main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

"Number One, I order you to take a number two."

"First Contact" and the Borg episodes of "Voyager" pretty much works in the context of Colonial Marines versus the Xenomorphs.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    So does Species 8472.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've always said take away the Cochrane / time travel stuff and First Contact is basically Aliens. Which I am totally okay with because it's a great version of Aliens. And the Cochrane stuff adds the Trekkie history favour. And one of my favourite James Cromwell performances and that's sayin something. Originally Tom Hanks was up for it, and that would have been great too, but he had to work on a movie so they got Cromwell who already had a few TNG eps under his belt. Also, the earlier draft it was Riker on the Enterprise and Picard trying to get The Phoenix up in the air. I can't believe they did a whole draft of that when clearly you want Picard fighting the Borg.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Riker also wouldn't have had Picard's blindness. When it became clear that the Enterprise was lost, he would have immediately set the auto-destruct and bugged out.

5. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I've read that version of First Contact. Glad that they changed it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Recently, I read the first part of the two-volume history "The 50-Year Voyage". In that book, focusing on TOS, it's heavily implied that "Trouble with Tribbles" cost Gene Coon his job. Supposedly, Roddenberry was ticked off that Coon approved the comedy-oriented "Tribbles" and "I, Mudd", but he (Roddenberry) took the show far more seriously. In the end, according to the book, Coon was pretty much forced to resign. Previously, I'd understood that Coon had quit because he was just burned out from the heavy workload.

Has anyone else heard of this?

7. BookLover20

BookLover20 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2016
    Reposting from the last TV episode thread:

Spent the last week powering through the first season of Star Trek: Enterprise. As a relative newcomer to the show, I definitely found it the weakest of the lot. The only episodes that have really stuck out in my mind are 1x07 "The Andorian Incident," 1x15 "Shadows of P'Jem," and 1x26 "Shockwave Part I," the season finale.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...

[​IMG]

...and on this date in 1968, this was broadcast on NBC-TV:

9. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
  11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Just watched The Outrageous Okana.

[​IMG]

Yeah, that means two Trek alumni slept with the same 007 in the same film. There has just got to be a Brosnan cameo in Discovery! Yes, we actually don't see him sleep with Mei but it's implied enough in the end.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    She'll always be Lois Lane to me.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just finished a complete watch of DS9. That show is amazing. What do I do now?

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Any other series you haven't seen yet? Do that!

For all of the flak Trek gets for being same-y, each one actually is pretty distinct. Variable quality, sure, but I'd never, ever say a Trek series was awful. Hell, I'd say each and every series at least has an installment of fantastic episodes. Certainly more than most long-running franchises.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There are good episodes in every series, but DS9 was the only one that was an amazing story, not just a collection of unrelated episodes. Voyager and Enterprise both could have followed DS9's lead, but they just meandered off into one episode reset land. Pity.

18. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Get Doctor Bashir to alter your memories and start Deep Space Nine again. For the first time.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I really liked DS9's arc story, and to be honest they were the best show to do overall arcs easily, but I do think the Star Trek is most suited for done in one episodic shows. It's literally about a ship flying from different planets each week. DS9 (mostly) wasn't so it had to take a different angle by design.

Speaking of DS9, random episode I watched while drunkenly choosing to was Empok Nor, pretty dark but a cool way to do a "bottle" episode (except it's a different station but clearly they just stripped down the DS9 sets). Although I think when Garak goes nuts is awesome he does get away with, well, murder with a bit of a shrug that it wasn't his fault. Bryan Fuller story sourced episode so there's a lot of jabber between the good guy (O'Brien) and the bad guy (Garak) about how they're the same, which totally popped up later on Hannibal.

Did I mention how awesome it is to have all the Star Treks available on a digital on demand on a whim? Cuz it is pretty awesome. Go Netflix Canada Go! (Too bad it didn't get Discovery, argh.)

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  20. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Arguably, Enterprise showed that the standalone episodes isn't necessarily the best and that longer running arcs can work in that format. Season 3 of Enterprise specifically.

TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Enterprise Season 3 is a great example of how I would personally like a balance of arc to standalone. There is something literally driving the whole season but they literally had time for a wacky time travel episode or Archer on a Western planet, etc. DS9 S7 was pretty good at that too, although I'm not the biggest fan of it's back stretch of interconnected episodes to the What You Leave Behind finale but more than half the season has some nifty standalone stuff in it that still takes place in the Dominion War sort of happening Over There.

The biggest reason I'm more partial to standalones on Star Trek as opposed to arcs is because when you arc, you arc. When you can do standalones, you can do wacky, experimental and wild stuff which oftentimes results in some of Star Trek's best singluar episodes.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Axanar lawsuit has been settled.

From that article:

"But finally, the two parties have managed to come to an agreement. In it, Axanar Productions and Alec Peters, the man behind the films, acknowledge that Axanar and its prequel, Prelude to Axanar, “were not approved by Paramount or CBS, and that both works crossed boundaries acceptable to CBS and Paramount relating to copyright law.” The agreement allows Peters and his company to release Axanar, but only as two 15-minute segments that can be put on YouTube without ads. (I am sure one of the reasons that Paramount and CBS were so mad at this film in particular was because it might make money off ads.) Prelude to Axanar will still be viewable, but it will also not have ads.

The version of Axanar that will be released will not be the version Peters originally intended to release. The agreement requires “substantial” changes and that Axanar hew to the aforementioned fan film guidelines released by CBS and Paramount."

More details at TrekMovie.

So, at least we're going to get something out of this, even if it is a reduced version/vision confined to the fan film death rules (but then, the Axanar production also doesn't have to pay any fines, either, which I imagine is a big win for them, all things considered).

Axanar does get some exceptions to the fan film rules though, it seems- while no one who has worked for CBS/Paramount in the past can work on the film (or other fan films), they are allowed Richard Hatch, Kate Vernon, J.G. Hertzler and Hary Graham. Director Robert Meyer Burnett is likely prevented from working on it, however.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Everyone wins but the fans.

The fans who paid $1mm for a GoFundMe or whatever get totally not what they paid for, especially since all of the cast has already disappeared for the most part (and there are rumors the script suuuuuuuuucks) instead of the good actors and feature-film length. Also, no refunds.

Paramount gets what they wanted, as Axanar have to follow the new fanfilm guidelines and no chance of this almost-certain turkey causing them any harm.

Axanar gets their entire studio they wanted funded by fans and no longer have to deliver with cover from Paramount.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Personally, if they have to reduce a feature-length to 2x 15 min, perhaps returning to the documentary style of Prelude would be in the project's best interest ("Epilogue to Axanar"), maybe even for just the second episode. Force them to focus on the middle chapter for whatever else they want to salvage in a non-doc format.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    JG Hertzler is in Axanar? Somebody please tell me he's playing a Klingon!

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.