main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Netflix's Lost In Space remake series

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Saw the first two episodes. Halfway through the first episode I realized that this show borrows heavily from the aesthetics of the Mass Effect video game series, so much that Robot looks almost exactly like Mass Effect's Geth. I can't determine if this is somehow a nod to Mass Effect or just blatantly ripping off Mass Effect's design cues.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Finished it tonight. Ended fairly strong, IMO, some decent action and excitement, but predictable. I like what they did with John Williams' theme music; once again JW elevates all he touches.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Finished it last night and thought it was rather decent. It had a few slow parts but overall I enjoyed it. Beautiful visuals, especially the space scenes. Hoping it gets renewed for season 2.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Sarge like this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Everyone is telling me that I'm missing out on "The Expanse," yet I keep watching stuff like this instead. It looks great, and true, very Mass Effecty, which makes me more angry at myself for getting sucked in to something so mediocre.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the expanse is good. i'm three episodes into this lost and space reboot and will most likely stop here. i'm already rooting for parker posey and i know it will be an exercise in futility.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm listening to the soundtrack album right now. It's pretty good.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I binged the entire first season and love it.

I'm so glad it departed from the basic and bland story telling and character development of the original 1960's TV show and reimagined this series for the modern audience.

First of all, the element that I enjoyed the most was the Iron Giant flavoring between Will Robinson and the robot. I felt that was the heartbeat of the show and character most of the emotional weight while other story line were developing.

Parker Posey as Dr. Smith is another reimagined element that works wonderfully, as the character has a different origin story and becomes that character you love to hate. She's the antagonist that is very charismatic and ingeniously diabolical, and she knows it's her only means of survival and therefore is unapologetic. Posey's Dr. Smith is a great foil to the Robinson family.

Mirroring Posey's Dr. Smith is Molly Parker's, Maureen Robinson, that becomes the series backbone and with Dr. Smith, drives the narrative forward. Maureen, is not the subordinate character from the 1960s but rather the commanding character which she rightfully earns and deserves before the end of the first season.

The supporting characters of John Robinson, Judy Robinson, Penny Robinson and Don West are nicely blended into the story and given their moments. John Robinson is every the soldier; Judy Robinson is brash and headstrong and her decision sometimes work and sometimes not so much; Penny provides the snarkyness and sarcasm; and Don is given the Han Solo role. There are other characters that also come into the story that things totally different from the original series.

I found this newest iteration of Lost in Space a page turner and well worth watching. I'm hoping for a season two.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I've watched this now and decided I'm okay with the villain. I think the issue I had with the villain is that she adds to the tedium of the show by being a constant block to solving crises. So she can feel like the reason "we" can't get anywhere.

But she's good as a sociopathic villain and I liked that in the last episode she admitted she gave the answer she thought was the right one (to the question of why she helped Mr. Robinson). She is "morally insane" and to at least tell the truth is something at least.

I liked the conflict of the villain vs. the child, probably because as a child I liked such dynamics.

I was randomly thinking of traditional masculinity in the show, which I feel many characters embody in different ways: for instance West, Mr. Robinson and Victor.

The dynamic between West and Judy definitely draws off Han and Leia in Star Wars. And I'd even ship them after Judy is 18.

Both West and Mr. Robinson are in this position of sacrificing, of taking the hard road for the others, told to do so by female characters. The show is gendered.

But the other thing is, if the genders are the same, what is the point in pairing? I don't see the need to pair with my own gender. I seek a complimentary opposite.

Sarge and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Looks good!

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  10. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I watched the original series as a kid.

The movie had two is my favorite actors, Hurt and Oldman. It sucked.

The new TV series looks promising.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m watching this one after having it on my Netflix queue for awhile and after my son finished both seasons without me. :p

First episode was great. Second one is a little slow.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Second season had its ups and downs. I'm not sorry I watched it, but I have no interest in watching it again.