main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Didn't he also go plums deep in seven of nine?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013

[​IMG]

Mr. K and Darth_Invidious like this.
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

worst

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I am so deeply disappointed by this news that I barely have words for it. It's like the universe is out to have Abrams and Orci systematically destroy everything I enjoy. Because for its 50th anniversary, what Star Trek needs is a guy who tells fans to **** OFF for criticizing his films, who tweets his conspiracy BS the day of the Boston bombings, who thinks Kirk is just like George W. Bush, who writes off Chapel as a completely forgettable fling of Kirk's, who sees Spock as Obama and then says, "Wonderful thing about Obama is that he is living proof that no matter the color of your skin, or where you were born, anyone can grow up to be a puppet of the militaryindustrialpharmaceutical complex."

CAN'T ****IN' WAIT

*gotta star out the whole word

BigAl6ft6, Sarge and Darth_Invidious like this.
  5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    First Contact says that the Borg are already well-established in the Delta Quadrant in 2063. So I doubt that V'Ger has anything to do with their creation

6. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    The only reference I'm aware of connecting V'Ger to the Borg is that ST:LEGACY game that came out years ago. I'd take this explanation with a grain of salt at best...

As far as thing Orci thing goes, IMO it's pretty clear that Paramount is betting on brand appeal alone and is making their decisions based on how the dish looks on the menu rather than those who are in the kitchen preparing it.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    One of Shatner's books made the connection, but more that V'ger ran into the Borg and they discovered a kindred spirit and sent it home with the technology that surrounded it.

Of course, explicitly non-canon.

8. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I just looked up the 'writing team' (Patrick McKay & John D Payne) for Orci's ST3, and they have no other writing credits. Not a damn thing. First time screenwriters and a hack writer/first-time director that is hostile to the fanbase. Somehow I don't sense a miraculous discovery of talent here, ala Nicholas Meyer. JJ's pulled his production team (cinematographer, editor, et al) to work on Ep. 7- so besides the cast, who the hell is on this that knows what they're doing?!

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, at least he got that part right.

And lol I didn't know Orci didn't have directing experience. wtf. Why not just pull a random person out of film school? I'm sure at least 1/3rd of them could put out a better screenplay if nothing else.

10. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I wonder if he's going to be either a total prima donna, control freak, jerk director trying to wear daddy's shoes; or is going to be so wound-up with the stress that his best direction is 'faster...more intense' and the real work is done by DP, AD's, & 2nd unit director.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nicholas Meyer was a longtime Paramount loyalist who did many a work-for-hire for the studio, starting with The Love Story Story, and moving on from there primarily utilizing his writing skills, IIRC.

Paramount knew what they had in him and had been with the studio for about 12 years by that point.

Not saying they do or don't know what they have with Bob Orci, but the studio system was a vastly different thing back then and homegrown talent was way more common. I'm hugely pessimistic about this, but I don't think this particular comparison is fair, just based on the way things are run then vs. now.

12. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

It's too bad he was saying that to insinuate that BS conspiracy "birther" theory that Obama was born outside the US. He said basically the same thing in 2011 but clarified that he meant:

"Seems to me Obama is considered lefty. I insulted him in my post. Even questioning where he was born. So your post is not even internally consistent."
    Now, criticizing Obama or his policies is fine but that birther stuff really rubs me the wrong way. I should hope for obvious reasons. I'm really disappointed that this man is directing Trek. He doesn't seem to understand what it's about in the slightest.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, the connection originated with a comment Roddenberry made in an interview once after the Borg were introduced on TNG- suggesting the world of machines Spock saw was the Borg homeworld.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's probably why it got brought up in "The Return" which featured the Borg and the connection to V'Ger.

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Trek into Alex Jones's ***.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

That was cool. Did that come from Paramount? How come they don't do more stuff like that?

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's from a video game. It's not canon, for one. For another, it's stupid. I thought that V'Ger merging with that dude was the origin of the Borg, but I was 8 years old at the time. There doesn't need to be a connection.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There doesn't need to be, but it's a fascinating one if there were- not to mention giving more weight to the generally disposable TMP.

Also, it's almost assumed at this point anyways, even if there isn't a single canon rendition of it. Between Roddenberry, the Shatner novel, the Legacy video game, the Nero miniseries, etc.

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Assumed by whom? And there's at least one other wildly different Borg origin out there in the novels.

I prefer the Borg Queen's "we used to be 100% biological humanoids like any planet of the week and we got a little obsessed with technology" explanation. It's simple and obvious and doesn't beg for elaboration. I don't see why an infant looking for its "parents" should be the creator of the zombie hordes of the anti-Federation on the other side of the galaxy centuries before it was even launched.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Assumed in that it's been prevalent enough of a theory to appear in some form anytime V'Ger is invoked.

I suppose some of the interest comes in the form of humanity (or, even, Kirk) inadvertently creating such a galactic threat, as well as tying the Borg to a benign origin, the coolness of the Borg elevating V'Ger's status.

The distance and such ties well in with Spock's 2001-like journey and vision, the timing is flexible (because, well, Trek)- as that Legacy video has Voyager going through time and space before reaching the machine world.

21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Re: ST 2.0: 3, Why not Orci? This current incarnation of Star Trek is what it is. Trying to graft big ideas onto it at this point would be like wearing brown shoes with a black tuxedo.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because a 9/11 truther and horrible conspiracy theorist who uses his movies as a platform for his views and claims to be a huge Trekkie despite apparently not understanding the "big ideas" of Trek seem to me to be a colossally poor idea on its face.

Can I be wrong? Sure, I frequently am.

But that's my take. He was responsible for literally everything wrong with Into Darkness except Khan (I believe him when he said he and Lindelof didn't want Khan) -- but magic blood, Alice Eve, rehashing a classic story without emotion or context... that's all him.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Orci's views or his talents as a writer, but I think it's probably too late to shift gears at this point, and not many directors (unless they're just hired guns) like to come into an already established franchise--or, in this case, incarnation. So why not dance with the one that brung ya? The first two films made a ton of money, made ST pop-culturally relevant again, and appealed to a lot of people who weren't normally ST fans. From Paramount's perspective, it makes a lot of sense to stick with the formula.

I sort of doubt this particular incarnation will go more than another film or two. I say finish it out, and then by God get to work on a new ST TV series.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because he also has literally no directing experience -- not even a school play, let alone a commercial -- on his resume. Also, the new writers have no experience writing anything in Hollywood (this is both of their first credit).

As I believe Devin Faraci said: this is equivilent of giving a flight attendant the keys to a 747 and having them drive it because they've been around the cockpit so much.

25. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I think what it comes down to is, directors weren't exactly lining up for this gig. He also got JJ's blessing. It's a huge gig for any director, let alone a first timer. I'm really curious to see how this all turns out.