main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO NES & SNES Classic Editions

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by TiniTinyTony , Jul 14, 2016.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    [​IMG]

EDIT- Game List:

• Balloon Fight
    • Bubble Bobble
    • Castlevania
    • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
    • Donkey Kong
    • Donkey Kong Jr.
    • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
    • Dr. Mario
    • Excitebike
    • Final Fantasy
    • Galaga
    • Ghosts N' Goblins
    • Gradius
    • Ice Climber
    • Kid Icarus
    • Kirby's Adventure
    • Mario Bros.
    • Mega Man 2
    • Metroid
    • Ninja Gaiden
    • Pac-Man
    • Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
    • StarTropics
    • Super C
    • Super Mario Bros.
    • Super Mario Bros. 2
    • Super Mario Bros. 3
    • Tecmo Bowl
    • The Legend of Zelda
    • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Neat. But I'll just stick with my real NES.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I hope it has HDMI.

Plus side: no blowing!

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's an emulator (and knowing Nintendo probably not a terribly accurate one) that's slightly more expensive than literally buying all the games separately on Virtual Console in what can only be described as a grim parody of Nintendo's approach to selling their back catalog.

OH BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THE KIND OF NES WHERE THE SPRING WOULD BREAK DOWN CAUSING READ ERRORS #Cute or whatever.

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, not particularly useful to me, since all of our Nintendo consoles are still in working order, though we are having some trouble getting our Sega Genesis with the 32x to work.

6. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Wow, this is wicked. Never expected to see this happening. :) I think our NES is still in working order as well, though I suppose my brother has confiscated it somewhere down the line. It's probably still going to be cheaper to just buy someone's old console off eBay. :)

7. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    This seems cool and all, but judging from the line-up of games, I'd probably buy it only for the Super Mario Bros. games, so I dunno.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    lol wut? It has pretty much all the essential classics. The only notable missing one I can think of is the first Contra.

9. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I am pumped about this. I will definitely get it.

Now if they release SNES like this, I hope they PLEASE PLEASE include Super SW, Super ESB, and Super ROTJ to it. That would be... heavenly.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  11. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    The NES HDMI Mini console thing sounds cool but no thanks.

Im doing just fine with my Retro Duo console where it plays NES and Super Nintendo games just fine.

plus old NES games are still pretty cheap on amazon anyway

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I have exactly zero need for this, will probably get next to zero use out of it, and will still buy it. Well played Nintendo.

Amazing.

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I know its just an emulator and not an actual NES, and I probably already have many of those games on Virtual Console on 3DS or Wii U, but I'm still sorely tempted. Talk about the nostalgia factor, and I never even owned an NES. Still, for $60, I've bought several games I haven't gotten around to yet, so this might not be so bad. Now if it was an SNES, it'd be an instant buy (I used to own one of those).

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    All this talk of, "It's not for me" is all fine and well if you still have your console, use a clone device or the Virtual Console on your Wii's. But not everyone has those devices. I think that the "Nintendo Classic Edition", like the "Atari Flashback" and the "Sega Genesis Classic Game Console" are more for the lapsed gamer and the causal gamer than folks like us. I got myself the 6th edition of the Flashback last November, since my old 2600 might not work anymore. Sure, I can't play all of the games that aren't available, but it's something that works. I'm not planning to get this because my NES still works, remarkably and I have half of the games listed. Still, I can understand why the companies would go for this and why Nintendo decided to wait as long as they did. And why people would get one of these.

Blowing's not the problem. The 10 Pin connectors and the front loading are the problem. If you ever notice, you don't have to blow on your top loading games and have no problem making the connections.

Martoto77 and Life like this.
  15. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Don't get me wrong, I love that Nintendo is doing this and think it's really neat. But I'm so bummed they left out Mega Man 3--one of the best games in the NES library!

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The save states are making me consider this. I hope they do this for Nintendo's arcade games as well.

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Hmm, 60 bucks for a bunch of games that I already have on my laptop. No thanks.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Well, they have to save something for later editions. I wager within the next five years, all of the NES "Mega Man" games will be available.

19. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

No, Nintendo has said they're not adding any new games to the system--what you see is what you get. (Unless you're referring to them releasing another little NES set five years down the road, but we don't have any evidence they're going to do that.)

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, I mean that there will be another edition next year with additional games. Atari and Sega have both done that with their plug and play games. "Atari Flashback" is on its sixth edition which has over a hundred games to it. Here's the third, fourth and sixth editions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Flashback

I wager that Nintendo will follow suit if this proves profitable.

Life likes this.
  21. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    All 30 of those games would cost $150 on WiiU VC.

I don't like the NES much but if a Mini SNES comes next I will buy it.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Hahahaha oh man, really? Christ. That only makes the pricing on this thing mildly insulting by comparison, I guess.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The "Atari Flashback" 6 costs $44.99 before tax and shipping, when you buy it from Toys R Us. It was on sale $39.99 before tax at Bed Bath & Beyond.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The pricing really isn't bad considering it has a Wii/U-compatible controller and an HDMI cable. You're basically getting $180 worth of stuff (not counting the emulator hardware itself since that's harder to quantify) for a third of the cost.

If you're looking at just the games, that's basically 30 games for $30, or 1/5th their normal VC retail price.

I don't know if I'll pick this up myself- I still have my NES and my friend's used game shop can hook me up with refurbs and repairs if I ever need them, but the HDMI output and convenience might make it useful for a spare room/TV for retro gaming without having to disconnect the NES or Wii U from one room and bring it to another.

Really, though, the biggest draw would be the 1st party NES Classic controller. But $60 is hard to justify by itself.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You know HDMI cables cost like $5, right?

Edit: A USB NES controller runs for less than $10 and there's essentially no universe in which the magic of ~Wii compatibility~ makes that pricing change. So you're looking at roughly $45-50 for hardware (hardware you unequivocally do not need because everyone who would have an HDMI capable TV has a phone, or game system, or computer, or the TV itself, capable of running these games in 2016) and games, for which you are then told $1 per game is a fair price for a thirty year old ROM's data.

I can't blame Nintendo for exploiting people's nostalgia for that sweet cheddar but man.

Ezio Skywalker and Life like this.