main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph NERV HQ: CENTRAL DOGMA - An Evangelion Fan Thread (now in Netflix!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Malshabek, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    Hummm, I got Rei on that personality quiz - Which is a bit of a surprise, on most of the others I've taken I normally end up with Gendo. 8-}

2. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    The girl who does Rei sounds pretty cute.

Amanda Winn Lee. She's married to fellow EVA dub voice actor Jason C. Lee who plays Aoba in the English dub.

And I only listened to the EoE commentary once because they really got on my nerves. I wished they would've gotten more into what it was about instead of just making dumb jokes through the whole thing. It was clear to me that the people who were in charge of the English dub were completely clueless and unneccesarily changed dialogue and sound effects at there own stupid whim. I usually watch EVA as well as most anime subtitled for this very reason. And as soon as I learn enough Japanese to do without the subtitles, I plan on buying a Region 2 DVD player and just buying the DVDs straight from Japan so I don't have to worry about any more interference.

3. Malshabek

Malshabek Jedi Master star 6

Oct 10, 2002
    Started showing Evangelion to my friend.
    I figured he could probably use some explanation after seeing End of Eva without seeing anything else first. :p

A question about the End of Eva though....

What exactly are we seeing when Shinji and Asuka are on the shoreline there? Is this Shinji's world he chose? Or just a remnant of the old world?
    Was Insturmentality successful?

I have my own opinions on the matter, I'd just thought I see what all of you think.

4. Lord_Fett

Lord_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    That's open to anyone's interpretation. Basically, I guess it's a good happy ending since Asuka finally "accepts" Shinji. It can be all in Shinji's head, it can mean that Shinji's and Asuka are the only humans left on Earth (much like Adam and Eve), it can mean that the Third Impact was sucessful and humans evolved to another form of existance...it's up to you.

A critic of anime said that "Evangelion is for Japan and Animé as Star Wars is for US and Cinema". Best review ever.

Btw what do you think that the First Impact was? I guess it was the deth of the dinassaurs. But I heard it can also be the Universal Flood (Noeh's story from the Bible) or the destruction of Soddoma and Gomorra.

5. Malshabek

Oct 10, 2002
    How did Asuka 'accept' Shinji? :p

"How disgusting." Doesn't sound like acceptance to me. :p

6. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    She said something to Shinji in the beach. Sorry, but the last time I saw EoE was 3 years ago :)

I really need to buy the DVDs!

7. Malshabek

Oct 10, 2002
    Oh well, thats what she said to him.
    You have to turn it up real loud to hear it. :p

Its kinda sad actually. Cause if thats the ending he chose, and they really ARE Adam and Eve, then they are screwed. :p

8. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    Btw what do you think that the First Impact was? I guess it was the deth of the dinassaurs. But I heard it can also be the Universal Flood (Noeh's story from the Bible) or the destruction of Soddoma and Gomorra.

According to GAINAX (sorry I don't have the proof to link you to but the site is in Japanese anyway), 1st Impact was when the asteroid struck the Earth that created the moon. It brought with it the first life-forms (by way of Lillith's seed) that developed into the Angels (who for some reason remained in stasis) and human life. I'm not really sure how this relates to dinosaurs or other species, but this is what I've heard from very knowledgable sources.

It is also the reason why there are so many visual references to the moon (especialy involving Rei, who of course is infused with the soul of Lillth).

9. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    So it means that the Angels were always with us and were awaken by the Second Impact? Sounds good to me!

What are the Angels anyway?

SPOILERS

If humanity is the 18th Angel, then the other Angels are other species that evolved to a higher existance no?

END OF SPOILERS

10. Malshabek

Oct 10, 2002
    I like what you just said DTB, that explains some things I had been wondering about actually...

The first angel, Adam, was the giant of white light briefly glimpsed in certain parts of the series right?
    It looks almost exactly like Unit 01 if Unit 01 was glowing. :p

11. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I've seen the whole series and love it. I still have to see the movies and the directors cut. But overall it's a great series.

Forcebewitya!

12. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    The Eva units were born from Adam and are sort of like controlled clones of Adam. That is why they look similar to Adam in appearance.

The angels are basically forms that humanity could have chosen, but didn't. It isn't that they are a higher form, they are just another form. They, like the humans, are trying to ascend to a higher being. That is why they want to find Adam. Adam and Angel is the Third Impact bad for humanity. Human and Lillith was the good Third Impact. And Angel and Lillith results in the destruction of both, which is why Tabris/Kaworu stopped when he realized it was Lillith.

13. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Neon Genesis is one of the few anime shows I watch and love. It's got a great storyline and solid character with Rei being my favourite.

14. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    So BartSimpson the Third Impact was the "good" or "bad" impact?

IMHO the Angels attack Tokyo-3 because, like Misato and Kaji, they thought that Adam was there. In fact, it was Lilith. That's why Kaworu stops- he wanted to give a chance to humanity. What's funny is that everyone wants the Third Imapct but with different forms: SEELE wants it to evolve humanity, as described in the Dead Sea Scrolls. Gendo wants it to reunite with Yui and the Angels want to destroy humans. Am I right?

Why so much people like Rei? She's a completly ****** up person, even worse than Shinji. My favourite characters are Kaji, I guy that I identify with, and Misato [face_gin] I also like Maya Ibuki a lot.

15. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    I'd say it was the good Third Impact because in the end, humanity survived while the Angels perished. And you are correct, the Angels do attack Tokyo-3 because they believe the strong presence they sense is Adam. It is just that none besides Kaworu actually make it face to face with that presence.

And remember, NERV does have Adam as well...it's just that they have it in Gendo's hand.

