main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New 6" Black Series Coming From Hasbro

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Jan 30, 2013.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Good advice Juke! Sadly if you can get back what you paid for figures you're doing well. Those red/green card POTF figures from the early 90s aren't worth squat. So by all means, debox and enjoy!

This was posted on Yakfaceforums showing Jabba's scale to the 3 3/4" figures. Hee hee.

[​IMG]

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_laugh] Death definitely agrees with the big guy. He's never looked better!

3. Sithaldo

Sithaldo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    I should hopefully be receiving a dispatch email today for the next wave being released.:D

I'm in Austin, Texas as of Saturday so won't get to see them until next Friday when I come back to the UK [face_waiting]

4. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Hm, I may open my figures then. I just like the look of them. I set them all up along my wall, along the border of the ceiling. They look pretty cool like that.

5. Sithaldo

Sithaldo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2013

Was wondering where my dispatch notice had got to with the next wave, checked my order and they aren't released until the end of August, not July :_|

Mine are boxed at the moment as I'd due to move into our new house in August sometime, but once we've moved they will be unboxed and displayed. In my opinion they look better unboxed and on display. Plus you can then have a little play with them :D

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Well put; well said. A good analogy to make here is to remember when the POTF2 line was at it's peak from around 1995-1999, my initial impression at the time was that the figures would be worth a lot of $ since they were initially tough to find; ditto for many of the Hasbro 12" figures at around the same time. Also, a lot of these figures were going for insanely high prices at comic/collectible stores at that time, so the perception was that they were worth a lot of $, and were going to continue to go up in price in the future.

However, this started to change in the 200X's. My impression was that a lot of collectors who either had lost interest and/or needed the money AND other folks who picked these up for an investment all started to unload them on E-bay, etc., and with the plethora of product out there, prices went down. In addition to this, back in the early 200X's there was a lot of POTF2 merchandise being unloaded at Kay-Bee, TRU, etc, for great prices, so this added a lot more of these toys into the mix...

Also, I could be wrong about this, but the fact that these are so easy to obtain now may have a lot to do with their low prices. I.e., if you were a collector of older toys (i.e., toys not available at retail anymore) before the Internet, you had two ways to get them: Go to collectible stores/flea markets that sold them, or order them through print ads in the back of catalogs/trade mags. So, based on what I saw at that time, a lot of these toys were way overpriced. Conversely, these days the sky's the limit: Anyone can go out there and sell these online, so there is a LOT more competition & sellers need to price these cheaply enough so that they will be attractive to potential buyers...

So, these days, POTF2 toys are in many cases worth less than what we paid for them @ retail. Personally, I don't mind since I never got them for investment purposes anyway...

Re: the 6" line, the ANH Han/Greedo "Tattoine Showdown" is one of the worst choices for a two-pack I've ever seen in any SW figure line. They're re-packing two figures that are already easily available, and the set they're re-packing these in doesn't even come with any new plastic pieces, just cardboard. WTF?! I would prefer getting the two individual figures....What I would have been interested in were two Cantina characters that had never been made in the 6" line before, not this....

Re: getting the 6" line for investment purposes, I don't see it either. There isn't as much product out there as there was POTF2, but these still seem relatively easy to find. And, I'm not sure how many folks are seriously collecting these anyway (I'm not)....

8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    May I print this off and frame it? I rarely, if ever, hear those words on these boards :p

But your reference to POTF2--and the points made therein--is spot on. There was that initial frenzy that coincided with the rebirth of Star Wars after being more or less dormant for a decade. I remember those Brian's Toys catalogs that had $100+ price tags for variations like short lightsabers in long trays and Boba Fett's with small half circles on their gloves or whatever. Just crazy. But these were destined to come down because you can manufacture new figures, but you can't manufacture nostalgia. That's why people will continue to pay big money for vintage figures of decidedly lesser quality than what for was hot 6 months ago.

A few years ago I wanted to get rid of my prequel stuff--all carded, C-9 condition--and it wasn't even worth my time to list on eBay. No one was buying that stuff. Not even pennies on the dollar. I ended up donating it all to a co-worker's church that Christmas to give to needy children.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    It really does come down to the fact that everything is readily available. I remember scouring antique shops all over California pre-the relaunch of toys. I swear that vintage prices were about what they are now, it wasn't any great bargain to get anything back then because there wasn't a way to easily access or find anything. I go back through my old price guides and prices were really high even back then and they're about the same as current going prices. People can access things easier now thanks to the internet so the prices haven't gone much higher even over 20 years or so.

Everything now is available at your fingertips - just an ebay click away and it's yours. The only things that go up in value are highly limited editions of items...convention exclusives, store exclusives, or lines that are discontinued before they had a chance to get too popular. It's why I debox everything (except the few vintage items that I own that are boxed - that would be lame.) I figure I pick most stuff up cheap enough, I'd recoup whatever I put out for them even if the items are deboxed. In a lot of ways people actually prefer buying things out of package because that takes worrying about the condition of the packaging off of the table entirely.

