main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Never too late for some more Training (Jedi and NJO)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Has anyone noticed that the rank of Jedi Knight means very little in the NJO now because really speaking apparently Luke was handing the rank out like balloons at a children's birthday party due to the amount of people who seem to be completing their training then comming back and saying "Wellllllll maybe I'm not quite ready yet"

Jainia Organa Solo for instance completed her training under Master Luke Skywalker's Jedi academy and several perilous missions including a brush with the Shadow Academy (which apparently taught her nothing of the Dark Side tempetations-Was Brakiss just the worst evil corrupter in the galaxy or what?) and Black sun. She was awarded for her efforts the rank of Jedi knight in the end.

Yet she's gone off to assume training under Mara Jade in NJO's beginning and apparently that came o end and she's seeking tutelage under Kyp?

Jacen Solo isn't much better with the same pattern as his sister but I believe that Luke is officially taking on Jacen as his apprentice by NJO despite Jacen already being a knight...

Anakin has been training under Master Ikrit for some time so please tell me exactly how he ended up learning from Mara before his untimely demise? Anakin is less troublesome than the twins I think though because he wasn't given the Full Rank of Jedi Knight at such an early age.

Is their a problem with the old Master bonds or am I merely missing something.

2. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Perhaps Luke's behavior is due to the fact that they still know very little about the old Jedi order and the code. Anakin and Jacen were both Luke's apprentices. In TPM Yoda said that the code forbids a master from having two apprentices.

3. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    however, you would think luke got a hold of some of youda's old stuff after he died.

4. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Yeah, I had wondered that myself. Perhaps Yoda didn't have much on the old order. Finding it could have been dangerous. Perhaps much of it was destroyed by the Emperor. Maybe Obi-wan and Yoda figured that Luke needed to figure out what it meant to be a Jedi and what the Order should be about for his own time, considering the apparent failings of the old order.

5. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Luke went back to Dagobah at one point. Everything was destroyed. It is the New Jedi Order because the old one is gone and destroyed, and pretty much forgotton. Don't forget, the Jedi Purge destroyed almost all information about the Jedi as well.

6. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I like the idea of a new Jedi order. I mean, as Lianna pointed out, the old Jedi order didn't work out too well, so maybe a new beginning is in order. But as usual, history will repeat itself.

7. Infiltrator

Jan 4, 2002
    all too much

8. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    I had forgotten about him returning to Dagobah.

9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Umm well the old jedi lasted 25,000 years, the new Jedi may not last 20, so maybe he SHOULD go back to the old ways?

10. Jedi Novaga Sage

Jedi Novaga Sage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 1999
    well the old jedi order didnt have to worry about traitorous Jedi and beings they cant sense in the Force

11. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Maybe because the old Jedi could actually sense the Yuuzhan Vong in the Force.

Over years however, they may have lost something in their thinking and/or practice of the Force.

12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "She was awarded for her efforts the rank of Jedi knight in the end. "

I dun think they were promoted at the end of YJK. They were going to be taken on as apprentices.

The way the Jedi Order is in TPM was not how it always had been. Before Rusaan,the Jedi order was alot more liberal. It was still more disciplined Luke's order though. :p

13. Rev_Leidu

Rev_Leidu Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2001
    Okay, let's look over this. The Old Jedi didn't have to worry about war and getting wiped out until the Clone Wars. They also had records of past Jedi and some Masters that had lived well over 800 years.

In the New Order's case, they were rebuilt from basically nothing. Just Luke finding some Force-sensitive people and teaching them what he knew, which isn't much compared to what the Old Order knew. Also, the countless problems they have been having in the galaxy (Grand Admiral Thrawn, the Ssi Ruuk, the Yuuzhan Vong...) so it's has been difficult to keep the Order in order.

Also, the Yuuzhan Vong weren't around when the Old Order was around. The Yuuzhan Vong just discovered the galaxy only recently. They have never heard of it before the NJO books.

Basically what I'm saying is that the New Order have been doing a darned good job of staying alive through all the stuff they've been through and they are (barely) staying together through the war with the Yuuzhan Vong. Hopefully this Order will be smarter than the Old one, and not get arrogant about staying alive forever.

(talkative, aren't I?)

14. Infiltrator

Jan 4, 2002
    yes, talkitive you are. i agree with you.

(not so talkitive arent i)

15. Rev_Leidu

Nov 22, 2001
    [face_laugh] No you're not. :D

16. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    Actually, Rev, the vong were in the GFFA during the old order. It's not stated as fact, but the mysterious race of space fairing creatures in Rogue Planet is pretty obviously the vong.

Anyway, for the most part, I whole heartily agree with you. Though the vong were their, the OJO and the OR did not have to deal with the vong as in the NJO.

Also, Charlemagne, the reason the jedi lasted 25,000 years is because until the time of Palpy, no one ever tried to whipe them out with main galactic support of sorts. The NJO is being tested very early on in the NR and does not have the kind of support that the OJ had until Palpy.

Back to your original question, which ever so often is forgotten in conversations like these. The old order is dead. It died long ago, as well as it's training methods and most of it's knoledge of the force as to use and understanding.

With the new order, the jedi are much more liberal with all of their ways, especially their training. It's as though as soon as you become a padawan learner you are immediately given the rank of jedi knight. I mean, even Cilgahl(sp.) I believe has that title and she's a healer.

17. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Good post Rev. I especially appreciate what you said about the New Order being smarter than the Old one. Some believe that the old order had the answers and that Luke should rebuild the old one. Well, I say that the Old order was flawed. The fact that they could not stop Vader and the Emperor from wiping them out is an example of this. Luke should of course find out what he can about the old order and study it. But in the end he and the other Jedi should decide what is relevant for the present time and what things are not and form a new Order based on these ideas.

18. Infiltrator

Jan 4, 2002
    everyone's talkitive except me :(

19. Rev_Leidu

Nov 22, 2001
    *slaps forehead* I keep forgetting about Rogue Planet. Yes, it is assumed the Yuuzhan Vong were there before, but they never tried to invade the whole galaxy back then, so the Old Jedi got off easy there.

Also, I just want to say that the Old Order might have gotten a bit too comfy with being the most powerful group in their time and that was their downfall.

Luke and the New Jedi, on the other hand, have been tested over and over again and were never really the most powerful group in their time. Plus the fact that they were always on the bad side of Senate and now everyone wants their heads to get the Yuuzhan Vong to stop invading.

Jeez, I'll really be amazed if they're still kicking after all this.

(being talkative isn't always a good thing, you usually say something wrong sooner orlater)

20. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    I guess you're a man of few words.

21. Infiltrator

Jan 4, 2002
    me? i guess so, although i've posted 60 times or so today. though all posts are short.

maybe i don't like to type too well

aaaaargh
    excuses

22. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    They won't. They would never let them get rid of all of the jedi. Just those that cool and important.

Also, it wasn't just the Emperor and Vader. There was also his entire army to deal with, and I don't care who you are, 1000 or even 10,000 cannot defeat millions by themselves.

23. Rev_Leidu

Nov 22, 2001
    Clones...ugh. You can make a million copies of the same person and still make more. What a way to make an army...

24. Infiltrator

Jan 4, 2002
    yeah
    yeah
    yeah
    yeah
    yeah
    yeah
    yeah
    yeah
    yeah

sorry

25. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Repeating the same word in succesion does not make you any more talkative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.