main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series New animated series CONFIRMED Fall 2014: Star Wars Rebels!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by rezpen, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Having the series take place between episodes 3 and 4 can mean only one thing . . . More Cad Bane!!!

InterestingLurker likes this.
  2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    You read my mind. I wouldn't expect the show to be a slave to the novel, or vice-versa, but I think maybe it would be cool to see some shared elements touched upon.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Disney + Darth Vader Cartoon = CA$H.
    Vader_takes_Hoth.jpg
    Just sayin.​

4. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Indeed if he is going to be sitting on Tatooine I don't see how to connect him to the plot. Unless Ashoka shows up to ask him so questions and beg for help but that is more a cameo role then a regular role.

I assume Ashoka is going to be lead assuming this is set early Dark Times can team her up with Lux, Saw, Ventress, Bo Katan, etc. I wonder how much focus time Darth Vader is going to get and by that I mean is he going to be lead or just the main villain the heroes encounter

5. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well he is meant to be on Tatooine for 20 years watching over young Luke. He's meant to be in hiding.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Call me "cautiously optimistic" as well.

I like the idea of a Dark Times show. A lot, actually. It's an era that hasn't been dealt with much in the EU and has a lot of potential, and as Garth said, there isn't as much potential to stomp canon as there was with TCW.

Although they might use Garm Bel Iblis...to blow up a Rebel base and "betray" Mon Mothma to make a statement that the Alliance is corrupt and ineffective...

As much as I hated Vader in ANH and ESB, I think his story at the height of power needs to be told, with his relationships with Tarkin and Palpatine. I would also like to see a fledgling Rebellion getting their David-and-Goliath **** together to fight the Empire, with Bail and Mon Mothma working undercover and putting themselves in danger for what was essentially treason.

No Ahsoka. For ****'s sake, PLEASE. I know that's a long shot if Filoni has any power at all here. (I'm glad I can't see that video of his office in my phone, I'm afraid I'd throw up.)

Kenobi would be awesome, maybe communicating with Yoda on Dagobah about Luke.

eht13 and TreborSabreon like this.
  7. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I'd love to see Ventress and Bo-Katan showing up for sure! Tie-ins to the galactic Underworld and to Mandalore would be great.

Hopefully Vader is used sparingly in encounters with the heroes. If he shows up to confront them too often (and they keep escaping his clutches), then he begins to lose his mystique and menace. That's a big no-no.

8. Brian Coralian

Brian Coralian Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2013
    I fully concur with all the excitement for the previously-mentioned, (potentially)-returning characters. There's someone I think nobody has mentioned yet, that could be a major player in this timeframe. A mentor of sorts whose influence on a young Luke Skywalker was an important plot-point in ANH. Biggs! It could be fun to learn more about Biggs...follow his journey from the Imperial Academy to the Rebellion. It would tie us to Luke, spiritually-speaking, without having to develop plot contrivances to actually INCLUDE Luke.

9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    He's writing the 1 hour season premiere. Fall 2014 seems almost as far off as Summer 2015.

10. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I have to wonder if the show can make it past a second season, seeing as how networks nowadays are rather trigger happy and many animated series have been killed off rather early on.

11. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Indeed u don't want Vader being incompetent and underpowered like Grevious that was embarrassing to watch.

I forgot to mention characters like Bail and Mon but honestly those types of characters are more in a jedi council role, I don't expect to see them in combat scenes, they are even less likely then the council members to get very many of those.

Hmm yeah action oriented cartoons have a tougher road these days. Comedy cartoons are where its at because they are cheap and have loose continuity. But I am not really worried about this show getting axed.

AkashKedavra_93 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm not so certain about Simon Kinberg. I didn't realize he co-directed Jumper and he doesn't seem to have any past experience with any animation. Its a good thing he worked on X-Men First Class. Greg Weismen and Dave Filoni together however is just too exciting. I can't get over it. This is the potential to be a good spiritual successor to TCW. It will be interesting to see what the animation looks like. Will it look like TCW or go its own direction. I wonder who will do the sound. Lets team Kevin Kiner with Brian Tyler and pepper in some John Williams for the sountrack, that'd kick ass!

I hope we follow a cast of OCs and if Ahsoka does appear she is a background item. I'm not sure about Kenobi being active. I hope to never see Saw again on screen although Lux could be cool as a bumbling sort of hero. Naturally I'm cool with Rex or Fives being in the cast, lol. It'll be interesting to see the empire rising and the beginning of the rebels. I'm going to miss the Clone Wars still however and War. It sounds like this would be more of an adventure type format which is what Weisman is good at. This is painfully far off..

