main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Networking Computers at different Homes

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by masterpadawan, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterpadawan

masterpadawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    Is this even possible, ya know like somehow knowing the IP address or something and then share files (We are both planning to work on the Fanfilm but our Computers need to be in contact. Can we somehow do this? Without Physically connecting the computers, or any peripherals. But possibly just through an internet connection?

2. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Hopefully both computers are connected to a broadband or you'll be in for some very, very slow transfers.

Even then, with broadband, you may encounter relatively slow transfer speeds (compared to a LAN).

~Arfour_Peeseventeen~

3. masterpadawan

Jul 5, 2002
    yes we're both on cable, I still don't care, though. But I want to actually know how to connect the computers easily (even with a hard method as long as it's understandable)

4. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    why do u need to be connected?

unless both of you have cable/dsl/T1(or up) ur connection will be too slow to share files of sizes of more than 50 megs (efficiently..) heck even 10 megs will take a while on dialup...

if you DO have cable (both..) i'd say u can both set up an FTP server on your computers and share files that way (not needing the other to be at his computer to accept a file)

5. masterpadawan

Jul 5, 2002
    alright how do you do this FTP setup and can it be done on Windows XP - Windows (shutter)ME or 98

6. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    any computer that can use any kind of network/internet can run an ftp... Mac/windows/linux/unix etc..

for windows there is usually a program u can get that will set up an ftp server for u..

try looking for warftp, servU, or G6 FTP server .. to name a few

7. masterpadawan

Jul 5, 2002
    Are there any EASY (like step by step) FTP programs, I heard WarFTP was complex.

8. NXTB

NXTB Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Do you have win 2000 or XP Professional? It comes with internet information services which can be configured to do FTP.

9. KC0GRN

KC0GRN Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2001
    Okay, here's a really easy FTP server.

http://www.webattack.com/get/freepeer.shtml

3 steps and you're up.

And if you're so inclined to not use your computer's IP address, you can go to www.dyndns.org, sign up for their dynamic dns service, and you can then register a dns name, something like mycomputer.gotdns.com (there's several subnets you can choose from, not only gotdns.com) basically pick any name, register it, and add it onto the subnet of your choice, and anyone that types that into their web browser, ftp, or anything else, gets directed to your computer. Obviously though, you need to tell dyndns.org anytime your IP address changes (if you use a modem, this will likely be every time you connect to the net), all you haveta do to do this is visit your account page on dyndns.org and update it. Simple really.

Only thing about the PeerFTP program is your other people need to also have it running on their computers to share their files out, and you will also need a FTP client, but Internet explorer 5.x and above I believe has this built in, unless you did a minimal install.

One other option that might be simpler and faster, yet less secure, if you don't mind anyone knowing your ip address being able to get the files in the directory you select.
    All you'd need then is this program called www share. that can be found here.

http://www.webattack.com/newapp.php?id=104977

The other downfall to using this though is noone can upload files to yout computer, but if they have the same program running on their computer, and keep all the files in the same directory they share out, you would be able to download their versions of the files.

Anyways, good luck.

10. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    setting up an ftp is really quite simple ... not very complex at all

warftp.. servU.. all those they're pretty much the same..

i personally find them easy.. but then again im the kinda guy who set up his own network at home using a linux box as a gateway to the net..

11. fourfools

fourfools Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    probably the easiest is to just use Aol Instant Messenger, i believe, at least in the older versions, you can add a buddy to a list of specific people that can pull/put files into a specific directory on your drive, and vice versa. That might be one of the simplest things to do.

12. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    I was able to file share with my father over our cable modems. I don't think you're suppossed to do this over the cable company network, but I just enabled a share and applied security to it, then gave the IP address of my machine to my father- he went to the RUN command and typed in \\myipaddress\mysharename and he was able to access my drive from his machine. We were both on the same cable company's network, so that might have made a difference.

13. KC0GRN

KC0GRN Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2001
    Yeah, you can't really share like that out past your own network. It's risky anyways. It's like opening up a window for a hacker to stick his head in.

14. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    Invest in a CD burner would be my choice.

When you've got a cable connect, aren't you basically on a LAN with the other people in your area? If you knew how you could probably tap into any computer on it that doesn't have a decent firewall. Something tells me that would be looked down upon by your ISP tho.

15. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. I am a tech-literate person, but I am having trouble setting up a LAN on two new Win. Xp computers, using RJ-45 (standard Ethernet cables). I just can't seem to get the connection to go live. I wish someone could guide me thru this. I've scoured the net for answers, and the only thing I've seen are reports of a bug in Win. 2k and that I need some sort of special RJ-45 jack. Help, anyone?

16. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    If you are using a hub all you need is a pair of RJ45 cables. If you are going directly from one machine to the other with no equipment between (hub/switch/router) you need a cross-over cable. Any computer store will have one. You should enable or add file and print sharing on both machines. If either of these machines are connected to the internet via DSL or cable modem you can be open for attack from the net if this feature is enabled.

D

17. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    heh at the rate things go.. i dont know which is cheaper.... a hub... or a crossover cable.. if i were you i'd get a hub.. just because it would leave room for expandability... and hubs go for around 50-60 dollars (for a 4 port 10/100 hub..) and im sure a cross over cable is what.. 20?

some crazy price.. u know how cables are :p

18. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    If you're in close proximity, I'd recommend 80211(b) connections. Wi-Fi is the way to go.

19. NXTB

NXTB Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Not if they are both desktops -- 100 ethernet is faster, and more stable. To clarify what these guys have been saying, a crossover cable is just another type of ethernet cable with the wires switched around a bit. They look identical from the outside so you'll have to make sure you get one. If you ever decide to add another comptuer and get a hub/etc, you'll need new cables (that one won't work with a hub) You can also modify an ethernet cable yourself to be crossover. Not that difficult, if you're comfortable with that kind of thing (This is what I did).

20. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    If you are going P2P, you need the cross-over cable. IT looks just like a regular RJ-45, cause it is, but the 2 middle wires are switched. I used to make them all the time. Iwould suggest that you get a hub, as it would make it much easier to add additional PC's later if you want to. I am also one of those guys who cabled his house so everyone in the house has interenet access through my WIN2K Server. I also run a Max render farm on it to. I also run WARFTP. It is quite easy to setup and configure. IT does it mostly by itself. The hardest part is making the accounts and giving them access to only certain folders, and that is easy to. Of course you both would need a FTP client and I use FTP pro 1.0. Easy to use and effcient.

I would be lost without my network at home. I use it for all kinds of file sharing and drive mapping. And I love my cable!

Gare

21. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Try using a remote admin program. You will be able to share all your files and be able to run your all friends programs from your computer! Its very cool! I know people that log on to their home machines from school and play games. As long as you get the security set up there shoulnt be any trouble.

Free Peer FTP 2.0.2

Radmin

Remote Adminisrator

SWmaster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.