main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Battlefront II Update

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kudzu, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    http://www.starwars.com/gaming/videogames/news/f20051021/indexp1.html

Yeah, ho-hum, something about wild acklays on Felucia (which is mildly interesting) and Aayla Secura wielding dual lightsabers (that's not new).

But hey, wait a minute.

Putting that at approximately 9 BBY. :eek: Boba Fett leading the 501st against an army of rogue clone troopers? This looks like our retcon for Kamino in the Galactic Civil War. They turned against the Empire. Even if not so and someone managed to somehow subvert an entire batch of clone troopers to their own anti-Imperial designs, it's certainly extremely interesting.

There's also an interesting Hoth level featuring a breakout of the wampas contained in Echo Base from cut scenes in ESB and canonized in SotE.

2. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I actually read this earlier today.
    Definitely sounds like a retcon.

3. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Wouldn't this actually be 12 BBY?

Could this be a nod to that infamous "clone rebellion" reference in HTTE?

4. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Actually, prolly 11 BBY. The 501st didn't see action on Geonosis, IIRC.

5. Commander5052

Aug 28, 2005
    What's the exact quote, please?
    That just doesn't ring a bell.

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I don't know the quote, but it would definately explain the Clone Wars and probably something about the fabled crazed clones and their clone masters. Perhaps their craziness was partialy Palpatine's propaganda, but they were mentaly unstable due to being bread very quikcly so the Empire wouldn't have much time to react. This could actualy work as a wonderful retcon to bridge the Clone Wars, and the clone wars mentioned in TTT if it is done well [face_thinking]

7. Commander5052

Aug 28, 2005
    I hope so.

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Sweet. So we're finally getting our Zahn Clone Wars ret-fix, very probably even factoring in the "mad clones"...as in, "taking up arms against the Empire"? Imperial spin. But it'd work.

And would explain why Boba would've been in Taun We's good graces enough for her to hire him to kack Shysa later on.

9. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Taun We could have tried to distance herself from whoever (must have been pretty high up) made the anti-trooper clones (the "good guys", interesting).

10. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    If this is meant to be a retconn, it'll be another example of a Clone Wars retconn making things worse...

[face_frustrated] :mad: [face_plain]

HttE is clear enough: the clonemasters lowered the safety-limit on the time taken to grow clones during the Clone Wars, cutting down to a matter of weeks. This caused "clone madness", resulting in whole batches of clones going mad and having to be 'put down'.

Just because we've not seen it yet doesn't mean it's not going to happen...

It fits in well with what we know; Kamino's initial time was ten years, and their training was hands-on, rather than flash-printed. This produces good clones. There's probably a reason that they don't speed up the process further, and don't flash-print. :p

Moreover, we have seen one very good example of clone madness in a Kaminoan clone - Spar, in whom, to add complexity to what we've already been told about how Force-resonance causes the madness, Jango Fett's memories somehow surfaced.

I've argued before, in a thread I always thought was unjustly neglected ( :( *pouts* :p), that Joruus C'baoth's increasing madness in T3 was similarly caused by Jorus' memories, perhaps triggered by his increased use of the Force...

Obviously, LFL can if they want decide that Pellaeon was misinformed, and that cloning works nothing like it seems in the Thrawn trilogy; but it seems to me that doing so is not only utterly unneccessary, but renders rather a lot of the Thrawn trilogy pointless, and further drives a wedge between the post-OT EU and the CW material...

The Clone Wars stuff has its own loyal following; but if it hasn't done as well as the post-OT EU, I politely suggest that maybe, just maybe, maybe even without them consciously realising it... it's because it's not the SW that the wider readership knows and loves...

And come on, how funky would it be to have a post-RotS arc with the Empire fighting maddened, desperate Jedi Knights leading crazed, psychopathic clone batallions... :D :D :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok

11. Commander5052

Aug 28, 2005
    Pretty strange. :rolleyes:

12. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Shame such a story will be told in what will be in all likely-hood a sub-par game title.

13. Jodus

Jodus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 21, 2005
    To me this seems to not really work at all. Except for gameplay wise where they get to toss in Boba Fett.

But continuity wise, it seems wrong. This shows Fett working for the Empire much more than what I previously imagined him to be. He cant really be the "best" choice to lead a mission to Kamino. Surely there would be ARC's that are just as capable, if not more so. And they would know Kamino just as well as Boba.

Perhaps story wise in the end he might shoot the commanding officer perhaps? Tying into Dark Empire story line.

Plus, wouldnt it be likely somehow that Fett would meet Vader when working with Vaders personal detachment of troopers? Thus messing with the first time Vader and Fett meet? (supposedly Enemy of the Empire).

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was about to say that- this is quite likely the "Boba was a stormtrooper" scenario.

Might also be the source of the Dronetroopers in Betrayal.

15. Jodus

Jodus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 21, 2005
    I've been hoping for a legitimate story line where Boba does take a job on an Imperial officer. Since he is a clone like the rest, he would fit right in, and be able to get away with it. And publicity could spin it as another defective clone? I suppose this can happen at any time, since the older he gets the better this option would become.

As it stands though, perhaps Kasm and Fazz were mistaken somehow...Boba does look like EVERY other clone. They would likely be privvy to information like that. But what proof is there for the dark jedi that he was a stormtrooper? Do they get that idea simply because he was a clone and that immediately makes him a trooper?

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'd be willing to bet there aren't more than a few ARCs, or ex-ARCs, still around by this point. The more I think about it, the more it seems likely that there would've been serious problems with them post-RotS. No troopers worked more closely with the Jedi than they did, and Jangotat proved that their lower-than-usual conditioning made it possible for them to shunt duty aside in extreme circumstances. It's already been more or less confirmed that even some normal troopers disobeyed Order 66, so I'd imagine ARCs would've been even less likely to carry it out.

The way I see it playing out is, Order 66 goes out, and a substantial amount of ARCs decide, thanks to their battle experience and a modicum of free will, not to do it (keep in mind that "a substantial amount" is by clone standards, and could still be as little at 10% or so). All the noncompliant ARCs, obviously, are taken care of immediately, and over time, the rest are slowly phased out/send on suicide missions/whatever, rather than have to deal with their unreliability.

17. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I'm thinking maybe a dozen ARCs still active and unretired as of RotS anyway. A few of those refuse to comply and after a few years, the rest are put into training sergeant duty.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Why so few? Look at Plo Koon's starfighter; just because a new version of something's been introduced doesn't mean they're gonna let perfectly good resources go to waste.

19. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    The OS databank entry for the clone commandos suggests that eventually most of the ARCs are replaced by RCs, and Palpatine would probably want as many of the independent ARCs out of the way as possible by Order 66.

20. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    who cares about Boba Fett?... you can play Ewoks, Gungans, wampas, and Jawas!

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Replaced and decommissioned are two different things.

22. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Somewhere it said, that Vader was sent to hunt down all ARCs after RotS. Not sure where this was, tho...

I played Boba in the beta, and he's most awesome there... Jetpack, flamethrower, wrist-mounted rocket-launcher, three-shot-burst EE-3 =P~

23. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Link's faulty.

http://www.starwars.com/gaming/videogames/news/f20051021/index.html

24. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    That's a pretty cool storyline to explore. I wonder if it'll tie in with the new TV series.

25. Fox4

Fox4 Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    Sweet, but do you have to earn Boba or can you just play as him?:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.