main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This time the whales have to travel back in time to bring extinct humans into the future to communicate with an automated human probe threatening the Earth.

[​IMG]

"MmmWhooooooooo... Therrrrre beeeee huuuumannnns heeeeere!"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    So, I watched Data's Day last night, and I have a theory about the Romulan posing as the Vulcan. Later on, we see Romulans brainwashing Geordi into attempting to assassinate the Klingon governor, and also a shipment of weapons that look like Federation phaser rifles. Could the "Ambassador" have been collecting that information before her return as part of the later plot? (different Romulan commanders involved: an admiral vs Commander Sela, but still...)

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Let That Be Your Last Battlefield is pretty great, hey Frank Gorshin just being snarky is solid. While yet again the Enterprise is catapulted into an unknown region of space there's a really cool self destruct game of chicken scene. and I do like how it ends in just mass chaos and the two aliens stuck in an eternal battle and the Enterprise just basically shrugs and leaves them to it.

A few days later I flip on Space channel and even though I'm dead tired and more than a little drunk freakin' Best of Both Worlds was on, the end of Part I and then right into Part II so I kinda really had to watch all of it. Y'know one of the (many) awesome things about BoBW, at the reveal of Locutus Picard you hear the TNG theme but it's all minor-note and twisted, it's so great (2:30 in this clip)

Then, a few days later, I went with a mostly random DS9 ep spin and landed in Duet which I haven't seen in .... well either when it aired in the 90s or maybe a wee bit less but alls I remember is that it's basically the often noted sole DS9 S1 standout. And it is pretty consistently solid (Odo snooping is always good and there's a great back and forth scene with him and Dukat), although I can't never tell if the reveal that the Cardassian isn't the mass killer and just a file clerk impersonating the mass killer is a cheat or inventive. But I guess the point is the mass killings is what drove the file clerk crazy and he's trying to suicide by Bajorian justice. Which is what he gets. Still, great performances and even though Kira's turn to feel bad for the guy at the end is a wee bit random ("Why? He wasn't Dar'heel! Why?" "He's a Cardassian! That's reason enough!" "No!... It's not.") yknow what? I buy it. She was probably just sick of dredging up these old killings as much as anyone.

Anyway, found this post on FB, genius

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    BOBW I is the best cliffhanger ever.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Absolutely agreed. The fact that the television medium is still trying to do cliffhangers is cute and all but everyone just has to give up cuz it's basically just the end of Best of Both Worlds is the greatest cliffhanger ever.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    And BOBW II has the worst opening cop out ever.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Glad I found this thread. On Netflix Japan you get all ST TV episodes. Got up to Plato’s Children and couldn’t bare to watch. I haven’t seen OST since. I need to get past this hurdle to finish and then off to NG. BOBW turned me into a NG fan.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And the TV movie version of BOBW is even worse because it loses the powerful cliffhanger music.

You're already through a lot of TOS's worst stuff and still have a couple decent-to-good episodes to look forward to. Almost there.

Of course, TNG Season 1 isn't exactly smooth sailing either (though there are some decent episodes in there as well).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I actually watched the episodes as they aired; so imagine hearing "Mr. Worf...fire," and then having to wait months to see what happened!

EDIT: I remember being late to work the night BOBW II premiered. The excuse I gave was literally "Dude...the Borg!" I worked at Kinko's, so that was a perfectly valid reason to be late; that was how they rolled :p

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  10. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I’m amazed just how good TOS is in Season 1 and Season 2. And Shatner is a the cheesy scene chewer I had remembered him not be. But Roddenberry pretty much dropped out of Season 3 because of the Kiss of Death timeslot and reduced budget and the scripts overall dropped in quality.

You’re right about NG Season 1. I was disappointed. And I missed most of the truncated Season 2, despite being happy Tasha Yar was out and liking the new doctor (2x TOS veteran) much better. Missed the Crystalline Entity and the Borg.

I watched the last BOBW 1 and was hooked, watching the S3 episodes during the summer. Begrudgingly, I had to admit NG was at least as good as TOS.

