main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But Buddy Jesue is okey with it.
    [​IMG]

2. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
  3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    probably the only way i'd watch another trek movie in this current continuity.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    DaddlerTheDalek and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't trust Tarantino to make a good Trek movie, but I am not sure if he'll make a bad one either. Much better than Abrams and his crack writing team being brought back.

Also I'm 50/50 on whether this will actually go into production. Seems perfect for a rage quit.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, the one thing I will say surprises me about all this is that I am surprised that Tarantino would even consider a corporate franchise film. It doesn’t seem to be his style. All of his movies have been his take on particular genres. Kill Bill, for example, was a comic book film, but it was HIS take on comic book movies, whereas large budget franchise films, like Star Trek, Star Wars or Avengers tend to have fairly strict storytelling rules and cultural baggage.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As much as I'd be interested in what Tarentino could do with Star Trek, Paramount reportedly giving in to an R-rating for that franchise is basically 100% confirmation they absolutely don't understand Star Trek...

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Depends on what the story is. It could be argued that the only reason why they are even considering R Trek, is because of Deadpool and Logan, which proved the viability of R-rated franchise films.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    R rating doesn't mean anything. A gay kiss can get an R rating. Obviously I don't think Trek should be hyperviolent or anything, but reaching the more "mature" tier of the MPAA's arbitrary system in and of itself is okay with me.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

But that's explicitly not what Star Trek is, which is accessible family fare.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    We should ask ourselves what Gene Roddenberry would've wanted.

So I'm thinking hard R, naked women in every scene for no good reason.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Also no one argues with each other.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    While I could kind of picture Tarantino coming up with an idea for a Star Trek movie, simply because the dude's a freakin' movie and story idea machine and he talks a lot of Trek so that is something I could conceive. I'm surprised he would put R-rating as a dealbreaker and Paramount would go along with it. Abrams would totally go along with it cuz he actually seems to like crazy ideas but the studio with the cash is new. But, as said, Deadpool and Logan did show that R-rated blockbuster fare could make a lot of bank.

Don't know how a Star Trek would get r-rated, though. In depth Klingons going crazy? A Borg drone becomes self-aware and then it becomes a Tarantino revenge movie? Wait, that I could totally see and be okay. 4 of 8 just woke up and he's gonna KILL THE QUEEN! or something.

Either way, I'm fine if it happens. I love Tarantino and Star Trek so gimmie.

14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    How about the Hirogen or the Vidians?

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That would be a weird callback but if they actually went into those types of hunter or mutilation aliens species (which is a thing on Star Trek), whole lot of dismemberment could be happening. thing is we just got the brutal outsider with Krall. (which I thought worked really well, even though they rushed over his nifty backstory it gave him some depth). And he killed the Enterprise so he was immediately hateable.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And now Stewart is saying that he’s be willing to return as Picard if Tarintino was directing.

R-Rated Picard? I’d pay money to see that.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Imagine the words he would say to Q. :p

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Seconded. R-rated TNG? Take money.

DaddlerTheDalek and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd think there'd have to be an outside forces reason for an R-rating, though, if only it'd be tonally jarring if the halls of the Enterprise were suddenly blood splattered and everyone is dropping MF bombs. Here's a thought, each Kevlin timeline movie has been a sorta broad strokes remake of each TOS movie Star Trek had the crew coming together to fight a threat approaching Earth, Into Darkness was Khan, Beyond had the unknown brutal outsider leading to the destruction of the Enterprise as the crew is split up into teams and then come together. Would the 4th Kelvin movie be a time-travelling, quippy adventure to modern Earth? The crew ends up in basically Tarantino L.A. Pulp Fiction 90s! And Chris Hemsworth as Kirk's dad is there for some reason!

Or just, y'know, Mirror-verse. Really only scratched the surface on that one. Could get bloodier if you go deeper.

PCCViking likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

We got a taste of that possibility in First Contact.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Sort of, but not really. Picard blowing away the two drones on the holodeck was out of character, but IMHO, some of Sisko’s actions, like poisoning an entire ecosystem and assassinating a Romulan senator are a lot more R-rated than most of the things that Picard has done.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah but it was kind of weird when he just up and shouted "Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother****ing Borg on my mother****ing Enterprise!" apropos of nothing.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I didn't think it was really weird or out of character given his behavior in Reunion where he seemingly started to come to grips with his violation at the hands of the Borg, and his initial coldness towards Hugh and wanting to push forward with the virus aimed at wiping out the Borg (even when other crewmembers started having doubts) in I, Borg.

DaddlerTheDalek, BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Or Wesley.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Shut the **** up, Wesley!

:p