Which reminds me. I was wrong in what I said earlier. For the good Third Impact to occur: All 17 messengers from God must be defeated and both Lillith and Adam must merge with eachother(souls included). This new being must choose a human to decide humanity's fate. At least, this is a theory I've read and believe in.

Kaworu's head goes into the LCL pool.
    Gendo merges the Adam embryo with Rei III.
    Rei III merges with Lillith.
    Kaworu was infused with Adam's soul, Rei with Lillith and both are now a part of Lillith.
    Uber Rei/Lillith can take the form of both Kaworu and Rei.

These facts are what lead me to believe the theory about the good Third Impact.

16. Malshabek

Oct 10, 2002
    Wow, I'm glad I created this thread.

Its really nice to get opinions and views on this that I hadn't even thought of before.

Good stuff Bart. :D

17. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    Which reminds me. I was wrong in what I said earlier. For the good Third Impact to occur: All 17 messengers from God must be defeated and both Lillith and Adam must merge with eachother(souls included). This new being must choose a human to decide humanity's fate. At least, this is a theory I've read and believe in.

Yup, it seems to make sense. And the choice of human to decide human's fate is the real operative thing here. It seems that Gendou wanted to be that human himself when he tried to merge Adam and Lillith by making contact with Rei. Rei wasn't going to have none of that and chose Shinji instead.

The thing I wonder is, if SEELE's initial plan of using Kawaru to initiate 3rd Impact had worked, who would be the human soul that decided mankind's fate?

18. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    The thing I wonder is, if SEELE's initial plan of using Kawaru to initiate 3rd Impact had worked, who would be the human soul that decided mankind's fate?

I think SEELE got it all wrong by using an Angel to merge with Lilith. They wanted to initiate the 3rd Impact, but it would be a "bad" impact since mankind, instead of evolving, would be destroyed. Hence the refusal of Kaworu, to give mankind a chance.

What's the soul that's inside EVA-03? EVA-00 has Ritsuko's mother(that's why the EVA tried to kill Rei), EVA-01 has Yui and Eva-02 has Asuka's mother. Probably EVA-03 has Toji's mother. An interesting fact: all of Shinji's classmates are potential EVA pilots.

I'm really getting into Evangelion now (again!) I think I'll right a fanfic Star Wars-cum-Evangelion. Do you guys think I should?

Malshabek(great nick) well done with the thread. I thought that Evangelion wasn't very famous in the US and abroad.

19. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    EVA-00 has Ritsuko's mother

Unit-00 was always a tough nut to crack. The most recent theories I've heard have all pointed to it being one of the Rei clones lifeforce that resides in Unit-00. I haven't quite made up my mind on that one.

An interesting fact: all of Shinji's classmates are potential EVA pilots.

Yes, and all of their mothers are dead being part of contact experiment in which Yui (Shinji's mother) gave her life. That means that somewhere there is an EVA in production for each one of Shinji's classmates. Another interesting fact is that all of those children's fathers work at NERV.

I think I'll right a fanfic Star Wars-cum-Evangelion. Do you guys think I should?

Just be gentle. ;)

I thought that Evangelion wasn't very famous in the US and abroad.

Really, the US is about the only English speaking country that hasn't ran Evangelion on network television. It's also aired in Spanish and French speaking countries around the world and subtitled in more languages than almost any other animated series.

It has a hardcore following from around the globe.

20. Malshabek

Oct 10, 2002
    Unfortuneately, anime in general gets a bad rap in the U.S.
    Show like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh are what 99% of people think of when someone mentions Japanese Anime. [face_plain]

You cant imagine the number of times where I'll be doodling Rei or Unit 01 at work and have somebody say, "Oh, do you watch Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon? My son loves those shows."

My reply to them is always something like: " [face_plain] "

Its sad really...

I had never heard of whom Unit 00 was possessed by, but now that I think of it, Dr. Akagi's soul seems like the most logical canidate.
    Only she would have the murderous intent of killing Rei. :p

21. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    From what I gather, it is Naoko(I believe is the name of Ristuko's mom) that resides in Unit 00. This helps explain the units murderous intent toward Rei and Gendo. As for Unit 03, I'd say it didn't have a soul. I believe it had the angel in it from the beginning. I firmly believe that Touji never once had full control over the unit.

22. Malshabek

Oct 10, 2002
    I agree with you Bart.
    From the moment Unit 03 passed through that storm cloud it was infected by the angel.
    It never had the chance to gain a soul.

On another note...
    Is it my imagination, or is there some special relationship between Ritsuko Akagi and Kaoru in the series?
    Its almost seems implied by the way Ritsuko knew about the existence of Kaoru already before he even came...

I could be wrong of course. :p

23. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    I don't think there is any special relationship. It's just that she had already talked to SEELE and they had probably told her of his iminent arrival. I don't know if she knew for sure he was the 17th angel, but she did have a fairly good idea of what he probably was given the data.

24. Lord_Fett

Feb 14, 2002
    Really, the US is about the only English speaking country that hasn't ran Evangelion on network television. It's also aired in Spanish and French speaking countries around the world and subtitled in more languages than almost any other animated series.

It has a hardcore following from around the globe.

Yes, it also aired in Portugal, when I was about 12- it was how I came into contact with Evangelion. The problem is, it was part of a morning kids show, so the network only showed a few episodes until they decided that it was too violent(and complex) for kids. The last episode that I saw was the EVA-03. Although I was too kid to fully absorb all the philosophical implications, I was engrossed when I saw Lilith for the first time (thinking it was Adam) or when Shinji had a 400% synch ratio. I'll never forget the times when I saw Evangelion.

25. Malshabek

Oct 10, 2002
    Didn't Cartoon Network have a run of Evangelion once? ?[face_plain]

Thats what I heard at least...