main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This reminds me that I need to watch DS9.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yes you need Captain Sisko Badass in your life,

5. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    So badass in fact, that he doesn't care if you're an omnipotent being or not, he'll still ***k you up!!!
    [​IMG]

Sarge, Mr. K, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes he will, because he's not Picard. :D

7. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "You hit me! Picard never hit me!"

Juliet316 and dp4m like this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I never liked that ep. It was one of the dumb ones of the early seasons.

Plus, Sisko acted in self-defense (well, as much as he can defend himself against a near-omnipotent being). Picard absolutely would have hit Q if Q had taken a swing at him.

10. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Oh stop it, Q, you're crazy!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

That episode, as with any of the weaker Q episodes, is almost single-handedly saved by John DeLance's herculean efforts to drag the damn thing across the finish line. Almost. But, hey, more Q!

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Which episode of TNG was that?

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That was "Deep Space Nine" where that happened. Unless you refer to the ones with Picard and Q.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The pics are Tapestry, Q-Who & drawing a blank on the last. Tapestry again? Or the one where Q finds a young female Q hanging out on the Enterprise?

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    "True Q" (the one with the female Q) or "All Good Things..." I really don't remember either.

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    All wrong lol

QPid

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    hal, you are not a merry man...

The2ndQuest , Juliet316 and halibut like this.
  18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Darth_Invidious and Darth Guy like this.
  21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Proposition: "The Doomsday Machine" is the greatest single sci fi television episode of all time.

Debate.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Darth_Invidious, Darth Guy and dp4m like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Have you read Vendetta?

Sarge likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, there goes any hope of it being a departure from the first two. If anything, it's going to be worse.

Sarge likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    :-BSo, had an interesting pseudo-theory- could the AU's of the JJverse, Yesterday's Enterprise and All Good Things be linked?

Acknowledging that the primary factors in their individual creations were presented as Nero, the absence of the Enterprise-C and Q/anti-time anomaly, there seems to be a potential commonality and through-thread that might allow them to be grouped as such.

I also preface this as it's more for the purpose of mental grouping/conceptualization (of a more militant Starfleet timeline) than a solidly observational theory to be applied to the canon that I'm outright advocating be the case. Still, my thoughts:

-The JJverse appears to be building towards a conflict with the Klingons. This could all change with whatever they ultimately decide to do with Star Trek 13, but it fits as a starting point so far: The Narada wiped out a Klingon fleet. Khan's (a "human") actions resulted in a minor Starfleet incursion into their territories/their world that killed several Klingons and a couple ships. A starfleet Admiral intentionally tried to instigate open conflict with them (whether they know it or not) in a manner that openly states they're already on the brink of open conflict, shy an instigating event.

-So, we have a Klingon Empire that is more agitated militarily much earlier in the timeline (8 years earlier than the Organian crisis in TOS) and potentially has hostility towards the Romulans if they associate Nero's attack with them (potentially killing off whatever short-lived alliance they had in TOS where they shared D-7 cruisers and cloaking technology and making them blood enemies much earlier in the timeline).

-Flash forward to Yesterday' Enterprise. An era with the Federation and Klingons at war with each other- the lack of an Enterprise-C intervention certainly caused this timeline, but having increased Klingon/Federation troubles earlier, one can really see how such a huge war could emerge.

-With a different purpose of mission, likely no Farpoint or Q encounter happened here- thus no later Q Who and no early introduction to the Borg, so they won't interrupt things. Presumably no DS9/warmhole/Dominion issue later on either (or, if so, delayed to beyond the scope of this theory's chronology).

-The Enterprise-C incident occurs, but does not end the timeline. Tasha still goes though (so she's still gone in the future timeline and Sela still happens in the Prime reality).

-Though YE suggests the Federation was 6 months away from surrender, they still have plot armor and the Federation Corps of Engineers, so they manage to hold their own or repel the Klingons to a cease fire (or maybe the Organians finally intervene again, doesn't matter).

-Even as they begin to return to more scientific/exploration endeavors, Starfleet still builds up their tech militarily following the losses from the war (much like how the prime reality did so after the Borg/Wolf 359 slaughter with the Defiant, Sovereign, Akira, Prometheus and other warship-leaning craft). This includes, ultimately, upgrading existing ships (as the Federation was scrapping together even older ships during the war they were so desperate, it takes awhile for them to rebuild their numbers so they need to make due with what they have) and gives us the Galaxy-X Enterprise-D seen in All Good Things.

-In the All Good Things reality, the Klingons have taken over the Romulan Star Empire. I don't believe they said when this occurred, but it could have been a contributing factor to the hypothetical reason why the Federation didn't lose the war- and certainly if the bad blood with the Romulans has been going back almost a decade further than it would have been otherwise, this aggressive action seems more likely (though the loss of Romulus would obviously be a major factor too, depending on the timing).

-Additionally, the Federation and Klingons are still hostile to one another, even if they aren't in open war anymore.

-Then Picard's actions collapse this anti-time reality containing the JJverse, YE & AGT back down into the Prime reality, giving us a happy ending! :D

The only potential flaws are details I don't recall off the top of my head- any mentions of Vulcan (though they could be written off as New Vulcan), any AGT references to events from non-YE TNG that couldn't have occurred in the YE timeline either due to the natire of events or what characters are and are not present, etc.

Dark Lady Mara and BigAl6ft6 like this.