I agree that the Cantina showdown is stupid and VERY lazy of Hasbro.

We did that w/ a huge inventory of Star Trek TNG figures that we had that we used to sell at doll/toy shows. They weren't making a profit so we just donated them to Toys for Tots, I've never seen people more happy than when we brought giant tubs filled w/ unopened action figures in for them to share w/ needy kids.

10. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Great responses, Juke & Padme.

Though I'm getting OT here, I competely agree that donating toys like this is the way to go. I don't have the time or patience to try to sell these items on E-bay, especially when I won't be making any $ on the transaction(s). So, I end up donating what I don't want/need to a charity, and that way everyone wins: I'm giving these items to a worthy cause that will benefit from the donation(s), and I also don't have to worry about the hassle involved in trying to sell them. I would actually encourage anyone who has some items that they don't want to donate them; as has been said, unless you have something very valuable, you probably won't be making your money back if you try to sell this. For this same reason, I donate unwanted CD's/books/DVD's to my local library...

To touch on another topic just discussed, i.e. boxed vs. unboxed: I also try to take most items out of the package/card, since I just don't have room to keep everything packaged. My younger self thought that having all of these items in the package was the way to go, but my current older & wiser self realizes that they won't be worth any money either way (re: the posts above).

And, reading this thread is reminding me yet again why I'm glad I've cut back on collecting in the past year...A lot of this has been that I haven't been able to find anything I want, and also because a lot of what I can find I'm not into...I've only gotten three TBS 3 3/4 figures so far....

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Smiling kids and a little good cosmic mojo beat a couple of bucks and the headaches associated with selling on eBay any day.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Nice batch of HQ pics of 6" Anakin HERE.

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  14. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    Yeah, I unloaded my whole collection of POTF/POTJ/Prequel figures in the last couple of years.

It wasn't pretty. I think I ended up getting about $3 a figure selling them as lots. Oh well, it was fun collecting them. Used the money to buy the GG busts. :D If I were collecting these new figures, I'd just open them and display them, especially since they're such nice figures in comparison to the ones from 10-15 years ago.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note - if you did order Jabba from Hasbro Toys as PLJ linked above, there are reports on Rebelscum of damaged packaging. You can check out the article and pics here. Probably not an issue if you are going to open the package (unless the figure itself is damaged) but if you want 'mint in box' you might be disappointed.

16. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    My birthday was this past Saturday, (the 9th), and I got a few 6" figures! Greedo, R2, and Darth Maul. Now all I need is the illusion Boba Fett, and I have all the orange box figures! Well, except Anakin and the Clone Trooper obviously.

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The problem seems to be w/ people who ordered more than one - they used giant boxes w/ insufficient packing material to keep them from bouncing around. My one Jabba came in a big box w/ lots of packing material, it was fine.

18. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
  19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Looks like the price has gone up a bit since then. The two hits now list for $50.26.

The standard, non SDCC Jabba retails for $39.99. So figure $43ish with tax. So that's a $7.00 difference. But if you've had trouble finding him, you could spend that difference in gas running around trying to locate one. I guess the question(s) are; 1.) Do you care about the packaging? 2.) Is a $7-8 mark up worth what you'd save running around town trying to find one?

20. Zulithe

Zulithe Jedi Grand Master

Apr 22, 2000
    Just wait for a restock... i think jabba is going to get a lot easier to find in the coming weeks due to his price tag. most of the ultra serious collectors will have gotten theirs already, and a lot of other people simply won't want to pay $40 for him... so he won't be selling out in an instant much longer.

I want a jabba too... but it's hard to justify the high price for such a bare-bones figure.

21. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    I actually found Jabba in person yesterday. He looks good, but he's so freakin boring in that box. I just don't understand the black box treatment that the premium figures have. There's just nothing going on there.

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The other problem w/ Jabba is that there's only currently 2 figures who you can display with him - Leia and Boba Fett (if you can find him - and/or if you were lucky enough to the get the Boba/Han in Carbonite SDCC giftset.) Other than that - if you don't have Boba Fett or either of the SDCC versions of the figures, plain Jabba is going to be boring as hell to display w/ only Leia.

We do know there's a ROTJ Luke coming (no robe) and a Chewbacca coming (no chains) and eventually a C-3PO so at least I guess they could hang out even if they aren't screen accurate. I guess R2 can go there if you're thinking they're on the sail barge and he's helping Leia to escape.

I do think Jabba twists at the waist, so you could probably display him w/ ANH Han Solo by a Falcon to reenact the SE scene with him.

I have the opposite problem - the SDCC version actually HAS a very nice box and as such, I don't want to remove him which now limits his display-ability and the box itself is designed such that I'm going to have to completely reconfigure somewhere in my room to display him. Flapping back the top flap behind the box has now put a giant crease on the top flap that connects w/ the back of the box also, so if I don't want to further mess with that I'll need to display him w/ the box completely open.

