main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series New animated series CONFIRMED Fall 2014: Star Wars Rebels!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by rezpen, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    phatdude1138: I'm actually interested in seeing what Filoni can do without Lucas, and with Weisman and Kinberg working with him.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Lucas' influence will always be felt within SW, even long after his death.

I'm hoping for the exact opposite. I hope this show is more serialised and has a more focused storyline that follows through the seasons.

3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Countdown to 30-year-old Ahsoka in three... two... one...

4. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    And she'd be officially US-legal now. Think of the possibilities! ;)

5. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    This should prove interesting. However, I hope they stay away from main characters such as Obi-Wan, Vader, and just leave Ahsoka completely out of it.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, that didn't take long. Out with the clones and in with the rebels in a span of a few months.

Sitara likes this.
  7. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
  8. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    TCW was setting up this type of action. See webdoc below:

In this installment of StarWars.com's original commentary series, Clone Wars Download, The Clone Wars supervising director Dave Filoni talks about the origins of the Rebel Alliance and specific connections to the Star Wars films found in "Front Runners."

http://starwars.com/watch/front-runners-featurette.html

9. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    At least there'd be one less reason for people to complain about her attire.

07jonesj likes this.
  10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I also find it funny that Rebels is most likely what the LAS ended up as.

11. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    1) But remember the actual meaning of "layoff..." It technically refers to firing someone with enough finality that they could stay fired, but with the slight chance of re-hiring. They probably laid people off because they weren't at the animation phase yet. Besides, I think it's the supervisors who make the real difference, and with them back onboard, I doubt the layoff will matter too much.

2) "The Clone Wars" sounds an awful lot like it only has to do with the war itself... but we see how flexible that turned out to be. Disney's move to capitalize on the larger concept of the Rebellion probably has little effect on what Filoni and crew will actually be allowed to explore...

3) The period directly between the trilogies is absolutely the most unexplored period of the current timeline. Just look at about 14BBY to 6BBY or so on the timeline... it's pretty much just the young Han books, and a few details from backstories of Imperial officers and such, and that's it. Yes, there's the Dark Times comics and books directly after Order 66, and there's Dark Forces and TFU and all that stuff leading up to ANH, but that middle point at about 10 BBY is empty.

12. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Definitely glad to have this announcement I was hoping they'd tell us something sooner rather than later.

Of course, focusing on the rebel alliance, they're almost certain to bring in a number of established characters, but as some others have said, hopefully most of them will take a back seat to more original characters and stories. I also think it's a great way to maybe resolve some outstanding story lines that they may not have otherwise gotten to in TCW.

Will Ahsoka be in it? Well, it's Dave Filoni, so I at least expect a one episode or one arc cameo at the least. I don't think I'd want her to be main character though, not at all. Her story has been told for the most part, I think. I wouldn't mind a follow up on what happened after, but it shouldn't be a main focus.

All in all, good to know we're going to have things to talk about in this forum for quite a long time to come.

13. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    I hope this series manages to capture the tone of the films a bit better than TCW. Meaning it's enjoyable for all ages and not very kid-focused like TCW. The involvement of Greg Weisman is encouraging. I didn't like Young Justice that much but Spectacular Spider-man was amazing. I'd rather this series keeps the ties to TCW to a minimum. This is a new era ripe with potential for new characters and stories. It shouldn't feel like the sequel to TCW.

14. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Also, as for the comments about hoping which character gets exluded, etc etc...

You gotta remember, the show is made for a wider audience than just you (whoever "you" might be in this case). That's no reason to fault a series. Personally, I'm happy for whatever decisions they make which bring more fans into the fold, because that assures the show is a long-term success that won't fall prey to the situation which befell TCW.

For the betterment of the series' continuity, I think that parts should definitely feel like a sequel to TCW, because TCW was not complete. Whether you cared for TCW or not, having an such a major story remain incomplete is a failure for the entire franchise. It should be its own thing, yes, but if you set aside your own opinion on TCW, I think it's pretty obvious that the right thing to do is take the opportunity to tie up TCW's loose ends, then let it form its own identity. That's how all the best shows work: they have a simple goal in the beginning, and the real identity of the show presents itself along the way.

For instance, Maul as an Emperor's Hand in the Jedi purge would be perfect. Whether you love the Maul resurrection or hate it, it's a part of the story now, and that needs an ending. What is space-opera-fantasy-nerdery without completism?

15. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    [​IMG]

Ahem.

16. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    That's a failure of TCW. It's not this show's job to pick up the story threads TCW left open (I know it's not their fault but such is life). It's better for this show to strike out on it's own than finish plot threads from a completely different show out of a sense of obligation. Think of it from the perspective of a new viewer, which this show will certainly be trying to attract. "Darth Maul's alive? huh? Who's this Ashoka chick?"

I'm not saying there shouldn't be references or cameos, that's all cool and rewarding to fans but it definitely should not straight up pick up where TCW left off. Disney will want this show to be accessible and incorporating plots from a different show won't accomplish that. I think you need to set your opinion of TCW aside as well in this case.

17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I agree but it would be pretty easy for a new show to establish these plot points.

Hell, TCW didn't explain how Darth Maul was alive, so he could just appear in Rebels, no explanation needed. :p

This show should have it's own identity, but having Cad Bane or Ventress appear wouldn't be difficult.

18. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Yes, they can reuse the grown up Ahsoka model and save a few bucks in the process.

*sigh* Not sure if I'm happy now or not.
    Let's say I'm not happy yet - the "Rebels" title made me cringe because I have absolutely no love for the Rebel Alliance - , but I'll wait with the fainting from either horror or joy until there's more info out.

19. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    It will be interesting when exactly during this era they start the show off at. Will they start it right after Ep. III or start towards the middle of this time period. Also as everyone knows there is a much larger gap in time during this era than there was between Ep. II and III (they can't have three seasons take up a single year within the star wars universe when the Dark Times era takes up twenty years within the Star Wars universe) so it will be interesting how they do the timeline for this show.

Will there be several years inbetween each season with their being a major event take place at the end of each season.

07jonesj likes this.
  20. Zeltron

Zeltron Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2013
    Long time lurker, had to sign up with this news, so hello...

I agree we're guaranteed to see Ahsoka, although I can't think of a better way to show the mood of the era than Vader hunting and killing her at the climax of the first episode.

I'm a bit of a continuity nerd, so I'm hoping this focuses on small bands resisting the new order, rather than the start of the Alliance. While I'd love to see Bel Iblis, etc. here's hoping it doesn't conflict with TFU or involve Ackbar too early, etc.

I'm interested to see how a cartoon handles all the violence when 90% of it isn't directed at droids. I'm hoping for more individual Jedi purges than large space battles, though.

Lovelovelove using the McQuarrie influence, but silly Filoni, you can't just "make up" the number of panels on a TIE. [face_worried]

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I prefer if they would finish bridging the gap between II and III first but nope Disney had to cancel it, leaving a lot of plot holes opened

22. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I'd imagine they will show how the Rebel Alliance eventually got formed and like somebody else said earlier there very likely was other rebellions that failed before the one we saw in ANH. The Alliance in ANH wouldn't have been able to survive for twenty years without any success.

23. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    There very likely is a good chance they will conclude the TCW story arcs through flashbacks etc...

24. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Would the show have the guts to show us Stormtrooper Rex?

Heck, following some stormtroopers for a couple of episodes might introduce some nice moral ambiguity.

TreborSabreon and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    You can bet they'll have Dee Baker Bradley voicing every Stormtrooper. I could easily see some as Stormtroopers while others are rebels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.