main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series New animated series CONFIRMED Fall 2014: Star Wars Rebels!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by rezpen, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    And epic journeys to KFC.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not so sure about that. The ST should be at least 30 years after the OT and if the series starts close to the end of ROTS then that's a 50 year gap. That's just too much time.

themetresgained likes this.
  3. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I've known plenty of teenagers who were more mature than adults.

As for her skills, honestly, I think it's just a part of the way TCW is stylized. Do Cad Bane's superhuman reflexes also bother you? Anyway, for me, it just ups the ante for action, in a stylized way similar to Kurosawa films. Since the Force is a heavily-explored thing in Star Wars, not just an abstract concept of Qi, I think there's every reason to exaggerate what it can do. I'm not saying you're wrong for liking realism, but I'm saying you don't know what you're asking for when you ask a creative team to be so bound to it. It has other baggage; where's the definitive line? If you could outline the specific way that everything should line up so that it's all equally stylized, power levels are determined and grow totally naturally, and the show is still entertaining to a mass audience, I'd like to see that in writing. Not just what needs to be changed (anybody can nitpick), but how it should have been from the beginning.

And if you expressed that you simply weren't a fan of something, that would be one thing... but you and me both know that's an exaggeration of your diplomatic intent. I don't care if you think differently than I do; I respond to the specific words you say, and if you're making concrete statements about THE way it is, I'm gonna reply in kind (though in this case, you're responding to what I said to someone else entirely).

You know you tend to phrase things in an inflammatory way, right? You have passionate opinions; there's nothing wrong with it, but just deal with the response it inevitably evokes, and stop attacking the structure of my responses so we can actually talk about the content.

4. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    I like this idea. A good era to cover. But please NO Starkiller!

I suspect as well we will see battles against the Empire. Maybe not major space battles like we were getting in TCW, but at least skirmishes. So, I think maybe the opening crawl from ANH will be retconned a bit. I can live with that. In this case it can be a necessity.

5. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Dat sexy Rebels tag.

6. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Rebel scum!

A little impossible to see all the dark and evil stuff by the Empire be shown from a stupid softy like Disney!

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ever watch the Disney version of Hunchback of Notre Dame? That was dark as heck for Disney.

8. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    But unlike the Victor Hugo novel it borrowed from (which BTW was far darker in scope, i.e. necrophilia, etc.), it had a happy, "Disney" ending. We'll have to see how Disney treats the time period before we render any judgment, however.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It was lighter than the original novel but pretty ballsy for Disney even though it had a happy ending.

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Oh come on how much effort does it take to be more mature or wise then Anakin. Anakin is prone to outburst of rage and got played easily by Palpatine.

11. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    More likely we will see stuff that might tie into the stand alone movie(s) written by Kinberg that take place during the Dark Times (young Han Solo).

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    A young Han Solo would tie into the OT, not the ST.

13. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    No, it would tie into the Dark Times, the era between the PT and the OT. An area likely to be explored in stand alone movies featuring young Han Solo (or a Boba Fett movie). I had assumed it more likely that Kasdan would be writing the Han Solo movie, but the fact that Kinberg is assuming the Lucas title of Exec Producer (and writing the pilot) on this show makes me think he may be being given an oversight role for any projects in this era. Just trying to read the tea leaves here.

14. Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2013
    Color me a skeptic. I don't mean to seem the Debbie Downer, but personally I'm very afraid the Empire will be portrayed as idiotic cartoon villains, bumbling and fumbling and generally getting their tails whipped repeatedly on all fronts. After what happened to the CIS in TCW, I don't think this fear is unjustified.

15. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    How does that make any sense? They are in power for that 20 year period. If they were actually losing during this time period than there would be no need for the Rebel Alliance that defeated the Empire in the Original films.

16. Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2013
    And the Separatists were supposed to be some gigantic juggernaut that seriously contested the Republic's control of the galaxy, and yet in TCW we see a bunch of uninspired, pointlessly evil morons who lose to the Republic at every turn. So no, it doesn't make sense. That's why I'm worried about it.

SithLord_1270 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And why should Ahsoka, who is his Padawan and a child, be shown to be better than that? I can only think of two reasons: one, to undermine every other character in the show, including Anakin, and two, because she's Filoni's pet.

If the show had given some logical reason for her sudden Super Mature Super Brilliant Super Specialness after seasons one and two, I could have bought it, but the show didn't, and I'm not willing to buy that "maybe the war did it to her". One, war is usually psychologically damaging to child soldiers, it doesn't usually make them into these Little People More Mature Than The Adults Around Them Whom Everyone Is Now Supposed To Admire. Two, Ahsoka wasn't the only one involved in that war, and the other main characters didn't see personality change of any significance.

I've seen the argument that Ahsoka is as skilled as she is because she's Anakin's Padawan, which would make some sense if she weren't always upstaging him.

"Because Filoni and Co. wanted to do it" is the only explanation that covers the Mary Sue-ing of her character, and it's not a good enough explanation for me

KilroyMcFadden and eht13 like this.
  18. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Becomes an Imperial Moff, governing the Chommell Sector.

Finds out Vader was with Padme right before her death, comes to the conclusion he must have killed her, hunts down and tries to assassinate Vader but gets killed himself instead.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah, Coruscant Nights already got retconned. That was one of the retcons that I liked.

20. Lawrence Futol

Lawrence Futol Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    A Debbie Downer?! In these forums? Greg Weisman always has his villains be one if not five steps ahead of the heroes on his shows. This is the guy who created the character the "Xanatos Gambit" is named after.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Who cares, all i want is more star wars animation and at least were getting more. After what happened to the clone wars this is great news.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  22. Lawrence Futol

Lawrence Futol Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    She wasn't a little child, she was a young adult about 14, not an eight year old and war does mature you. The fact that the others were adults is also why they didn't change that much.

If Ahsoka was the opposite and not very skilled and a lesser Jedi people would hate her for that.

23. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Okay, and do you realize how lame that would be to explain?

"Oh yea guys, you remember that guy who piloted that ship in Episode I? Well he's an Imperial Moff LULZ."

"And that guy who had the eyepatch that kinda flew the ship in Episode II and III, well he had a secret thing for Padme and Darth Vader killed him."

There's no reason to really include them, they weren't important characters in the first place.

24. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I remember reading years ago about a guy in WWII who lied about his age to join the RAF. He was 14 or 15.

His actual age was only discovered when they went to award him some decoration several months down the line - by which point he was an ace and a squadron commander.

They took him out of active service.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

LOL, in no way do I consider a 14-year-old a "young adult." Fourteen year olds are children, period. When a 14-year-old can vote in national elections in a first-world country, sign a legal contract, have sex with an adult without it being considered "statutory rape" (again, in a first-world country), and get married in any state in the United States outside South Carolina, we'll discuss using "14-year-old" and "adult" in the same sentence.

Setting aside chronological age because I'll countdown to "GFFA adulthood and Earth adulthood are not the same" in 3...2...1...

Ahsoka was a Jedi Padawan. Obi-Wan was a Padawan until age 25, and no way in hell would he have gotten away with some of the crap Ahsoka pulled in episodes such as The Citadel, nor would he have been given missions on his own in his teens either.

And do you really see no grey area between "not very skilled" and "overpowering all the other characters with her Teh Awesomeness"? There actually was some in the first two seasons. Ahsoka was skilled, but she also got cocky and defiant and made mistakes...and was punished for it instead of being patted on the back and having Plo cover her ass. The latter seasons ruined that.

K'Kruhk and TreborSabreon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.