main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    This is a good site for a quick glance at all the ships. Plus it has ships from the movies that shall not be named on this forum.

http://www.merzo.net/

Nerdgasm!

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Troi would start crying when someone stubbed his toe in the next room and that'd be really awkward.

3. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yar? No way. Her Romulan version maybe.

4. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
  5. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    [image=http://vampjac.com/lj/pulchritude/2008/Trek_TOS/TOS_Sherry_Jackson.jpg]

/conversation

6. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    You were saying?

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    That's just an Excelsior that went into warp a bit wrong... [face_worried]

8. DarthNotsonice

DarthNotsonice Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2005
    She was actually going to Be Ro Laren on DS9 instead of Kira Nerys,
    but Michelle didn't want to be too tied any one genre.
    Besides she did an episode of Seinfeld and went on to act
    in Homicide:Life on the Streets,the genesis of Detective Munch.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Gotta say Troi. Curvier, plus with that "empath power" she'd always know what I wanted.

From the OP: You think Riker boinks everything that moves now? Wait 'till you come across the episode where he hooks up with a member of a species that doesn't even have genders! :eek: [face_sick]

10. DarthNotsonice

Apr 6, 2005
    Oh yes the G'nai,that episode was ...unsettling.:eek:

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    17. At the beginning of the series Geordi was not the Chief Engineer. Some random guy who barely ever appeared was. Whose brilliant idea was that? And what the hell was Worf's job before Tasha died? He mostly stood around looking angry.

12. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    From Memory-Alpha Worf spent most of his first year on the Enterprise-D as a relief officer for the conn and other bridge stations. :p

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, I know. Hence "rhetorical questions." Seems like a stupid job for a main character. :p

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Who was the best at Poker?

15. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/1030/ishara.jpg]

Tasha Yar's sister was hot (and had some very '80s hair, apparently).

16. DarthNotsonice

Apr 6, 2005
    That random guy was Chief Engineer Biff Yeager,the actor that portrayed him went on to play the Homeless former Gym teacher
    who gave George Costanza the Atomic Wedgie. :oops:

17. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Those first season skin tight uniforms still make me cringe.

18. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    she's good with a dustbuster, too

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  20. JediOverlord

Apr 28, 2000
    That's the best one I find doing GIS. I was hoping to find one of her wearing this camisole-like undershirt she wore when she was in Sickbay in that episode, but no such luck, which I'm sure everybody here is glad for.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That is a horribly '80s hairstyle.

19. A very young Kirstin Dunst in is the season 7 episode "Dark Page."

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    20. Ensign Ro is better than any of the regular female cast. Michelle Forbes should've taken that gig on DS9; for some reason Kira Nerys always gets on my nerves. Anyone who can stand up to Picard and Riker and get away with it is awesome.

21. Whenever Riker's hair is not combed perfectly he has a short temper and something has gone terribly wrong.

22. "Night Terrors" is the ****ing creepiest TNG episode. The crew's hallucinations and Troi's dream must've made an impression on me as a kid, because I remember watching it and getting creeped out.

23. JediOverlord

Apr 28, 2000
    That "camisole-like undershirt" I was talking about with Tasha Yar's sister? I think it's this shirt she's wearing in this photo:

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/6/6b/Hayne_and_Ishara.jpg/180px-Hayne_and_Ishara.jpg]

She just wasn't wearing the jacket when she was being looked over in Sickbay.

24. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    So if two Q's fight, like, how does that work? I mean I know they fight and all, but aren't they part of a collective being too? I never got that. And how do two cosmic entities fight anyway? Chess?

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    IIRC, there was a Q war during Voyager and stars detonated and such. Despite what they (and Trek) claim, they aren't omnipotent. Q himself demonstrates this when he loses his powers... how could one take away an omnipotent being's omnipotence? And is that called impotence?

23. The "Yesterday's Enterprise" version of Tasha Yar and her half-Romulan daughter. I can't quite wrap my head around it. According to TNG, the universe from which that Yar originated ceased to exist when the Enterprise-C went back through the time distortion. So shouldn't that Tasha Yar have ceased to exist? I'm sure it would be explained by some technobabble about how the temporal rift protected her from the changes. Also, they didn't entirely "restore" the timeline, as Tasha going back (and surviving the battle) could have changed things drastically for all we know.

24. Another time travel episode, "Time's Arrow"-- the season 5 finale and season 6 premiere. The predestination paradox presented by the discovery of Data's head and Guinan's assertion that Picard needed to meet her in 1893. Yeesh, boggles the mind.

25. The guy who plays Mark Twain in "Time's Arrow" has always been how I see the man and imagine his voice, even if it's totally inaccurate (I don't think it is, but I'm speaking hypothetically).

26. Despite my apparent criticism, I love "Time's Arrow" and "Yesterday's Enterprise" especially. It's just entertaining to be a nerd and think about the plot details.

27. The Q in "Tapestry" is very different than any of Q's other appearances, nor does he ever mention saving Picard's ass and giving him a life lesson. Normally he'd brag about it. I'm sure this was intended by the writer (Ronald D. Moore :D) to make it ambiguous-- was it actually Q or did Picard hallucinate the whole thing while he was dying? Clearly we're supposed to think it's indeed Q, but it doesn't seem consistent. Yes, Q does help Picard in other episodes; however, he seems almost genuine and sympathetic in "Tapestry," and Picard mentioned at the end of the episode that he was baffled by this behavior. My favorite Q episode by far, though. Partly because I dislike what an insufferable ass Q is... I like when Guinan stabs him with a fork in "Deja Q."

28. If someone watches the Borg episodes and First Contact in order, it becomes very clear that their nature changed considerably over the course of the series (and I'm not referring to the intentionally obvious changes in makeup and the addition of the Queen). In "The Neutral Zone," the Borg "scooped up" an entire Federation colony out of the ground-- which the Federation thought was the work of the Romulans. This isn't consistent with their pattern of assimilation; they would have invaded and assimilated the colony rather than picking it up and moving on. "Q Who?" makes it clear that the Borg weren't intended to assimilate other beings. They only expressed interest in the Enterprise rather than any of the crew, even cutting a section out at the expense of a dozen lives. The episode also makes a point to show drones being grown from the embryonic stage. "Best of Both Worlds" heavily implies that Picard is an exception-- the Borg assimilated him only because they needed him to defeat the Federation and reach Earth. Only in First Contact do we see them making reference to or attempting mass assimilation ("I, Borg" references this, so I guess that would be the start of the change). I like the First Contact version and I like all the Borg eps, don't get me wrong, but the inconsistencies are enough to make me go "Huh?"

29. Rarely does an episode not begin with a shot of the ship moving past the camera, so it's quite noticeable when it doesn't.