main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Lest we forget...

[​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek and Juliet316 like this.
  2. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Drunk Kirk? Oh, you just accurately described the last two Trek films.

PCCViking, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ever notice how it's always "Captain of THE Enterprise", "Target THE Enterprise", "Take THE Defiant", etc but never "Captain of THE Voyager", "Target THE Voyager", etc? Always just "Voyager" or "the USS Voyager".

Just a random observation, heh.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I've noticed that. I've also noticed that there's an early episode where Tom refers to "the Voyager" and it sounds wrong.

The2ndQuest and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It could have been worse. They could have substituted Kirk for Troi and called it, "Women Drivers".

7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    *double facepalm, groan turns into whine*

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, that was the part I didn't like about Generations, because I knew it'd would inspire all kinds of the stupid 'woman driver' jokes that it has since.

9. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Just the one?

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Some of the plank/Data emotion chip gags fell flat, but overall, I've enjoyed Generations each time I've viewed it.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Generations I've appreciated more as time has gone on. Initially, it was hard to not compare it against the superior All Good Things and, then, later, First Contact. But it feels like it has the most TNG DNA in it and probably has the most Star Trek-like story of the TNG films in the cerebral sense.

That Nemesis was mixed/disappointing and Insurrection was dull garbage didn't hurt further that perception, I suppose, but I think Generations improves even outside that context.

The only major flaws to the film are probably having to shoehorn in Kirk and how the Nexus sequence brings the momentum of the film to a grinding halt during what should be its climax.

TX-20 likes this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I liked how Data sings while searching for lifeforms; Lursa and B'tor's comments about human women; and their comment about "he must be the only engineer who doesn't go to engineering." :D

TX-20 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Generations was a fine action/adventure. I do enjoy it and actually enjoy Picard and Kirk's interactions, plus even some of Data's further discovery of his humanity. It's just the glaring plot holes that kind of hold it back - the Nexus can take you ANYWHERE and ANYTIME. There's a five minute resolution right there.

But that destruction of the USS Enterprise? Possibly the best use of models and miniatures in the history of cinema. Yep, even rivalling Star Wars.

TX-20, The2ndQuest and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was getting awfully tired of the Klingon Bird of Prey model by the time they made Generations. Let's look at what that model did in the Trek films:

III: attacked the Enterprise
    IV: filled in for the Enterprise
    V: attacked the Enterprise
    VI: attacked the Enterprise
    VII: attacked the Enterprise

Seriously, that was getting tiresome. Were the writers that unimaginative? Or was the budget for models and VFX that limited? I was happy to see a new Klingon design in VI, but then that ship wasn't the one that got the big battle.

TX-20 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, IV's use of the BOP was narratively-based (they would be using whatever they ended the last film in, and they needed to cloak while in the past). V's use was almost certainly a budget issue. VI was probably more to differentiate between the cruiser and Chang's ship (itself needing to be a smaller attack ship, so a BOP is logical).

VII's use was probably both budget and narrative-based. The reuse of the VI explosion stock footage and TNG Enterprise stock footage in the film, as well as cutting out some larger sequences like the Romulan attack on the observatory and the Duras sisters fighting the crew in the jungle all suggest budget concerns.

On the flipside, in TNG (and DS9) they've pretty much shown the BOP to be the backbone of the Empire and the most commonly encountered ship type. The only other ones, the Vor'cha and the Emperor's flagship, would not be something the exiled Duras sisters would have access to- and a BOP would make more sense than something unique.

They built a pretty big saucer for that one. It looks a little weird coming in through the clouds but everything after that is pretty excellent.

The whole crash sequence is intense, but I think that's because it's the Enterprise the audience has spent the most time "aboard", so it's like ripping apart your home or witnessing a family member's long, excruciating death.

(and there's a bunch of deleted scenes from that crash sequence, so what we got was actually pared down)

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Funny, you just described my experience of Star Trek: Voyager from Season 5 and onwards despite there being no crash sequence.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, 5x06...

:-B :D

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I admit my memory of the series trajectory is hazy, but what exactly killed Voyager from season 5 onward? The first 2 or 3 seasons weren't good. "Scorpion" was a good "soft reboot" in the vein of "Way of the Warrior" in DS9 and Seven was an interesting character, but I don't remember it really sticking in part because they made the Borg weaker as time went on ("Unimatrix Zero"). Plus DS9 was the better show to begin with.

TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can't answer that definitively, as I still have 2 seasons to go, but the impression I get is that it was the last season or two was where things went awry, as Season 5 was pretty strong- even though the things that went wrong in 6+ had their DNA in Seasons 4 & 5.

1) They didn't know what to do with certain characters (thus Chakotay and Beltran's generally valid criticisms, the Doctor/Seven/Janeway focus, etc) .

2) They didn't know where or how to end the show (thus wasting much of the last season where they should have been wrapping up character arcs instead of randomly introducing stuff like Seven/Chakotay*, etc). I almost get the impression that Voyager should have returned to earth at the end of the 6th season/season 7 premiere so that the 7th season could properly decompress the crew's return home (not to mention potential post-Dominion War effects on them/their loved ones/friends) and, perhaps, use some kind of setup of "the Borg [or something worse] is coming, we'll help implement this Delta Quadrant knowledge we've accumulated to ready Starfleet" for the finale.

As it is, the series finale is almost an extended, but inferior, remake of Timeless (the episode with that crash sequence).

3) Cast cohesion causing BTS issues that was probably reflected in the writing and story structures. Beltran had his issues, Mulgrew and Ryan apparently didn't get along at all, they arbitrarily almost booted Wang instead of Lien, etc.

*Granted, TNG tried that with Worf and Troi in its final season, but that worked and this did not and here we are.

TX-20 likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

lol, what? If you mean "It was fun in 'Parallels' and should have stayed there" then sure... :p

BigAl6ft6 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd like to believe that they gave dating a go for a little bit, and then right before Generations, they decided they were better off friends and parted on good terms. Troi fell back in love with Riker and Worf met Jadzia.

You know, I would have loved for Troi to have put in a guest appearance on an episode of DS9 (before Farrell left), if only to see Worf squirm at seeing his wife and his ex talking about him and (possibly) comparing notes.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I like that idea. I've always said it would have been interesting if Ezri had been a man. It would have created an interesting dynamic with Work and and they could have slid an LGBT character into Trek by the backdoor.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree- Worf/Jadzia was much better/made more sense but Worf/Troi dating worked fine at the time. Certainly worked better than Chakotay/Seven.

Riker/Troi falling back in love never worked for me though, since they spent so much time establishing they were past that.

TX-20, Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

At the very least, they had several seasons of close interaction and deep friendship before trying romance, so it didn't seem forced or at least not as forced/sudden and Chakotay/Seven.

As for Riker/Troi... What can I say? Imzadi was one of my first 'ships and it still ranks high up there with me today.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's too bad Riker used to pick her up and put her down like she was a sex toy. Second Chances is especially annoying, for many reasons, including this one.

I've grown to hate Riker. Over the past couple years I've watched all the shows except TNG (my favorite), because I've seen all the episodes multiple times (some probably 10+ times) and there's just not much for me to gain from going through it again, but the more I look back on it, the more I realize what a smug, arrogant jerk Riker was. I was never high on him to begin with, and never knew why until I got older and was able to see through his alleged "charm" and see his behavior and personality for how crappy it really is.

Agreed, I never thought it should have been taken even semi-seriously. The reason why it works as shock value in Parallels is indeed because it is so unexpected; Worf himself is freaked out by it. It's not like he totally goes for it (Jackpot!? Nope). The way it ends, with Worf offering to tell Troi about it, was very intriguing, but of course since it's TNG, it couldn't go anywhere. Just like Crusher/Picard after Attached.

But, really, how would Worf/Troi work? She's entirely about emotions, and he's definitely not. No, he doesn't secretly want to be vulnerable and talk about his feelings, he'd much rather crush skulls. Sure, you could play the warrior/poet, beauty/beast, opposites attract angle, but it doesn't come close to working here. It doesn't even make sense for them to be interested in each other. I just don't see anything there.

I've heard the whole thing came about because Dorn and Sirtis were best pals on set.

And of course Chakotay and Seven was incredibly awkward, unjustified and thrown in at the last second. I find it to be an embarrassment more than anything.