main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New 31" Jakks Pacific Figures Announced

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 24, 2014.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Blur - cleaned up your extra posts. Looks like we might have been having some database issues at the same time so not your fault.

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Thanks Blur! Was the ROTS Chewie the Kay-Bee Exclusive or the OTC version of him? I've never gotten around to taking that one out of box, now he's stuffed into a dark corner of my storage unit, who knows when he'll see the light of day again so I can get a closeup look at him. The ROTS Chewie is awesome. The new Disney Store 12" version doesn't look too bad either, it's at least also sized appropriately at 15 1/2 inches.

I like that Leia but god her body is ugly and butchy Hasbro finally got a nice poseable body w/ the Leia who was on the speederbike, then they stopped making figures :(

I do like that they scaled down the size of these figures, I don't know how many of the 31" figures people would've been willing to buy. Reducing the size by 11" gives them a smaller footpirnt for people to display which is a good thing. I've seen a lot of collectors photos and the 31" guys are pretty popular as nice stand out pieces. I hope this big set sells well - they need to do a Yoda and Leia from this line.

3. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Hey - here's a link with more info. on the 12" 2005 ROTS Chewie - it looks like it was a Kay-bee exclusive:

http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS12chewbacca.asp

Kay-bee actually had some great 12" SW exclusives back in the day: IIRC, they had the electronic TC-14 (1999?!), a Gammorean Guard (2003), and a Leia Boushh, Luke, and Han three-pack (from around 1998). That Leia Boussh is my favorite 12" of Leia in that outfit, and IMHO it's superior to both the TRU exclusive & the 12" Sideshow Leia Boushh's that came out later...

Don't mind the Leia Hoth SM exclusive, though I see what you mean about the sculpt. I actually like the face (even though it doesn't look like Carrie Fisher); the white hoth outfit is what does it for me, since IMHO they did a good job on the clothing.

I'll overlook a lot when it comes to Hasbro's 12" figures, since the retail price (at that time) was so great. Each non-exclusive figure was roughly $20, which was a great price considering what you were getting. These days, an equivalent Sideshow 12" figure is about $120....

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  4. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Blur I love the Hasbro figures - the only ones I had problems w/ were the Han Solos because they had the hardest time capturing Harrison's likeness. They finally got one sculpt that was OK, but the early ones were just horrible.

I love their aliens, like you said they were affordable, so you could pack your shelves w/ tons of different characters inexpensively. I really want a new toy line of 12" figures to come out that are similar to the original Hasbro line. I love Sideshow but the prices are just skyrocketing on them. Now w/ Hot Toys officially jumping into the game as well the super high end figures are going to be massive wallet breakers.

I don't understand why people wouldn't want playline versions of the figures to continue to be made. Kids get their adult warm fuzzies and become collectors because of the toys that they loved to play with as kids. They can't get warm fuzzies about 12" figures if there aren't any out there to play with. The Disney Store 12" figures are a step in the right direction, but you can't change their clothes. They're just supersized action figures, not 1:6 scale figures.

BTW I love my Hasbro Gamorean Guard figure. I have him and a Sideshow version, the Hasbro one just has this wonderfully comical playful quality to him, it's one of those instances where I think I love both versions about equally, even though I paid a lot more for one of them.

[​IMG]

I just love the 12" line of toys - and I like figures that are larger. I don't go out of my way to get tons of the 3 3/4" figures other than ones w/ characters I desperately love (like Padme, Anakin, Biggs, etc) I do go bonkers for 12" figures of all sorts though. I really love my 18" Diamond Select figures - it pissed me off that they killed that line. It's why even though the new Jakks figures aren't as detailed as they were, at least they'll display nicely with them.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I saw the jumbo Fett figure at the store today.

He's smaller than my giant Batman.

I am disappoint.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah they're now 20" instead of 31".

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    BTW for those who've seen the new 20" guys in stores - what are they selling for?

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Jakks has a video showing off the new 20" Rebels figures. If you look closely around this guy's office - I spied a regular Han Solo, Greedo, and a large R2!

