main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania New Australian Spelling

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by TheOzhaggis, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

I can't find anything official to post, but I heard on Tuesday that Australian spelling is going to be updated and brought into line with American spelling.

i.e. Colour will now become Color.

Why is this?

Silly people in charge.

Start practising your American accents, folks. First the spelling, then the pronunciation...

:eek:

2. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    I hope that was a sick, sick joke.

3. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Just so long as they dont change the 's' to a 'z'. And then pronounce it zee instead of zed.

4. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    I can still say arse, can't I?

5. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    LONG LIVE ARSE!

Wait, that didn't come out right... :D

Anyway, that really better have been a joke. I have argued with many a Yank over the correct spelling of various words, and I'll be a kangaroo's bum if their ridiculous interpretation of the English language is forced upon us.

6. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

No joke, folks.

At least, as far as I know. A friend, a reliable one, told me.

But like I said, I can't find anything official. I'll ask her how she found out.

7. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Where did you / your friend here this?

My brother is an English teacher - I will have to ask him...

8. outback_dewback

outback_dewback Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2002
    Forgive me for asking but aren't the Americans the only English-speaking people in the world who actually use that odd syle of spelling? Shouldn't they be the ones to change to come into line with the rest of the English-speaking world?

9. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Americans won't change ANYTHING if they're told to change it. I know this is a blatant generalisation of Americans, but the country as a whole isn't going to change their spelling because it's different from the rest of the world. I don't see why we should change because we're different from America.

10. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes - look at the metric system for example!

11. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Perfect example, Gatherer. Though I better stop here, I don't want to offend anyone on one of my anti-American rants. ;)

12. kingjim

kingjim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2001
    Started, this American Imperialism invasion, has.

I always thought our spelling was more sophisticated.

13. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    hey, as long as we dont do there really crappy tv adds and stuff, i'm not too fussed.

14. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

SoE: you mean those half hour infomercials they play for Chuck Norris's home gym or the vacuum seal-it thing or Tony Robbins' latest book + 100 tapes - that they play at 10am and late night?

Funny true story - stop me if you've heard it - an American ambassador came out to Australia a few years back and said she was delighted to find that everyone here spoke American ... lol

15. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    I suppose it has to happen sooner or later dude the americans after all make the most research and educational texts. The stuff we learn is usually based on their text so we ended up learning american spelling. Its a very subtle type of invasion.

16. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    'My friend told me it must be true!!!' LMAO!!!!

I say ass, is there something wrong with that huh???? :p

17. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    I hate to say it but most of the stuff I spelt its in american format anyway. Thats what you get for reading american mgt textbook or american acct textbooks

18. outback_dewback

outback_dewback Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2002
    Well I am kinda used to spelling words the American way as well, since I have many friends over there and chatting with them online is a lot cheaper than calling them.

I started spelling the American way as I got tired of the comments and conversations generated by my spelling - some of them find my spelling quite amusing while others are annoyed by it. It's funny when the Canadians come and chat though cos they spell just like us (and the rest of the English-speaking world) and there ain't nothing like watching Canadians and Americans go at it over trivial things such as spelling ... [face_laugh]

To be honest, it's not that hard to switch back and forth between spelling styles ... just a little annoying at times. ;)

Oh and I have always said ass ... :D

19. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    This is an absolute travesty. A national disaster, if you will

What's next? Changing "Strewth!" to "Gee Wiz!" and "Bloody hell!" to "Aw heck!"?

No sir, I don't like it

20. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    not to mention "mum" and mom"

I never understood that one

21. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

I always spelled it ass.

I didn't even know it was spelled arse.

Until I got to Uni and my English professor started ranting at me about Americanisms and it was my patriotic duty to spell it arse, and all that.

And now that I spell it "the right way" ...

22. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Arse is the traditional Aussie spelling, I've spelt it that way for as long as I've known what it meant. ;)

Besides, I'm as Anti-American as meat pie, so even if the "official" spelling of words changes I'll die one of those old folks who's stuck in their ways.

"What? Color? Why, back in my day, we had a U in there. 'Course, folks were more intelligent back then. It's that damn innernet that's making kids today zombies, always doin' whatever those Yanks are doin'..."

:D

23. kingjim

kingjim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2001
    Quote by TheOzhaggis:
    "Funny true story - stop me if you've heard it - an American ambassador came out to Australia a few years back and said she was delighted to find that everyone here spoke American ... lol"

The scary thing is, although we know SOOO much about America, there are a lot of Yanks who know pretty much nothing about Australia.
    After all, how much do we know about, let's see, Tanzania?

24. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i have to say, i was pretty surprised to see that y'all don't run around in kangaroo pockets when i got here.

rather dissapointing, actually :(

25. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    was pretty surprised to see that y'all don't run around in kangaroo pockets when i got here.

Kangaroo pouches not pockets, m'dear ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.