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  13. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I guess "spiritual successor" is a better term than sequel, as I didn't say it should pick up where TCW left off. However, that's inevitable, in a sense; TCW did cover the stories of many very major characters. They can't help but pick up where it left off, if they use any prequel-era characters at all, because that's where those characters' stories left off (with ROTS as well, of course).

Anyway, a franchise is a franchise. They have to look at it as a whole, which means that they have a responsibility to tie up the loose ends. I'd remind you of a little thing called "exposition." You use the simplest, most direct dialogue, often spoken to a newly-introduced "audience proxy" character to explain something that new viewers might not get. That's all it takes to explain what needs to be explained. And so I suppose I disagree with you entirely; it's the job of a series to tie up the loose ends left by other entries in that series. If these were original creations, you'd be right, but this is the whole point of them being parts of a larger SW universe. If they don't connect, the stories aren't doing their jobs. I'm not talking about "What happened to the Zillo Beast after Palpatine's throwaway homage line about cloning it," or "What happened to a clone who obviously just kept on being a clone in the Empire," but actual loose ends, like the state of Maul and Mandalore, and a less heavily-compressed goodbye for Ahsoka.

So I'm not speaking as a TCW fan; I'm speaking as a Star Wars fan. If we asked them to ignore this but not that and use this character but not that character, then all we amount to is a bunch of whiny kids asking for what I and only I want. The greater good of the series depends upon complete stories being told.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I will be shocked if Ashoka does not show up in this series.

15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    See, Bel Iblis is a perfect example of what I'm getting at when I say we already have some of the major players surrounding the establishment of the Rebellion to make full use of. Between these, and the original characters which will be introduced, I think there should be more than enough resources to avoid the need to shoe-horn any TCW characters into the type of role they were never meant for.

I use Ahsoka as an example, if only because she is a surviving original star of the previous show (and seemingly a favorite of the show's director). I think Tano could be valuable as a supporting character in Rebels and I can see her having an important role in the lives of the people she surrounds herself with, in whatever life she chooses for herself after leaving the Jedi Order. That said, when watching A New Hope, one of the few things we do know about the 'Dark Times' is that the Jedi (and Force users, generally speaking) are considered a thing of the past, and it doesn't matter if you love Ahsoka, or hate her, having her appear as a major factor in the creation of the Alliance, particularly anywhere near the time of Episode IV, could put us in serious jeopardy of invalidating this basic truth of the Star Wars mythos.

The role Galen Marek was shown to have played in the rebellion was too much for some folks because of this, and he had nowhere near the visibility of an Ahsoka Tano at the time. I can see how the manner in which Filoni and co. decide to play this could wind up being very important to the success of the show. Just be smart about the characters you decide to use and the positions you choose to put them in, all while paying heed to what has come before. That's all I really ask.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

17. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Oh yeah that reminds me no Galen Marek whatsoever. I hate Starkiller with a burning passion.

Sitara and SithStarSlayer like this.
  18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    You know we can't have a rebel alliance without the one man who started it all.

Sitara likes this.
  19. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Besides, whoever they use or don't use... they're all just characters. They're not real people. All that matters is how they're written, what purpose they serve, how well-acted they are. They're not, like, dictators who need to be deposed. :p

I will never understand this whole thing of talking about characters as if they're somebody from a different clique in highschool. They're all part of the same big... yunno... thing.

20. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah I call B* on that. Him being both the most powerful thing ever and starting the Alliance were two massive retcons. I can take one but both, no thanks. Boot those games right out of canon.

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This news made my day.

22. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    They should probably try to keep EU Mary Sues & Gary Stus out of the new series.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Some of these responses have made mine, lemme tell you.:p

24. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    You need to remember that there is twenty years inbetween the time of Ep. IV and the potential start of this show. I agree that if Ahsoka had a large part to do with the rebellion just prior to Ep. IV then that would run the risk of not matching up with the movies. But Ahsoka could be a part of 'a rebellion group' just a couple years after Ep. III and there wouldn't be any worry of it interferring with Leia's rebellion. Remember there isn't anything that states that the Rebellion in the OT was the very first Rebellion there was. There possibly could have been rebellion groups throughout the entire twenty years. They all could have had some success and failures and that eventually evolved into the rebellion in Ep. IV.

25. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    I think he is the worst Gary Stu in recent memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.