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  11. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    *Shatner isn’t...

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    S2 was bumpy because of the writer's strike of that year but even though TNG didn't hit it's stride until a couple episodes into S3, S2 still has some really good episodes- some among my favorites.

"Elementary, Dear Data" (still my definitive Moriarty), "A Matter of Honor" (the first good Klingon episode), "The Measure of a Man" (overrated, iMO, but I can see why people rave about the subject matter. I might get caught up too much on the forced trappings necessary to force certain characters into certain roles here, I think), "Q Who" (first Borg episode), "The Emissary" (Worf & K'Ehleyr) and "Peak Performance" (which I feel is kind of a middle-step in the Borg arc, even though they're not actually in the episode) are all pretty solid episodes and far, far above even the best episodes of S1. "Contagion" & "Pen Pals" also aren't terrible, either.

On the flipside, S2 does have a lot of low moments too- but then, pretty much all early season Treks do. S2 didn't kill and replace Picard like S1 did, though, so there's that. ;)

13. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Love that Photo. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Just found this:

Loved the first season. I hope this season they have less twists, though.

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Awesomeness.

I keep checking Amazon for the Season One dvds; for drokk's sake, why is it taking so long for them to be released?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We were discussing the trailer over in the Discovery thread last night- but looks promising.

I suspect you won't see DVDs or BDs for awhile- they want to build this exclusive content up as an incentive to subscribe to CBSAA. So they'll probably wait a few seasons at least before releasing the first.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man I'd be really torn up about that if we were talking about literally any other Star Trek.

... Actually, no; also Enterprise.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    If that is the case, I might see if Virgin - my provider - has heard of this CBS All Access, and join it long enough to watch the series.

Between them and a Sky package to watch my F1, I'm paying more than enough already.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    CBS All Access is U.S.-only and isn't a cable channel besides. Lucky for you Discovery is on Netflix.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    However, you can, for an extra fee, subscribe to CBSAA as a channel within Amazon Prime. It's a little cheaper than a stand-alone subscription, I think, but you can then access it on more devices (such as TiVo) since they're more likely to have an Amazon video app on them than a standalone CBSAA app.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Also Amazon's video player isn't total ass.

CT-867-5309 and The2ndQuest like this.
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Is All Access available as an add-on in the UK? Anyway Netflix is by far the better option for a Brit.

Discovery's season 2 trailer looks like full-on Abramsverse Trek down to placing far too much emphasis on the in-universe importance of TOS characters before they ever actually do anything (SPOCK IS THE KEY TO ALL OF THIS). I'll probably go the subscribe-for-one-month-at-the-end-of-the-season route like I should have done last time.

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah, could be Netflix for me.

My take on the trailer, and by going on the more consistent critiques among Youtube commenters for the first season:

It looks like it hopes to appease the community that feels unrepresented without a straight white male on the Bridge.

The bright yellow tunic, is probably for the really vehement uniform-style critics; inch us towards the colour-coded TOS fashion.

Lastly, a sop to the finally, a skirt brigade, regarding what I assume is a security officer, that beamed aboard with Captain Pike. Although she could be Engineering, or a yeoman.

I found the "math" hand clap a bit cringeworthy; probably better when we see the moment in context.

Nice to see the helmswomen getting a bit more characterisation.

Since Saru took charge to take the ship away from Starbase One, I have comfortable with him in the Chair; initially a shame to have it taken over by Pike, though he grows on you over the course of the trailer.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Michael Chabon wrote one of the Short Trek's and it sounds very twlight-zone-y (which is totally a thing on Trek!) and the only one that doesn't seem to prominently feature the Discovery castmembers.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/07/23/au...ils-on-his-star-trek-discovery-short-calypso/

Aside from that one, I'm still looking forward to the Saru-centric Short Trek and apparently we're going to see Saru's home planet this season which could be a blast. I imagine a council of his people just hiding behind their desks. Saru I imagine is probably a wayward badass compared to everyone else.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018