have loved every page of it. It would have been so splatter-y. Although I would just randomly guess that the series would probably kick off, continue at least until May and Fox didn't exactly want to have their comic license promoting Star Trek around the time Alien: Covenant hits (and theoretically also the month when Star Trek: Discovery premieres). Also I'm sure DH would like to have Pure Aliens Branded Books on the shelf on May when the movie hits and not a wacky crossover.

There's always September 2016, hahahah.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

The bar brawl is hilarious. Scotty doesn't care if you insult Captain Kirk, but he'll beat the crap out of anyone who insults the Enterprise.

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    For Voyager fans: BBCAmerica is going to start airing the series from the beginning, starting at Midnight.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Voyager? No thanks, I'm busy whenever that's on. I-)

TX-20 likes this.