main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New 6" Black Series Coming From Hasbro

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Jan 30, 2013.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    When the Sideshow 12" scale Jabba was released years ago, I had no plans on getting this because I also wanted to get the throne & the set with Salacious crumb, etc. (both were sold separately). And, buying everything was prohibitively expensive - IIRC, the throne itself was more than the Jabba! However, I eventually decided to just get the Jabba itself, and not get the throne & the Salacious c. set. And, at the time the cost on the Sideshow website was fairly reasonable.....

The last Sideshow figure I got was Momaw Nadon (Hammerhead), which was shipped in early 2011 - that was an amazing figure, and I'm sure Hasbro wouldn't (or couldn't) have done as great of a job as Sideshow did. That being said, IMHO Sideshow SW 12" (1/6 scale) figures are extremely expensive these days. They have gone up in price exponentially - I remember when I was collecting them (approximately 2008 - 2011), an average 1/6 figure was about $80-90. Now, the same type of figure is about $120-$130...

Too bad, because most of these Sideshow SW figures are spectacular; I also collected the G.I. Joe: ARAH & Indiana Jones Sideshow 1/6 lines for a while, and they came out with some great figures as well...

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I missed the sideshow train. I'd love to have gotten the resident evil figures. Now the cheapest figure is 200! It's insane!

3. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    I hope so! We need quite a few more figures before I'll be happy at even a base level. So many Luke's and troopers already. We have basically nothing from the prequels, and we have HUGE omissions from the OT. A good Leia, Lando, Ben Kenobi, the emperor, and several others, in addition to some hugely overlooked variations such as Homestead Luke and Bespin Han. As much as I'm excited for Bossk, we probably should have gotten some other major characters first.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Blur - and this is why I'm constantly harping that someone out there needs to do a new playline of 12" figures - I'd love for that company to be Jakks Pacific. I love Sideshow's stuff - they've gotten new sculptors on staff who're doing amazing work w/ their figures. But yeah, the prices are *woof* way out there. Put Hot Toys in the mix and their stuff costs 2 to 3 times Sideshows products. It really does quickly help to push people out of the hobby when prices get out of control. Doing that is stupid for the long run - if you start pushing out your casual buyers - you kill off 1/2 of your customer base. If you don't make products that are inexpensive to start with, you miss the opportunity to lure in new collectors.

I like the 6" figures and they are a nice alternative to the higher price larger stuff, but my main love is always 12" scale. I'm more than happy w/ my collection which is an eclectic mix of Hasbro, vintage Kenner, Sideshow, Medicom, Hot Toys, and customs. I don't need the overpriced super detailed figures to make me happy. I really wish I'd picked up Momaw Nadon - he did look like an amazing figure.

Gamma626 - I don't have a problem w/ Bossk - at least he's not a freaking stormtrooper. I do have a problem w/ them over saturating us w/ the same characters over and over. Once they get done w/ all of the Lukes, troopers, and Hans then what? I hate that they are barely dipping into the prequels. All of the new figures announced - none are prequel related. I mean, I like my OT characters, but it's rather boring just seeing them remade over and over again.

5. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Oh yeah, it's been Luke and Trooper overload. I like the Luke love, but just a Stormtrooper would have been fine. Two sand troopers and a Clone are just to much. I'd have swapped X-Wing Luke with Homestead Luke though. There really isn't much to do with X-Wing Luke as far as displays go without an actual x-wing or other Pilots.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Eh I like the X-Wing pilot Luke - he's so far the best Luke, best sculpt, and just a stunning figure. I have a whole shelf of X-Wing pilots - he looks great displayed there with R2 :)

[​IMG]

Speaking of X-Wing Pilots I'm bummed I won Applause 10" Wedge & Stormtrooper Han Solo figures on ebay - really wanted them for a couple of my shelf displays (one being my X-Wing shelf) and they arrived reeking of cigarette smoke [face_shame_on_you] [face_bleh] I need to try my treatment of soaking them in vinegar water to see if it'll clear them up. That solution works for hard plastic but these guys are softer. Then again I paid $3 total - that included shipping so I guess I shouldn't complain about a little elbow grease to get them displayable.

7. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Oh, he really is a great figure! I'd just like to start making some ANH dioramas is all. :)

I wonder if we'll ever get a 6" scale X-Wing! That'd be crazy!

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Humm my gut tells me no, unless it's a SDCC exclusive. Their regular sized ships are expensive as is, I don't know that we'll see ships other than small single person pieces or maybe small speeders.

I'm more excited about the 6" scale monsters/creatures coming. I'd love to get a Dewback (there has to be a reason for all of these freaking sandtroopers, right?) Sandperson & Bantha, the AOTC arena monsters, Obi-Wan and Boga, Han and Mynock, Qui-Gon and Eopie, etc.

I had a revelation a while back, growing up ESB was never my favorite film, in fact it was my least favorite of the trilogy growing up. I could never figure out why it didn't resonate to me like it does to so many other people (even though I loved, loved, LOVE Yoda.) Then it hit me, in comparison to ANH and ROTJ, ESB is greatly lacking in aliens and creatures. Yes, there are Tauntauns, Wompas, mynocks, space slugs, Ugunaughts, and a couple of alien-like bounty hunters - but that's it. Well and Yoda. That's still nothing compared to the crazy menagerie of critters on Tatooine and the Ewoks. I think it's why I love the prequels so much - those films are chocked full of aliens and critters. It's a big reason I'm not sure how I'll feel about the new films, particularly if the directors etc just don't bother w/ that part of the universe. I've always loved the crazy diversity of different species living together across the galaxy. Their main problems w/ each other seem to be political or lawful more than racially charged.

