main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Neverwinter or Morrowind?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Excellence, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    What are the pros and cons of each game? They look so alike, are they that much different? I'm not conversant in DaD type games, but are they difficult to learn? Shadows of Amn had so many spells and rules for a first timer I had to give up very early in the game. Is Neverwinter and Morowind more user friendly?

And where are the first two Elderscroll games? I can only find Elder 3: Morrowind.

2. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Well I don't know much of anything about Morrowind, though I do play NWN very frequently.So I can provide much more help on the NWN side of things. I wasn't sure I would like it (NWN) either, but I bought it and it's one of my favorite games now.
    Its re-play value is through the roof, especially considering all of the added stuff they but in this last expansion. It really opens the game up even more.

Though I don't play Marrowind, I can tell that it is different from NWN a good bit.
    NWN is 3rd person RPG. Not at all hard to pick up, the learning curve is pretty quick.
    Marrowind is firstperson, or so the box elludes to it. Most RPG have too much game in them (KOTOR/II) and it can get pretty confusing if you don't pay attention. But I picked up KOTOR pretty quick, I mean it isn't like the game is hard to understand. After a while everything becomes second nature. I would assume it is similar to KOTOR then, in its game likeness.

As I am sure you have figured out we have some places to help you out.

I cannot tell you a great deal about Marrowind,but NWN, I can help you on.

3. Yun_yellowblade

Yun_yellowblade Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2005
    Well ive never played neverwinter but i have spent many hours playing morrowind. The first 2 are called elder scrolls: arena and dagerfall or somthing like that. they are pretty old. I dont know if neverwinter shipped with a construction set though i think it did, but morrowind did and it makes for truly endless content. People are constantly making the game bigger and better. And the main story itself is just huge. As for it being complicated, its not. the combat is extremely simple. Its almost too simple to be honost. I play it every few months after downloading all the new mods and it was worth every cent.

4. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    NWN- follows DnD rules, 3rd person, similarish to KotOR, gameplaywise.

Morrowind- My friend had Morrowind. I asked if I could borrow it. He yelled, "yes!", gave it to me, and told me to never give it back to him on threat of death. Confused, I installed it and tried it out. I soon came to the same realization as he had. I hate this game. It made me rather sad, as I had had high hopes for it. I really hated the combat, and, well...all of it.

I personally have to suggest NWN, from the bottom of my heart. It is by far my most favorite RPG ever, and is very very high up on my list of my favorite games.

((If you decide to go for Morrowind, though, I'll loan you my copy. Just don't give it back :p ))

If you have any questions at all regarding Neverwinter, head over to the thread Chim linked to. We can answer anything you throw at us.

5. eequo

eequo Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Oh my god get NWN, its a very good game. There's a lot of content, replayablity, as well as the ability to download TONS of new quests from the internet.

Morrowind seems cool at first, and like what Aragorn said above me, I hate it. It pretty much turns into a click-click-click-click-'till-they-die game in the first 20 minutes, like Runescape (ehhh), but in 3D. It may seem cooler than turn-based, but it gets really tedious after a while.

Plus, you seem to forget that NWN is turnbased after a while: they make it exciting and KOTOR-like.

6. DarthNapoleon

DarthNapoleon Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 20, 2000
    I've never really played NWN. I've wanted to, especially with the platnium edition out.
    I have tried to play Morrowind several times and have trouble getting into it. I have known many people who love it, but it's different for everyone. Morrowind is completely open-ended. You can do anything you want. Want to kill someone and take their house? You can do it. Want to work for one house and advance, you can do it. There is nothing telling you what to follow, it just hints along the way.

7. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Neverwinter Nights is a better game. It is much more in D&D style than Morrowind, though Morrowind is too, a very good RPG.
    However, not a single computer game can stand next to the original Dungeons and Dragons, with the books and dices.

8. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    Morrowind is a great game, once you figure out the "rules".

The game world is huge. The number of towns and npcs dwarfs the majority of RPGS I've ever played, and that includes KOTOR. I'll add the caveat that the game gets a lot better if you have one or both of the expansion packs, since they add a quest log to your journal, making it many times easier to know what you should be doing. With the right mods, Morrowind can be more rewarding than even KOTOR in places.

There are actually 5 games in the series, Arena was the first one, which is now so old that Bethsoft gives it away for free on their site. Daggerfall was the second, and its game world dwarfed even Morrowind's. Two spinoffs called Battlespire and Redguard came out in the late 90s before Morrowind in 2002 and two expansion packs not long after.

9. DarthNapoleon

DarthNapoleon Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 20, 2000
    I'm actually intrested in the new Elder Scrolls game, Oblivion. I might check it out. I still want to try NWN.

10. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Morrowind overwhelmed me a bit and I've yet to get into it.

The fourth one is coming out soon I think.

11. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Though I love Morrowind I have to say that NWN is superior in every way.

