main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    TPAM, I have a hunch that you would thoroughly enjoy the "Humans Are Weird" posts that are all over Pinterest.

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh...yeah. So what if the Federation had whipped out the super-soldiers and the phase shields and all that other (*ahem* implausible) technology and stuff...could they have beaten the Borg with it?

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They might win some battles but the real danger would be allowing the Borg to assimilate that tech.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, the thing about the Borg is, you come up with a super-duper new way to fight them, knock out 2 or 3, then they've adapted and you're right back to square one. It's like trying to hold back a flood with your hands; you can make some waves and splashes, but in the end you'll drown.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, at best you try to pool or focus your resources on making a big splash. The warship classes took swarm attack tactics and applied it with narrow-profile, compact, armored & heavily armed craft designed to work in unison with one another. That provides you the versatility to swap out weapon upgrades and such without having to change the delivery system.

So when the Borg adapt you don't have to build a new fleet. Ok, you probably lost a lot of ships last time so you probably still need to build a new fleet but you don't need to design ships from scratch.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    this might be of interest for some folks here http://rachelwatchesstartrek.com/

7. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I watched a couple of episodes of STD and while I don't think it's quite as bad as some critics have been arguing (especially the trollish sexist nerds) I cannot be bothered to watch any more. I guess if it was on real TV I might not flip the channel if it happened to be on, but there's no way I'm paying for this (or otherwise seeking it out).

I'd probably think it was good if it wasn't labelled as a Trek show. I like dystopian scifi, but that's not what I watch Star Trek for.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Did there end up being a science lab on the Defiant eventually? Or whenever they had to drop science-y exposition it happened in medical?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Usually any tech talk happened on the bridge or in engineering.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Should I check out The Orville? I hate that Family Guy guy, that's the main thing holding me back.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It starts off as a bit too much of an homage to 90’s Trek but quickly develops into some legitimately good sci-fi episodes, of occasionally familiar.

It does leverage the contemporary workplace humor of Seth, but it generally doesn’t overdo it and is much less overt than Family Guy. Most of the characters are pretty likable.

V-2, Jedi Merkurian and Gamiel like this.
  12. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Are there actual jokes set up and paid off, or is it just a stream of references?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's usually at least one big joke with setup, but it's not a stream of references, either (there's a couple here and there but, again, it's not Family Guy's recontextualized references nor Big Bang Theory's "referencing something is a 'joke' in of itself" approach).

In other words, it's humor is less of a FG cutaway gag and more of the more-relateable FG workplace "yeah, that happens"/"that's what my friend would say" observational type humor.

But, mind you, the show isn't a full-on comedy, either, so these elements are generally not omnipresent, shy the occasional wacky episode amongst the dramatic ones.

The first episode or two (especially the pilot) has a poorer balance with the humor, perhaps, but it finds its footing quickly.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ahem.

Quentin Tarantino just pitched a Star Trek movie to JJ Abrams. And they're going to get writers on it. AND he might direct!

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-jj-abrams-1202220032/

Not an imaginary story. Not fake news. Well, okay it's just pitching but holy heck!

Tarantino did talk about Star Trek on Nerdist podcast and once named Abrams 2009 Trek as one of his favourite movies that year and, I do believe, when Tarantino did do a rewrite on Crimson Tide, he added all the Star Trek stuff. And freakin' Kill Bill opens with an Old Klingon Proverb. He's a fan, I definitely do believe that.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm not a fan of Tarantino or nutrek. I'd rather they did something more in the vein of classic Trek.

16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Please God no.

Sarge likes this.
  17. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh hell yes.

It couldn't be any worse than STD or rebooTrek, it could just sit as a novelty, and I'd love to hear what jarring musical choices he'd use in a Star Trek film.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

God doesn't need a Tarantino Trek.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Tarantino is a bona-fide Star Trek fan, I highly doubt he'd go all Kill Bill Vol 1 on it. Although I wouldn't be opposed to the notion cuz I've always maintained that Star Trek pretty much swaps genres and styles almost every decade or so. But I think he would definitely work within the styles and not break it, at least push it. He has a style but he often swaps genres around anyway. Which is what Star Trek does.

Frankly, I'd bet since they kicked his idea to a writer's room, that at the most he'll end up getting a story by credit and maybe someone else directs it. But I am totally okay if he goes full bore.

Darth Caliban and V-2 like this.
  20. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    It would be really interesting if that happens!

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, interesting development. He’s done a bunch of crime films, a war movie, a couple of westerns and he’s sort of done comic books. I’d prefer to see him do an original science fiction film, but a Tarentino Star Trek film could be interesting, even if all he does is write the script.

22. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Everything with the Star Trek name on it has been garbage since 2009 so I'd be willing to see one of my favorite directors take a crack at it. As far as I'm concerned, the license has already hit rock-bottom.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Tarantino talks about sci-fi all the time but hasn't made one, and says he wants to, so you figure he's due. Although I figured he'd do something John Carpenter-esque "They Live!"

As for the whole "I'm retiring after my 10th movie" I never really bought it. I doubt he'll direct this one either, frankly, but they're definitely making a script off of one of his ideas, which is kinda mindbending just in of itself.

24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    On December 6, 1979, this premiered in Washington, D.C.:

25. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Tarantino Trek makes baby Jesus cry