Nutshell - give me more aliens and critters and less bucket heads!

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Heads up for anyone looking to pick up the Walgreens exclusive Prototype Boba Fett. One of the collecting groups I follow on Facebook posted that the original street date that had been floating around (August 27th) has been moved back to either September 3rd or September 10th.

I plan to start checking this week anyway, but at least now I won't get too frustrated if I can't find it. That'll come September 10th :p.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    This was just posted at Yakfaceforums:

DorksideToys has revealed (via pre-orders) listing for new 6″ Black Series figures including Commander Cody, IG-88, 6″ Princess Leia in Boushh Disguise, Obi-Wan Kenobi (ANH?) Plus listings for the TIE Pilot, Clone Trooper Sergeant, and Yoda! Thanks to Flyguy for the 411!

*Sigh More stinkin' clones and as I rather suspected the next Leia we'd get is in Boushh disguise. God forbid they give us one w/ her white dress!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  11. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Maybe the new Leia will display with Jabba better.

I'm pretty tired of the clones, but at least he's a named character. Surprised there's no Jango yet. Old Ben is exciting for me! Very interested in him. IG-88 is cool I guess. Maybe we'll have Dengar too soon.

The real question now, is what the hell is hasbros plan for distribution? Seriously, they've announced so many figures. We have several Star Wars lines currently running, with several more soon to start. (rebels, and episode 7.)

What's hasbros long game?

Very excited, I found a Stormtrooper at my work! Snatched him up on my break.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeah well so now basically by then you'll be able to display 2 Leia's, Boba Fett (if you can get a hold of him,) Han in Carbonite (if you have either SDCC exclusives - one of which is cardboard,) R2-D2, Chewbacca w/o chain, and Jedi Luke w/o robe? What a hodge-podge mess. Give me Skiff Guard Lando instead of another stinking clone, or Ree-Yees, or any of the Palace aliens! Helloo... Bib Fortuna?

I have no idea what they're doing for distribution, other than the only way to guarantee that you can get anything is to pay more and get them online.

13. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Ain't that the truth! I want a land so bad! Any Lando will do!

14. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Boushh disguise? Boooo! We want ANH Leia. Even the medal ceremony Leia would be preferable to Boushh.

As for the Clones, you could see this coming from a parsec away. Now that they have that mold they'll pump out Clones faster than the Kaminoans.

I was at my local Wal-Mart today and they had reset their toy aisle. They had some new stuff, though same old 3 3/4" figures. Buuut they had 6" Black Series figures! None of my local Wal-Marts had had them before. It was remnants of Waves 2 and 3, but it's a start.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Clones are so easy for them to make now that they should add an extra clone as a 5th offering to their boxes, not have it take up 1 of the 4 coveted slots.

I don't do Walmart, but I'm glad to see that they're finally beefing things up. I guess everyone is getting a bigger merchandise push thanks to Rebels coming.

16. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    There were sooo many 3 3/4" Clones released between '02-'13 (Steve Sansweet's 2012 "Star Wars: The Ultimate Action Figure Collection" has a whopping 44 pages dedicated to the various Clone releases) that I hope they don't go down that path here. Especially, as you said, if they take up one of the four slots per wave.

17. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    As someone who loved the clones...

Please no more clones.

18. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I've seen a number of people in the collecting groups I follow show up in my Facebook feed post that they've found the Walgreens Exclusive Concept Fett. I even saw someone who had found Vader and Chewy! Needless to say I drove right over to my local Walgreens. Unfortunately they didn't have squat. They do have the Game of Thrones figures if anyone is collecting them.

19. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Yep, it's mostly west coast that has it. All of wave 5 and Fett can be found at wal-greens!

I called my local walgreens today! They had three figures in stock!

I drove there. Those gangly, ugly 12" Hasbro 10 dollar figures. >.<

20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Lol! Yeah, I saw a post where someone went to their local Walgreens and there were some employees stocking so they asked if they had gotten in any new Star Wars figures and they were like "Yeah! We just got some in.". Ten minutes later they came out with a case of those cheapo 12" figures.

It always seems like new stuff hits the west coast first and makes its way East. The fact that the Concept Fett seems to be shipping with Wave 5 has me more determined than ever to find him!

21. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Yup, Wave five is out there now! Lots of Chewies and Luke's and Vaders! Not as many new Sandtroopers, but it could be just that people want to get Vader first. The Vader helmet looks much better than people seemed to fear. Jedi luke looks greg as well. I wish he had a cloak or something though. Chewie looks great, but he's a little thin. I also get really distracted by his toes. Could you see them in the movie before?

22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Wave 5 is the first wave where I intend to buy all four figures. I hope Hasbro realizes how insanely stacked this wave is and ships accordingly.

I don't seem to recall being able to see Chewie's toes that well, if at all. It seems like they're mostly obscured by tuffets of fur.

23. Sithaldo

Sithaldo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    Well my order was meant to dispatch on the 31st, but has been put back until the 30th of this month now. I want my figures:_|

24. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    That's what I thought! Man, the weird toes he has on the figure creep me out!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I hit a Walgreens this evening - they had nothing.