main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New article on legalization of medical marijuana

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Thena, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    CUBIE_HOLE wrote :-

Where are the specific organs and/or designs of the body that are intended for marijuana

There are specific proteins within the human body that respond soley to cannabis, and nothing else. They have been shown to exist in many tissues, and be involved in a number of physiological processes. Also, please remember there are several endogenous cannabinoids (cannabis inside your body naturally).

Some studies claim marijuana is not addictive, but if it's legalized, the tobacco industry will be the distributor of this new product, and I would be willing to bet my life that it will be addictive then.

Thats an excellent point ! If cannabis was legalised I could see tobacco companies adding crap to it to make their cannabis cigarettes more enjoyable than straight cannabis (ie addictive).

I don't think tobacco would be nearly as addictive as it is without the additives that Philip Morris et al add to them.

malkie

2. CUBIE_HOLE

CUBIE_HOLE Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Auge_Der_Sturm
    [color=blue]And, for the record, my Funk and Wagnalls does say that the proper spelling is "cubbyhole." So doesn't that mean that your spelling is wrong, despite your efforts to discredit me? Or are does your name simply designate your six-sided nature?[/color][hr][/blockquote]

There's no need for me to discredit you, because you do it on your own.

For whatever reason, a couple of months ago, you took it upon yourself to inform me of something I already knew.

[blockquote][b]Auge_De_Sturm[/b][hr][color=blue]And, by the way, "Cubie" should be spelled with two "B"s to be grammatically correct.[/color][hr][/blockquote]

However, you made a mistake in a in your correction. Yes, for "Cubie" to be grammatically correct, it needs to to be spelled with two "B's," but it also needs a "Y," which you forgot.

[blockquote][b]I posted[/b][hr][color=blue]I love people that try to correct others, but make a mistake in doing so.

cubiehole - wrong
    cubbiehole - wrong
    cubbyhole- grammatically correct[/color][hr][/blockquote]

I already said that "cubbyhole" is the grammatically correct spelling of the word. "Cubbiehole" and "CUBIE_HOLE" are both grammatically wrong. Forget about the correct spelling of "cubbyhole," and its meaning in some dictionary, because with regards to me, they do not apply. It can best be describe as an inside joke amongst myself and other people you don't even know, and I decided to spell it differently because I think of it meaning something different. I also put a space in the original word, because it goes along with my "different" meaning for the word.

Anyway, what's with this marijuana users can't/don't contribute to research because they have to pay high prices on the black market? I doubt that has anything to do with it. It's like every other drug. The users just want their "high" or whatever it is they get from using it. Alcohol and tobacco are legal, but I don't see the users of those donating money to the research of them.

[b]malkieD2[/b], I admit, I have no idea what your talking about, but these natural "cannabinoids" you speak of, do they have anyting to do with THC? Is using marijuana the only way to introduce them into the body?

3. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    Interviews with ex-drug warriors
    Like any war, the War on Drugs has its good soldiers -- a varied bunch, coming from all walks of life and filling all ranks. They include eager volunteers, from the drug czars at the top of the command chain to the beat cops, Drug Enforcement Administration and Customs Service agents out in the field. The war also has reluctant conscripts, such as state and federal judges compelled by mandatory minimum sentencing rules to enforce laws that many see as counterproductive and unjust.

Increasingly, the War on Drugs also has what its partisans might consider traitors -- former soldiers who have become convinced that U.S. drug policy is ineffective, immoral, or some combination of the two. Reason National Correspondent Michael W. Lynch recently spoke with three such figures who were once integral cogs in the drug war machine.

Very interesting and informative read.

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    malkieD2, I admit, I have no idea what your talking about, but these natural "cannabinoids" you speak of, do they have anyting to do with THC? Is using marijuana the only way to introduce them into the body?

I could go into great detail if you want about the pharmacology and physiology of the cannabis compounds that exist in your body naturally, and could provide you with some journal articles that you could read. PM me if you are interested.

Briefly............."cannabinoids" are what we scientists call the active ingredients in cannabis. THC is one such cannabinoid. For a compound to be a cannabinoid it has to have a relatively similar structure to THC, but more importantly it has to activate the specific proteins that THC does. These proteins are extremely selective - only cannabinoids will activate them. Activation of these specific proteins is how THC exerts the majority of its effects - namely the 'high', the pain relief, increased appetite etc.

Quite recently we have discovered that there are at least two cannabinoids that exist naturally within the human body. They form part of normal human physiology, and are perhaps involved in the control of appetite, blood pressure and body temperature. Certain conditions can evoke the release of these "endo-cannabinoids", but frequently we find that they are constantly being released in small quantities to maintain a background level of cannabinoids ("tone" is what we call it).

Using mass spec we know the structure of these endo-cannabinoids, and various experiments have been carried out using synthetically made endocannabinoids. Interestingly, administration of synthetic endocannabinoid in high concentrations will exert the same effect as THC.

People who have never smoked cannabis will still have these cannabinoids in their body.

Currently therapies we are looking at are to increase endo-cannabinoids in the body (by blocking their breakdown), or reduce levels of endo-cannabinoids (by increasing their breakdown) depending on the condition. This might provide a more efficent drug target than giving people actual THC.

Hope this helps

Malcolm

edit: markups

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.