main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series New animated series CONFIRMED Fall 2014: Star Wars Rebels!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by rezpen, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    It's standard presidure, just look at Warner Brothers. They wil cancel a Batman show in favor of another (most recently "Brave and the bold" was canceled in favor of "Beware the Batman") Or too keep it in Star Wars, SWG was cancelled in favor for SWTOR

TreborSabreon likes this.
  2. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm gonna go ahead be "That Guy"

1. A rebel series? Really? Oh come on. There are so many other eras and characters more worthy of a cartoon. Plus we all know the Rebels won, AND they were the focus of the old movies. Let's try something new.
    2. Greg Weisman being on board could be hype buuut
    3. Dave Filoni - Hello, Ahsoka shoehorning!

3. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    This is exciting to say the least. I am really excited at the collaborators, this sounds like some seriously good stuff (I loved "X-Men: First Class"). Dave Filono is an excellent animator and I'm glad he's sticking around.

I love Ahsoka as a character but she should be in the supporting cast, visible but not overshadowing.

Starkiller, while I enjoyed "The Force Unleashed", just no. His Force powers are worse than Mace on Dantooine in "Clone Wars", and that was Mace Freakin' Windu. Also the idea of one man starting the Alliance never gelled with me. I would much rather have a nature, complicated process that is the underdog and suffers enormously, but eventually succeeds. The story is much more heavy and nuanced that way. It also makes the politics a lot more exciting.

They need to find a newer Palpatine.

I demand The Emperor's Hands and the continuation of the Jedi Purge. Also, Vader's Fist.

This show needs to pick up Maul/Talzin. Too big of an open plot there.

I LOVED the animation style of "The Clone Wars". That needs to be continued.

The construction of the Death Star.

Alderaan please.

I'll think of more but I'm really excited. Even though Autumn 2014 is a whole away.

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Maul or Rhett?

Which one makes it in?

Or will both?

And if we don't see Das Jennir and my boy, Quin... I will grab my galaxy gun.

5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    1. That's pretty much a matter of preference, so how could anyone possibly converse with you on this topic? Plus we all know a much wider audience of people loves Rebels, and a wider audience means we get more Star Wars.
    2. OK...?
    3. How is it shoehorning when she's a lead character?! Was it shoehorning when Lando showed up in Return of the Jedi? Now, I know that's an extreme example, and the imaginary aspergerian debate captain on my shoulder tells me that someone will refute that with "BUT THAT'S DIFFERENT BECAUSE MOVIE CHARACTER," but at least get my point. At this juncture, she's become one of the leads in TCW, and they planted plenty of seeds of her developing an independent form of idealism which she became passionate about. There's plenty of precedent for the fact that she wouldn't just lie dormant in the Imperial era, and would join a rebel unit, like... oh, I dunno... the one she helped form on Onderon with her baby daddy? Oh, wait... Reclamation was fake... 8-}

EDIT: I'm not lobbying for her to be a lead character; I don't like her any more than any other character. But I think it's silly to say that she should just be ignored.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  6. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I don't see how there are so many eras more worthy,the Dark Times era hasn't been touched.

-PT era has been done to death.
    -post-ROTJ has been around for 30 years,
    -the Old Republic era has been explored.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So will I but hey, a girl can dream...

8. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Lol, remember they would probably have to think of something to do with Jar Jar. He was still alive at the end of Ep. III. Even though they wouldn't give him much screen time at all I would bet they would try to explain what happened to him inbetween III and IV.

9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    So it looks like the rumors prove to be true. The time period does excite me, although it saddens me that this basically confirms (what we all knew) that we won't be getting the LAS. I think the time period would be better served in a live action medium, but I remain cautiously optimistic with this new show. A couple of thoughts:

-Do you think the 40, 50 something scripts for the LAS will be re-purposed for this new show?
    -The name "Star Wars: Rebels" doesn't really excite me too much, but I totally understand why it was chosen
    -Hopefully the EU won't be affected too much by the show, since most of the time line remains barren, as it's been off limits by Lucasfilm (for a future project of this nature)
    -We don't know where specifically the show will take place, but I think it's almost a given it will be a spiritual continuation of TCW, with a few characters (especially one, specific former padawan) appearing
    -In terms of animation style, I think it's also a given they will continue to use all the assets, models, sets, etc that were developed for TCW, in addition to updating them and creating new ones
    -Maul?
    -Speaking of TCW, couldn't they just have had it wrapped up this summer or fall? What was with all the layoffs to Lucasfilm Animation if they're already moving forward with a new show? What's up with Lucasfilm Animation Singapore? Did they make it through the layoffs? I haven't heard anything about them at all.

-Would love to see some awesome Imperial action. Vader, Tarkin, Palpatine, Sate Pestage, etc. What happen with Mas Amedda? Hell, what went on with Sly Moore? She never even appeared in TCW (and sparsely in the EU, I believe). I assume we'll be seeing Mon Mothma and Bail, as well.
    -More Ralph McQuarrie designs? YES, please!

