main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Netflix Viewing Club

Discussion in 'Community' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, Nov 25, 2014.

1. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    Is anyone interested in a Netflix Viewing Club, where we watch one movie a week and discuss it?

2. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Question, can we bring our own food?

3. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
  4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  5. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    Barring the negativity, I am going to be watching Tarrantino's Django Unchained if anyone wants to watch it with me.

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I just watched it last week.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Oh sure, start this club after I cancelled my Netflix subscription.

8. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    So resubscribe:p.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No thanks. :p

10. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I traditionally am more inclined to watch a film on my list if I see it's going to go off of Instant and therefore need to make time for it.

11. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    All you have to do is go to Search and type the name of the movie.:shrug: Isn't the intellectual stimulation worth 20 seconds of time?

12. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I download my tv shows from file sharing sites and I don't feel guilty because they were on tv once free for all anyways. I just happened to miss them because they were on in ENGLAND. I do have Fletnix though

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm watching Blue is the Warmest Colour. You should watch it, Scruffy. With your parents.

14. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    I would totally join this, but someone else in the house is always hogging the TV....

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Do they post on here?

16. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    I'll look into it, I'm 38 years old though, so I don't live with my parents. I probably can't watch BitWC at work though.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Movies? What about series? I just finished catching up with Supernatural on NEtflix and then the newer episodes online.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I watched the first episode of the American-House of Cards. It was okay.

Then the BBC House of Cards arrived and I watched it start to finish. This was my second viewing and I forgot how great it is. It is superior in every way.

19. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    I'm all for watching tv series on netflix and hulu plus, but it might be too time intensive to get everyone on the same page in this forum setting.

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I just watched nymphomaniac part 1 and 2 on Netflix. They were both pretty good

21. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    question - can you bring me food?

tom likes this.
  22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Today's Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Sarge and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  23. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Question. Netflix have the 6 Million man series?
    I used to have Netflix, but I left the site, and changed to Vudu.
    But if you want to watch a TV episode you need to pay it.

No in Netflix. Just the month cost.

24. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    What morals are worth dying for? This is the central question of Quintin Terrintino's latest, Djanjo Unchained. Some of Djanjo Unchained is classic Terrintino. Violence and provocative subject matter. Add to that award worthy writing and acting. I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave, but I'll start off by saying I can't believe Unchained didn't get more serious best picture contention. It was THAT good.

Some of Djanjo Unchained is very disturbing, for sure. Some of the violence could be seen as unneccessary, the use of the N-word, while historically appropriate, causes a cringe every time someone uses it. Djanjo Unchained owes a lot to Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven, in that both are morality tales, and both use violence to portray a message. Terrantino has a gift for bringing out great performances in his actors, and it is no less true here. Jamie Foxx deliveres a career performance as the title character Djanjo Freeman, a slave who is freed and then becomes a bounty hunter, looking to free his wife, who is also a slave. It would be easy for Foxx to be stoic and unmoving, but he is the opposite, fully making us care about his character. Djanjo has no easy road, he must give up a lot to get what he wants, and even then he may not achieve it in the end. Christoph Waltz is fabulous as Dr. King Schultz, a dentist turned bounty hunter who hunts down those he finds morally objectionable. His friendship with Djanjo is a stark contrast to the way slaves are treated. Sometimes history books gloss over the hardships slaves faced in 19th century America, but it is not glossed over here, and this movie is a stern reminder not to forgot the mistakes we made in the past. Finally, Leonardo DiCaprio deliveres an exceptional performance as Mr. Candie, a ruthless slave owner. DiCaprio puts passion into all of his performances, most notably his recent performance in The Wolf Of Wall Street. He is undoubtedly one of the most powerful and talented actors in hollywood at the moment.

Djanjo Unchained is not for the faint of heart. It's lessons are hard, the struggles the characters go through are real and moving, and it is as violent as any movie I've recently seen. But the violence is clearly there for a purpose, to serve as a lesson of what not to do, and every cruel character has a character of good morals and values to contrast it. Is it a movie to watch over and over again? No, but it is unarguably one of the best and most powerful films of the year.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

25. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    give up, scruffy

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.