12. Charlie81

Charlie81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    They are both good games, but i prefer morrowind.
    Here is my short review:

NeverWinter nights:
    + many races, classes and feats
    + long story
    + lots of online modes (including persistent worlds)
    + very nice artwork
    + D&D world
    - dated gameplay
    - overhead camera
    - turn-based combat
    - little voice acting
    - takes a while for the story to develop

Charlie's note: 3/5 (good)

Morrowind:
    + total freedom (you can kill *everyone*)
    + many races, classes and spells
    + looks very nice
    + good, long story
    + very rewarding game experience
    + first person view places *you* in the middle of the action
    + talk to everyone
    + continue the game after you finish the story
    - weird combat system
    - takes a while to learn how to play

Charlie's note: 4.5/5

also, morrowind gives you as much as you put into it.

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Charlie, what do you mean by weird combat system?

Bugger, I had a long post forumated yesterday before the site went on hold, and didn't save it. :_|

So, Morrowind puts your camera angle like KOTOR, whereas Neverwinter is overhead like Baldur's Gate 2?

14. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Well I have KOTOR and the camera in it is almost the exact same as it is in NWN. So I don't really have any idea what you are talking about man.
    Some screenshots of Morrowind (back of the box) seemed to make it more like a FP game.

15. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I prefer Morrowind. I like the game better.

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Ok. So the way KOTOR's camera angle was to its players is the same for Neverwinter, right behind them?

17. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah. Sorta.
    You can move it all around. Move it down so it is like you are seeing from your characters point of view, up so you see from birds eye view, and the camera pivots so you can spin around your character. Zoom in and out.

Makes for interesting fights.

18. DarkJediLord

DarkJediLord Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2005
    Well i've only played Morrowind up to now but I am going to start NWN soon though.

Morrowind is basically a first-person RPG played on a very large Island. It has a very long and good story and many factions to join. As for the wierd combat system you can solve that problem with the combat enhanced mod. Morrowind also has 8 races to choose from and many skills to learn. It can be a *bit* repetitive in places if your trying to get 100 in one skill but apart from that Morrowind is a brilliant game.

19. Charlie81

Feb 1, 2005
    "Charlie, what do you mean by weird combat system?"

the thing about morrowind's combat system is that its real time, yet its based on statistics.

First every weapon has 4 moves, depending on which direction you are pressing when you click. each move has a certain amount of damage that it makes, but must people activate the option that makes you only use the most powerfull strike no matter which direction you press, so you end up using the same move several times to kill a foe. it would be cool if they had some kind of combo system like in the upcomming Dungeon Lords Rpg.

it's kind of weird *specially in the beginning* when you *hit* the target and yet you *missed*.
    Kinda like neverwinter or kotor but with out the animations that make you see that you really *missed*.

This happens a lot in the beggining because your stats are very low, i've know for a fact that this is one of the main reasons people quit right at the beggining. Almoust quit myself if it wasnt for the encouraging words of some member of the JC forums. I am deeply thankfull for that.

Bethesda made it pretty clear that they "fixed" the combat system for oblivion, and the lock system is now some kind of minigame instead of depending on stats.

I originally bought the Xbox version of morrowind, wich is very good, because at the time i didnt have a nice computer.

Obligatory "You suck because you posted about torrents" edit.

i'm anxious to finish it again on the pc but i just finished NWN and i have gothic 2 waiting, on top of that i have a HL2 addiction and the new devil may cry, so it may take a while, lol.
    I really cant wait to be a werewolf on the Goty version!!!

I hope they do more voice acting in oblivion, 'cus i hate reading my videogames. bioware did a great job on kotor and jade empire in that area, i wish bethesda does the same.

another thing really good on NWN is the soundtrack, which is way better then Morrowind's...

Are there any good Morrowind mods out there? is there a multiplayer mod?

20. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
  21. Charlie81

Feb 1, 2005
    Reviews... sometimes i dont trust them, they give high marks to games like viewtifull joe and such.

22. Dart-Dragon

Dart-Dragon Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2005
    ...Morrowind:Con:
    You steal an item worth 60000Gold only to discover that it has dissapeared!
    I yust bought the game 2 days ago...Cheapest game I`ve ever bought with all
    expansions included...I had to reinstal it because there was a glitch:
    8 is max can`t take 10! Need 10 to play...WHAT DA HELL!?...I like the game but I
    am a wandereing MORRON! My save name is "Legend" every time I try to follow directions
    I keep thinking: Legend of the wandering IDIOT! They should highlight were on the map
    they want you to go! I neaerly got myself killed!...The disease thing is annoying but
    gives a sense of realisme...

Question: What do I do with the Moon sugar? I`m guessing it`s a drug...Sell it?
    How do I use the Construction Set!?...I have Zero skill with PC...
    Can the guards be killed? If so does my bounty increase?...Am I an Idiot?
    (Please do not answer the last question)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.