Here's another video showing off the Han, Scout Trooper, and Chewie!

9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Dang, those 20 inch figures are awesome! I may pick up a few of them!

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    At this point I'm mostly interested in Chewbacca, although the Greedo who's lurking in that guy's office and the huge R2 interest me as well. I like that the videos explain that Han and the other figures are only 18" or so, meaning they'll be to scale. Woot!

I want: Leia, farmboy Luke, C-3PO, Yoda, Hoth Luke/Leia, and a sandtrooper (the only troopers that I have a collection of.)

I wish we could get some prequel characters as well...other than just clones and Maul.

11. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    I wish Chewie came with a blaster or something. The lack of accessory on him is disturbing!

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah I don't get why they didn't give him a bowcaster - that couldn't have cost them that much money to add.

13. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    He just looks so boring without something. Same reason I didn't get any of the other 31" figures last year. I'm glad at least Han has something!

Heck, even a medal to make him ceremony Chewie would be fine!

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I don't have any of the 31" figures either - they came out right when I was unemployed - grrrrr. It looks like maybe they've got a 31" scale R2-D2 coming - I will be all over getting that if it comes out! Other than that I'm happy w/ just getting the 1:4 scale figures. I have all but Darth Maul and Palpatine from the Diamond Select figures of the same scale, I really want more characters that I can help to fill out my displays w/ those figures. These guys by Jakks fit perfectly w/ that line.

15. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    I am sorely tempted to get the recent Jakks 18" (I think) Biker Scout - fantastic figure. I don't have any 12" versions of the character, however, and would prefer to get him in that smaller scale. That being said, I don't want to start collecting these larger figures, since once I start, I probably won't be able to stop....:D

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Haha! I need to get my butt to a store that has them. I want that Chewie.

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I saw that Biker Scout as well and I was a bit confused. Is that a totally different line or did they just scale these down?

The Biker Scout looked pretty good, and I believe he was only $19.95.

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    They've scaled down the figures - but I THINK there are going to still be a few 31" figures coming. Discussion just sort of stayed in this thread as the line evolved.

19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Though the 31" figures are certainly striking due to their sheer size, I think this new scale is likely more practical for kids, collectors and retailers.

20. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Hey everyone - Thanks for the clarification re: the size; I was a bit confused as well - the 18" Biker Scout was standing next to a 31" Darth Vader, and I was wondering why they were two different scales. Obviously, the lower $10 price difference makes the smaller figure more attractive to consumers...

I don't even mind that the laser pistol is molded into the Biker Scout's hand, since the sculpt looks so great. Plus, that way you will never lose the accessory :D

21. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Ended up getting the 18" Biker Scout today @ Target; great toy, and @ $20 a good price. The Scout is my second-favorite Imperial Trooper armor design (the first is the Snowtrooper). Not sure I want to get any of the 31" figures now, since they're a different scale.

May pick up the 18"?! Tie Pilot if I see this anywhere.

I suspect this stuff will be easier to find this Fall, now that the holidays are approaching....

22. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Saw the 18" Tie Pilot in Wal-mart today, but didn't get this - I can't beyond the huge blaster he's holding, which is sculpted into his hand; I know the figure is supposed to have an accessory, but IMHO it would have been better if he had come with a smaller, less intrusive laser pistol (like the 18" Biker Scout). Also, it's interesting to note this figure has "Rebels" packaging...

Also saw the Boba Fett, and didn't get this either. Nice-looking figure, and it comes with the backpack (removable), but no blaster (I guess it can only come with one accessory). In any case, the figure seems incomplete without his iconic blaster....

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Kinda like Chewie w/o his bowcaster. I still want him though.

24. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I keep stumbling across the Biker Scout, but I never see Boba anywhere. Can't believe neither he or Chewie come with weapons [face_plain]

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Fett is undressed without a weapon. I haven't seen any of these other than Vader locally. Someone in a flat up the street from me has the Vader - I've seen it in the window.