main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Band Aid single.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TK_Four_Two_One, Nov 17, 2004.

?

New Band Aid single.

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Like it better than original

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Like it but not as good as original

11.8%
  3. Dont like it

35.3%
  4. Havent heard it

23.5%
  5. Dont care

29.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
  2. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I would comment more on this single but all the words I would like to use are not permitted here.
    So I think one word will have to do for now and that is .....
    WHY?

3. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Absolute crud. Especially the rap crap. And Bono's redone line isnt as good as he originally sang it. Ya get crap singers (bar Bono) in then ya get a crap single. Simple.

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
  5. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    Just 'meh'?

6. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Just 'meh'

I didn't really care for the first one, so I don't really care about this one. :p

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    *reposted from my thread that I posted a few minutes after this poll*

(lousy cheap way of getting a thread in... ;) :p

----

I liked the original Band-Aid quite a lot, to be honest. In the light of this new version, I listened to it again, and I still think it's a pretty cracking mixture of pop, tune, and honest message.

Anyway...

As you all probably know, this was recently re-recorded by a group of hip young things. I haven't heard it yet, but have read it now includes 'rapping', and now doesn't include those (I thought) pretty effective Christmas bells segments. I read an article in today's newspaper saying that some people thought it was great and it 'reduced them to tears', and others thought it was awful. It is also, apparantly, more melancholy than the original... and Bono's line is now whispered, which is strange. I've always thought the original did a good job of driving it's message home at you, whereas I fear this new version will meander about a bit before reversing into a truck.

I am concerned it will be rubbish. I am concerned it's been changed and rearranged for no other reason than making it different from the 1984 original. Has a pretty good song (IMO) been turned into one of these modern records with no tune, or direction and been laced with young 'artists' trying to prove they aren't just poor imitations of the predecessors?

When I hear it, I will know.

So... anyone who has heard it, what's it really like... are my concerns valid, or, am I being overly cynical about a record that ultimately is only going to do good in this world?

Also, I think it's out on November 29th. Will you buy it?

------

EDIT: Anyone know where I can hear it without having to listen to the radio all day? *legitimately*

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Absolutely dire.

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Well I have just found out that it's showing before the 6 o'clock news on BBC ONE on Thursday. I'll see / hear it then. :)

10. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
  11. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    Pants!!!

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    My expectations for this song are sinking fast.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Okay I happened to hear it.

And...

I must go against the grain and say I quite enjoyed it. It seems it's been removed from being a direct Christmas song (Christmas could just as easily be seen as a metaphor now) and instead of the 80's electronic pop of the original you feel the performers are playing their instruments and so on. I liked that. I like the reworking of the chorus (I thought it built nicely), and Bono's line wasn't really a whisper so that was okay too.

It's different, almost less commercial than the original, but crucially I didn't feel like it was different just for the sake of it.

However, what the **** was that RAP doing in it?

Without the rap, I'd give it 9/10, with the rap, only 7. What a stupid, stupid decision to put a bit of rap in it. And rap that was clumsy and didn't fit the rhythm too. LAME.

So there.

IMO - because you all disagree with me.

14. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I haven't heard it and I will do my very best to avoid it because it is an awful song and the political idea behind it is a joke.

15. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Have you guys forgotten Band Aid 2?

Now THAT sucked.

UKS

16. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    i voted Dont care.

becuase i didnt like the first one.twas my least favorite christmas song. so i dont care.

I do think its alright except the rap part. 'Dissie rascal'? more like.....um....

hang on....um....

...****ty rascal! ( yeah, That'll do) ;)

( i totally detest rap if you havnt noticed)

17. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Don't care - didn't like the first song and by the sounds of it, from comments here, I won't like the second one.

Perhaps they should calculate how much the single expects to make for people in Africa and then get the musicians (if we can call them that) to donate the equivalent money - that way charity wins because it gets cash and we win because we don't have to listen to the song! ;)

Everyones a winner!

[face_monkey]

18. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    "becuase i didnt like the first one.twas my least favorite christmas song. so i dont care."

Yes, Cliff pwnz the Crimbo hit, doesn't he? [face_worried]

I myself rather liked the original, but apart from that I totally agree with you, Darth_Mac. That sickenin bunch of overpaid talentless gob-****s oughta just cough up out of their own pockets, and spare us the misery of listening to their painful screeching, and the guilt we're expected to feel if we don't fork out on the latest of their repugnant atonal records to inflate their ill-deserved egos.

Gits, every last one of 'em. Except for the likes of Geldof and Midge Ure(sp?) who actually got recording contracts in the 70s on the strength of being able to sing, play/and or writemusic, rather than because they had immaculate hair and wore lipstick/pranced around with their shirts open, like these ****** worthless boy or girl bands who've been manufactured for our torment.

19. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    The rap sounds like he's burst into the recording studio and abused the song with his crap rap. And who is HE? (Much the same for the rest as well).

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Its just so.....average :p

21. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    I don't listen to these Christmas songs. To much sugar and syrup... [face_sick]

22. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    "Yes, Cliff pwnz the Crimbo hit, doesn't he"

I honestly think i prefer "christmas time" than the original band aid *ducks* ... more christmassy

I love christmas songs, i really do. Wizzard's christams song is an Excellent song

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    There's always...

It's Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiistmas time!
    Mistletoe and Wine!!!!!

*shudders*

24. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Couldnt Bono, Madonna and McCartney just have given to the third world what was in their pockets as small change? It would easily amount to a far greater sum than this piece of turd will ever.

25. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

Is it a sign of old age that I dont know who the hell most of the people doing it are ?? Why the hell didnt they just get every one who did the original back together 20 years on? Okay the chances of getting the members of spandau ballet in the same room together are thin but I never liked them any way !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.