Lastly, it fascinates me how many who chastise the EU (and EU fans) are so bent and enthralled with the TFU stories. I mean, really? Some folks accuse the EU of having "dumb," far-fetched, or ridiculous stories, yet they love The Force Unleashed? A game that not only has some of the most ridiculous concepts and actions involving the Force, but that also pulls another "secret apprentice" move and has said apprentice capable of essentially killing Vader and the Emperor (which of course neither can technically happen, for obvious reasons). On top of that, good ol' Starkiller helps found the Rebellion? And look, his Family Crest was adapted as the emblem of the Rebel Alliance! It's not necessarily any better or worse than other EU material, but it does confuse me when some people champion it so much over other EU material.

Anyways, lol, I'll end the rant; I know quite well where EU discussion material goes. The point of me bringing TFU up like that, is that I despise when canon is overwritten and erased, and unfortunately (for me), TFU is considered canon, as such I'm not advocating it to be removed from the EU, but I just really hope we see nothing of Starkiller or anything having to do with TFU in this new show. For those that would like TFU material to appear, I totally respect your anticipation and eagerness, and ultimately, if it does happen, I'll just have to you know, deal with it. :)

Jose Luis and TreborSabreon like this.
  10. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Do you think we'll get the showdown on Kessel?

In which Vader used cortosis blades to deactivate the lightsabers of his foes, and killed one of them by force-throwing his own severed hand, still holding a knife, into a Jedi's chest.

In which Bultar Swan* of all people ended up standing over a downed, wounded Vader, and had this one chance to destroy evil... but she just couldn't let go of that old Jedi code thing about not killing unarmed foes.

*The Jedi lighting up beside Coleman Trebor (killed by Jango) at about 3:30 in this video.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, but that doesn't mean the show can't show him there sometimes... watching over Luke, communicating with Yoda, maybe even briefly leaving Tatooine to meet with someone.

12. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Yay, a show on Porkins eating McDonald's...

13. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    I don't think we'll see any more scenes directly ported from EU material than we did in TCW... which is to say, no.

14. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011

Seriously.

15. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Well we seem to be at an impasse then. I'm afraid I can't let you leave this thread alive.

16. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Yeah, no canon-destroying supervisor...

Mia Mesharad and Heero_Yuy like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. And what about communing with Qui- Gon and learning the secrets of the journal of the Whills? Would be a weird conversation but as long as there are no floating rocks in the air or "embodiments of the Force" turning into predator birds and getting tossed out a window by their bat**** crazy chatterbox father, it will be good.

What about the fights with Owen that lead to Owen insisting that Luke avoid Obi-Wan? I'd like to see how that came about. I also think Obi-Wan had some communication with Bail Organa over the years or Leia would have had no way of knowing where to send R2 in ANH.

18. Zeltron

Zeltron Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2013
    Y'know, I was going to say I was surprised by how nearly all of the commenters here were complimentary of Filoni. I can't say I'm a fan of his either.

And I don't know how someone can hate on TFU but love TCW. They're equally ridiculous and both disregard what came before.

19. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I personally accept TCW because Lucas had a large part in creating it. I don't believe he had much to do in creating the books or video games.

20. Zeltron

Zeltron Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2013
    Ordinarily you would be right, but since TFU was such a big multimedia project for Lucasfilm, well... first paragraph from the TFU Wook: The project was created with the direct input and guidance of Star Wars creator George Lucas.

Mia Mesharad and TreborSabreon like this.
  21. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Good point! :)

eht13 likes this.
  22. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Great, you all know what this means right? Grown up Boba Fett in every episode. :rolleyes:

Really, why are they making the same mistake again that they did with TCW? Why not go with a show after ROTJ, that shows us what Luke & Co were doing up until the movie is released.

The Dark Times era (at least call it that! Rebels sounds so... bland) should be saved for a possible Live Action tv show, or a possible future movie trilogy. That is it. No more cartoons + Filoni to ruin the PT-OT era please. Do what you want in other eras though. Post ROTJ, KOTOR, etc etc.

23. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Because that means spoilers and I am not sure they have a timeline fully mapped out

24. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Because Filoni isn't writing that movie, and there would be too many retroactive conflicts once it comes out. Episode VII itself has to shed light on those years, so to have LFA do it would be asking for a continuity nightmare. They'll already be steamrolling the EU, and they'd wind up stepping on their own toes and streamrolling a new show on top of that. No thank you.

25. Zeltron

Zeltron Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2013
    I don't think you really Abrams to be beholden to the cartoon or vice versa. This reminds me of what happened with DC Comics a few years ago. They had this big crossover called Final Crisis coming up, but then decided to throw in a bunch of storylines leading up to it, except they didn't jell exactly with what the writer of Final Crisis was doing, so it was a disaster when it all finished and fans were angry at wasting their time with the stories leading up to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.