Voila - the box. Note, there's no plastic front on it, you have to open up the flaps to get to the figure. (Note crappy paint stains along the top flap.) Upon further investigation I did have one small smudge in my box from shipping but it wasn't that bad, not compared to how other people's sets arrived in shambles. I can see why they couldn't sell this box style at retail. They'd have to cellophane the whole thing and no one is going to buy something that they can't view at the store.

[​IMG]

The giant top section is a lovely big advertisement that does nothing for the display and the front flap caves so it doesn't display very well as a floor. There's a tiny black painted rancor grate that's supposed to get you excited about displaying the front section as a floor - trust me - it doesn't. If they'd bothered to bring the artwork down fully onto the floor that would've been another story, instead it's all black w/ a little smudgy area that's got glossy black paint that's supposed to look like the grate.

[​IMG]

The artwork inside the box is nice - if you can't have a throne - at least the box does OK as a substitute. I really don't understand why they couldn't have just included this part of the box to the standard line versions. I highly doubt the printing of the boxes w/ the throne room scene and the cut out Han Solo costs them an additional $5. (Cardboard Han in Carbonite is on the left wall.)

[​IMG]

Hooka and accessories are nice - it has the full back part of his throne.

[​IMG]

Jabba's eyes can use some gloss - the matte paint looks weird. The eyes are pretty good looking, although they easily could use a bit of retouching to make them more detailed. I like that his mouth is hinged under his blubber so it makes him a more fluid, natural looking figure. His drool should be glossy also.

[​IMG]

I guess Salacious can be posed at least his arms and head move, not sure about his legs.

[​IMG]

The lovely cardboard Han in Carbonite - for the extra $15 they couldn't just included the Han from the Boba/Han set. The big cardboard holder that they built into the box to hold the Han just looks like they were put in there w/ no thought on how they look.

[​IMG]

Leia with the display - she's pretty stiff so you can't do much for displaying her laying down. Her chain also isn't very long to do much good for displaying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall I'm still glad that I got the full version of the figure, even though the awkwardness of the box doesn't overly appeal to me but the artwork and extra accessories make the figure worlds better for displaying and once they come out w/ more figures to go in the scene, that'll help to liven the scene up. The box reminds me a lot of the 3 3/4" Confrontation at Lars homestead display that I bought. It has a similar artwork type background, all of the figures are nicely arranged on the scene and there's a ground area that looks like sand which gives it overall a nice look.

[​IMG]

For that set I yanked it out of the plastic box and display it open - which I really wish that I can do with this set - except upon looking at the box, I don't know if that's possible w/o destroying the whole thing. So again I don't know what I'll do with it, for now it's just sitting all closed up. I really wish the flaps weren't there they'd make things a lot easier on me for displaying this thing. I guess I could cut them off but then that would 100% destroy it's value (not that I'm interested in selling it - but why do that when the one I got is in pretty good shape?)

I still might just have to get a standard version of Jabba so I can rip him out of packaging to satisfy the deboxer in me.

Gamma626 likes this.
  23. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Great pics., Padme - Thanks very much for taking the time to post. I probably won't get the 6" Jabba, but it looks like a great toy.

I have the 12" Sideshow Jabba, and that's amazing too - though I don't have the throne....

24. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Great pictures! I too am not sold on Jabba. If we start getting more Palace figures, than sure, but if we end up not getting to many figures for Jabba's palace than I don't know if I care to buy him. You can't display him in Box because either the SDCC one is to much of a hassle to display, or the regular one looks like a weird bootleg box due to the lack of color and accessories.

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Most of my problems with the figure stem from the packaging - but I'm a deboxer so my views tend to be skewed. Overall I like the figure setup - a lot. I think Jabba himself looks great. They did a wonderful job w/ giving him some extra articulation (like in his hands and jaw) that make him really great. The detailing on him is also wonderful. He's just probably going to be put aside until there are more figures to display with him before he gets unleashed onto my shelves.

Blur - I'm jealous. At the time when Sideshow's Jabba came out I was on a complete collectibles spending freeze and didn't even know it had come out until it was way out of my price range on the secondary market. I always figure that if I manage to get one I'll just make a throne for him, I've got the Salacious set, etc. Those additional polystone pieces that Sideshow does are SOOO HEAVY. I got the Jabba's Palace arch and that thing must weigh 40lbs. It all makes me wish that Hasbro had done a 12" Jabba back when they were doing figures. $100-150 and he would've had his throne and everything. It certainly wouldn't have weighed a ton.

Gamma - I doubt that they're not going to make more figures for Jabba's palace. They do need to work on getting more primary characters made before they can work on the secondary and third level background aliens, etc. In fact, I bet the first Lando we get is of him in his Skiff Guard costume.