main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NES Star Wars...you'd better use a Game Genie.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth_Conthhheivable, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Conthhheivable

Darth_Conthhheivable Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2005
    OH MY GOSH!! I forgot how absurdly hard that game was. Jeez. I loved the game growing up, but even at my best, I could never get past the Death Star tractor beam. That's what replay value was all about in the 80s. Games were butt-hard and to beat them you had to play them forever! Even with an emulator and 4-5 codes you can now put into a game genie (on your PC), I still can't beat the TIE fighters with the Falcon. 've never seen a game that was so great and SO FRUSTRATING. Just had to vent. How do/did you like the original NES Star Wars?

2. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..eh, at the time you would keep on going back for the abuse because it was STAR WARS..

However, playing it again with time and a buttload of gaming accumulated, i think the game is actually almost unplayable..Really makes me realize just how much more patience i had when i was 12. :p

I did like how it was openended, though.. You didn't have to do EVERYTHING in order to advance..

3. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Was this the one where you started off in Lukes Landspeeder and you could explore Tatoinee? You could get the saber from Obi Wan and rescue R2 but you didn't have to...

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    My friend had this and I remember it being pretty hard- I think we made it at leats to Docking Bay 94, not sure how far past that we got though.

It was hard but also not that spectacular a game.

As far as SW games goes, Super ESB is still one of the toughest (and most glorious) of the console titles.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I think games in general were harder back then. Nowadays if people get stuck for more then 30 seconds they either give up or cheat. Back in MY day we would spend hours to get past one enemy and be grateful for the experience! Kids today with their cheat codes and their internet walkthroughs! *grumble mumble grumble*...

6. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    SW ESB was tough, but I always found SW ROTJ for SNES the hardest, I only got out of the Death Star with the falcon once.

For NES SW, just save and creep (assuming you emulated your legitimately bought copy of NES SW :p )

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually found Super ROTJ the easiest of that trilogy- Super SW had a couple pretty hard levels or bosses (that Stormtrooper carrier in Mos Eisley was the "i need the best weapon by time i get thre or i can't beat it" for me) and ESB's various ice caverns were pretty challenging (especially for the first levels of a game), and I don't think me or my friends could beat the Ugnaught level- hell all of those various Cloud City levels were ridiculously difficult. The only ROTJ level that gave me any trouble at all was the Shield Generator Bunker.

8. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Whenever I think of NES Star Wars I think of the asteroid field. Oh my God that part was hard.

9. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Ya know... I actually beat it.
    The trench was pretty fun. The TIEs in the X-Wing were bloody impossible, but I got lucky a few times.
    Actually, there was one Death Star level... You had to do a lot of ridiculous jumping using conveyor belts and there were all these spikes and stormtroopers/droids waiting at innopportune intervals. That one sucked pimply ASS...

I never beat ESB. I got to cloud city and would always get my butt handed to me. At least I think that was it.

As far as the SNES, RotJ gave me no trouble. ANH gave me a fair amount. ESB was a headache, but I did it. I never bothered properly dueling with Darth. I just wacked away and sucked down Force Heal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.