main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit NEU - which books would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dukeleto69, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    While I have loved the films since since I was a kid and saw every one at the cinema (I was 8 in 1977) I have never seen any of the TV series or read any EU material. That is generally because most tie in fiction is pretty poor (with the exception of some of the Black Library/Games Workshop stuff for Warhammer 40k).

However, TLJ has brought me back into the excitement of Star Wars and I am intrigued enough to maybe read a few of the recent novels (partly to flesh out what happened between VI and VII) but also intrigued by "Tarkin" for example.

What would you recommend? Are the books of variable quality?

Thanks

Dagobahsystem and Stymi like this.
  2. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    This quote, stated from a point of affirmation will be exactly your conclusion after having read them.

3. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    Ok but would you recommend any?

4. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    The Path to the Force Awakens and Path to the Last Jedi fill in some gaps. The latter much more than the former. Particularly Lost Stars if you want to know where all those shipwrecks on Jakkuu came from.

5. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    Thanks

6. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    The new canon's novels aren't really it's greatest strengths imo. Tarkin is the only really impressive one to me. Bloodline is okay and it ties in with TLJ. I remember enjoying Heir to the Jedi. I didn't like Catalyst or Rogue One but they are heavily tied together.

Dukeleto69 likes this.
  7. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    My personal favorites are A New Dawn which is a great book that ties into Rebels quite well and Bloodline which is a truly phenomenal Leia story set several years before ep VII that also fleshes out the political situation in the New Republic before it gets starkillered.

Jedi Ben and Dukeleto69 like this.
  8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Bloodline is the best novel in between ROTJ and TFA so far. I highly recommend it if you're interest is in that era.

9. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    If you want to read adult novels, which I presume you do, I highly recommend A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller. If you are a fanboy, you could pick up Lords of the Sith, just for the concept of Vader and Palpatine being stranded on a planet by Paul S. Kemp. Also if you like well-written books, Phasma by Delilah S. Dawson, is also a good start. However, I think both of the latter aren't that great in terms of storyline.

Just read A New Dawn. Books are super-expensive and you shouldn't buy them unless they are worth it. As an avid reader, I tend to read books in one shot in the Barnes and Nobles (when my neighborhood still had one)

Dukeleto69 likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I super-recommend Bloodline, Thrawn and Lost Star, and then also recommend the Aftermath trilogy and Catalyst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I back up recs for Bloodline and Phasma. The second and third Aftermath books are good, but I wasn’t crazy about the first, so the trilogy takes some time to get going.
    Twilight Company was also good, but not much tie-in the the new films.

Dukeleto69 likes this.
  12. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    For the time between OT and ST, the Aftermath Trilogy, Bloodline, and Phasma are all really good and do a lot to develop the galaxy and lead into TFA. Aftermath is about the end of the Empire during the year after the Battle of Endor. It introduces a new cast of great characters, but Han and Leia also have significant roles and are handled well. The trilogy hints at what we see in the ST. Bloodline is about Leia's political career prior to leading the Resistance. It's a good book and gives us a look into New Republic politics. Phasma is fairly self contained, but we see a little of the First Order. Also it's just a great story.

A New Dawn is also a good book and introduces the main antagonist from the Aftermath Trilogy. It's not essential reading but it's a great book. Catalyst is a Rogue One prequel and is a fantastic novel. It shows the transition from Republic to Empire. Rogue One is even better having read this book. Both Battlefront novels provide a good look at a soldiers perspective. They include great characters. I also enjoyed Thrawn a lot. Lastly, I'd highly recommend Lost Stars, it was a fairly complex look at the Galactic Civil War.

13. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate the recommendations. Cheers!

JediKnight75 likes this.
  14. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    - Lords of the Sith
    - Tarkin
    - Catalyst
    - Bloodlines

Are the only four adult novels I really enjoyed (unless I'm making a glaring omission). Lost Stars and Leia: Princess of Alderaan are great too.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    In Legends, any and all by Timothy Zahn [face_love]
    In the new canon:
    Razor's Edge
    Honor Among Thieves ;)
    Ahsoka
    Rogue One Novelization
    Leia, Princess of Alderaan

Have not read it yet but probably will recommend Lost Stars.

:D

16. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves are both Legends aren't they?

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One very distinct difference between the old and new books has been the quality of the YA material, that has authors like Jason Fry, Greg Rucka and Claudia Gray contributing.

There's a lot of enjoyable stuff to read here, which you'd miss if you go by the age rating alone - my recommendation is to ignore that element.

AV-6R7 and Xander Vos like this.
  18. Benster7703

Benster7703 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2018
    First of all, if a book is a paperback that has a gold stipe that has "legends" written on it, ignore it. Legends books were removed from the timeline years ago. I would recommend Bloodline. One that i am currently and enjoying is Leia: Princess of Alderaan. And if your into comic i would recommend the main Marvel comics Star Wars line.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Yes, they are.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

20. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    "Young Adult" really just means "teens and college students", so it's far from kiddy fare. "Adult" vs. "Young Adult" has become an increasingly arbitrary distinction in recent years.

21. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    There's a sex scene in Lost Stars so I don't even really see any distinction at all.

22. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Personally, I would strongly recommend Catalyst, and even though this is a YA novel, I still strongly recommend Rebel Rising, it gives you a lot, and I mean a lot of context for who Jyn is. The Aftermath Trilogy is also something you should look into since it's the biggest series of canon novels to date. Bloodline is amazing and worth checking out, it helps a lot with the world building of the ST. Battlefront Inferno Squad is another good one, especially if you want to play Battlefront 2. Lost Stars is great, and so is Leia Princess of Alderaan. Heir to the Jedi isn't that bad of a novel, it isn't the best, but it's not the worst either. Phasma is almost a must read due to how much damage control the book does for the Phasma character. Legends of Luke Skywalker is a fun read. I like to say that Lords of the Sith is basically just Vader and Palpatine go on a road-trip, but it really is a good book, it was the first book I read in the new canon and I loved it. Both Thrawn A New Dawn are both great books if you ever want to get into Rebels.

23. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    Again everyone thanks all good recommendations.

I am in a quandry about the Aftermath trilogy! The premise/plot sounds great but I have seen a lot of reviews saying the writing is not very good. Thoughts?

24. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Aftermath is written horribly.

Yes. Avoid it. It is a slog to read and really the reward isn't worth it.

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Aftermath was targeted by those who hated the new continuity in principle, and also those with an anti-LGBT agenda as it featured a gay main character. So keep that in mind when you read some of the reviews...

@Jozgar - say that to the Save the Resistance book 2. As much as I love a good YA novel, that was definitively more Y than A.