main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New AC members

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jay, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    To be honest, we had a bunch of fancy name-tags and gold plaques all written up and drawn out to give you new AC members...but then we found a large stock of partially stained white t-shirts at some garage sell. One thing led to another and thus, you have your AC shirts!

Congratulations to all of the new Advisory Council members!

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Man, you guys have the best perks. ;)

Congratulations! :D

3. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Now Genghis, just remember it was me who got you to the top ;)

4. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Hey, guys, you all need to liven the AC up!!!

//goes to dig up scandal ;)

5. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I've been here since September '98, so it's about time I get some recognition for my efforts! ;)

Anyway, it's an honor to get this position, and I'll try to do what I can to help make the JC a better place.

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Congrats :)

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I'm drawing a blank here. What's the AC?

8. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    :eek:

Advisory Council. They had one back in UBB, maybe you remeber. Otherwise, go back and find Bane's post.

¤Night

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    its a great place, we trade tips on fly fishing, just the other day i was in a bit of a pickle, you see, the alaskan mountain salmonfish is a frisky fellow, and my "kit" just wasn't up to scratch, anyway, to cut a long story short, now it is,thanks guys

10. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
  11. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Congrats to the new guys, and I hope you'll do a good job! :)

(Wonders if there will be any change to the format of the weekly updates presentation...)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I'm confident we have made the right choices for the new members of the AC. They'll do a great job - er, just like the last sorry bunch ;)

It's been an honour to be involved!

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Thanks to all who've taken an interest in the AC. For those who don't really know me, I spend most of my time here in Lit. where for whatever reason all my posts seemingly gravitate towards threads about measured lengths of the Executer, canon, and how "timothy zhan makes teh baby Jebus cry."

I can be seen posting in random threads in YJJC. I have a "And Someone Thought This Was Innocent..." series of threads which generally get locked due to the subject matter. Although I'm quite certain I've helped LPGA gain some new fans. I've won some of the YJJC games, which are a lot of fun. I am a not-too gonzo contributer to the movie forums, where I can be found discussing such important issues as how Vader took a dive in ROTJ and the finer points of shaak riding in AotC.

I'm happy to have the opportunity to serve this community.

14. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Genghis is my hero 8-}

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    :p We've been working on 'Dude to raise his standards. Honest we have.

16. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Lol, that's so cute! ;)

17. Darkside_Spirit

Darkside_Spirit Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2001
    In order to gain legitimacy, the Advisory Council members have to be elected. The motive--to have a group of regular members who hold the administration to account--is all well and good, but appointment and removal by the administrators themselves defeats the entire purpose.

How about nomination by the admins and ratification by board vote? Kinda like the Supreme Court ;)

18. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Actually, no member of the administration had any say in the final outcome of the new AC member choices. We did give suggestions on how it should happen, but the decision on the process and final choices were all made by the current AC members.

19. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Darkside, the new AC members were nominated, voted for, and chosen by AC members ONLY.

Any completely public elections result in popularity contests ONLY. We wanted to make sure we got the best people for the job, regardless of popularity. We are confident we did.

20. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Luckily, they picked me --

Most.Popular.Guy.Ever

AYBABTU?

21. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    My 15 minutes of fame are *gulp* over...

-Kid who eats worms

22. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well i can't say i am too comfortable with the idea of elections for AC reps, on the other hand i do love democracy.....

its such a hard line here on message boards, i mean, how much democracy is enough, and how can it be done in a safe, fair way, and what is the result intended?

the AC is purely an advisory panal, sorta like the toothless consultative parliaments of the middle east today, and say the Imperial Russian Duma. everything important gets done by the executive, but the people need to be kept sweet by throwing them a bone here or there. thing about those parliaments is that the parliament only ever represents the important people, that is those who give a stuff or are rich, now on the net its not money, its popularity, and the people who give a stuff about these boards, or at least like to talk about are in here, communications.

and if you look at the members of the AC to date you can see that it is exactly the above types of people that are on the AC. people who have made a name for themselves, or people who gravitate towards communications

now you have to ask yourself, need an advisory body have elections? elections for what? elections to allow certain people to talk to others about stuff that is considered worthy for them to talk about?
    is the process, that is, the idea of democracy more important than the AC doing its role of advising? i am not sure, i personally could go either way here, sure i like the idea of democracy, but i am not really sure how exactly we would do it here, or if it would help the AC in its percieved role

23. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I would have to agree with Brother Humble. The role the AC plays is more important than the process of choosing those who play the role.

As one of the former AC members who had a say in choosing the new temporary membership I would say that we have chosen the right people at this time to represent the JC as a whole. This was done by the AC not the Administration.

Believe wme hen I say there was a lot of discussion about prospective ACers and there appointment wasn't taken lightly.

There can be some very effective assemblies and bodies that remain unelected that are guardians of the people because they are not restricted by the whim of the electorate or public opinion.

24. Tellesto

Dec 7, 1999
    is the process, that is, the idea of democracy more important than the AC doing its role of advising?

No, never.

The Advisory Council went through a lengthy and in-depth discussion when the time came for us to nominate new members of the Council. In fact, we even had Nathan looking up past deeds or "bans" the listed members had gone through, just to make sure we weren't electing a troublemaker.

When you get right down to it, there should only be one requirement for an Advisory Council Rep to have: Do they want to better the Jedi Council?

Although Humble is right in that we do tend to favor those two groups of people, we favor them because they meet that requirement. Humble was elected because he had a voice on matters in Communications, but a "respected" and "intelligent" voice. Bickering and "this sucks" comments are what drove us away from some members, we really just selected members whom we thought had been around for a little while and understood the politics (laws) of the forums.

But beyond that we didn't give our election proccess much thought or a specific set of rules. It was simply a matter of "who wants to do some good in the world?"
    My suggestion to future AC members on this matter is to never let the election get in the way of the job: bettering the JC and member/mod relations.

25. Darkside_Spirit

Darkside_Spirit Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2001
    If the AC representatives are supposed to represent us, they have to be accountable to us--and that means elected. Appointment by the administrators defeats the entire purpose. Nor is selection by the previous members any better. The first lot of members were appointed by the admins, so indirectly all of them will be. And the AC choosing its own members will turn it into a self-perpetuating clique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.