main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Battlefront II Update

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kudzu, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I'm getting a little sick of Battlefront's attempts to create credible in-universe storylines by just rejigging the movie heroes and planets into scenarios like this. I'm fully awaiting the "Imperials discover Yoda on Dagobah and attempt to destroy him, and he's defended by Rebels", in either this or EMPIRE AT WAR. I'm *all* for making new storylines in the games - but that demands new characters, new worlds, and the like. Hence the Acklays on Felucia - ooh, we don't want to create a new Felucian creature, it'll alienate the casual movie viewers, so let's just stick in an Acklay. What's next, Krayt dragons on Hoth? I like how TRIALS OF OBI-WAN has created a whole host of new Mustafarian creatures, some of them awe inspiring, rather than just populating the world with reeks, rontos and banthas.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Acklays are cool.

3. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Should've known that they'd muck it up. Great going, LA.

4. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    >>"Acklays are cool."<<

Very true (although I prefer the "stabby crabby thing" moniker coined by BBC Radio 4's THE NOW SHOW back in 2002), but why are they on Felucia? :\ Not that this is a big deal - Secura randomly hoisting two sabers is more of an issue, to boot, and easily ignored.

5. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004

Funny you should mention it. The "Imperials discover Yoda on Dagobah and attempt to destroy him, and he's defended by Rebels", is actually in Battlefront II.

6. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    As part of the storyline campaign?! Not just an instant action sort of affair?!

I mean, look at this rubbish:

A shadow looms over the Republic. The Clone Wars have torn a rift across the Galaxy. Its populace weak in allegiance and resolve, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine has commissioned an elite division of clone troopers, the 501st Legion, to vanquish the seperatist threat once and for all.

Their unwavering loyalty to the Chancellor, combined with the Republic's desperation to see an end to the war, has set the stage for the execution of Palpatine's ultimate plan.

Braving the frigid world of Mygeeto, the 501st joins Jedi Master Ki-Adi-Mundi for the first of many crucial battles destined to shape the fate of the galaxy...

It's...galling...to see nonsense like this just fly in the face of the excellent work done by people like Karen, Ryan and Pablo to distinguish between the different legions, etc, etc.

7. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I would have liked to have the Storm Commando and Royal Guardsman as special classes for the Imps, and Mandalorian Supercommandos for the Seppies, and the ARCs for the GAR.

8. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    MYGEETO!? MYGEETO!? Holy freakin' Sith. Poor Karen and Ryan. I hope they dont read this crap.
    Now, if it had been about individual units, that would have been fine. Like on Coruscant you're the 501st and on Mygeeto you're the Galactic Marines and Felucia you're the 327th Star Corps.

9. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    The Galactic Marines accompanied Mundi to the Order 66 Battle of Mygeeto. During Order 66, the 501st was on Coruscant with Vader. So this COULD work, if this is Mundi leading the 501st on an EARLIER battle on Mygeeto (pre-Order 66). Just give them a little more rope before you hand 'em!

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You know, two people didn't destroy the Death Star at Yavin. Leia never fought Chewbacca in a tournament. Events depicted in games have been altered for continuity purposes far more than any of this needs to be.

11. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    That's why I don't like the mentality that games are canon until proven otherwise. I've seen enoguh continuity issues in games to believe that it should be infinities until proven canon. I understand the need to make it infinities for the game, but I don't understand why so many games are considered canon...

12. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Its because of the occasional game like Republic Commando, which just has so much polish that it can fit in continuity and still be a really fun and cool game. Other games like the X-wing/TIE Fighter series, Galactic Battlegrounds, Bounty Hunter, the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games, Force Commander, Rogue Squadron, Starfighter, etc. all fit well continuity and turned out to be very good games (FC nonwithstanding.) :cool: They are why we say canon, until proven otherwise.

Lately, I chalk it up to the current designers putting gameplay first, which tends to leave continuity in the dust. Don't get me wrong, gameplay value is great. But they could give some more effort to research, etc.

[face_plain]

13. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Leia fought Chewbacca in a tournament - I have proof! On Dagobah for some reason. On an exactly rectangular plot of ground that they kept falling off of. But which Chewie.. brownish-gray or brownish-red?

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    At the LucasArts website they have a poll on whether or not it's important for SW games to stick with continuity -- "very important" is currently leading, so go vote. A lack of continuity annoys me too, but in my opinion we can just dismiss details like which unit is involved as gameplay mechanics for the sake of the story -- we don't need to get hung up on it.

15. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2005

It's not THAT bad. It can just be retconned that some 501st troopers filled out the ranks of various other legions/corps/battalions. Sure, it's not a retcon for a whole army of them being in the game but it can be for why there are any there at all.

16. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I understand that there are plenty of good gmes out there with great continuity, but there are also plenty of them that leave continuity in the dust, which is just annoying if we have to keep retconing them. And the thing is that if they get details wrong, like the 501st, that's a real shame, because one of the great thing about star wars is that most of the time, the details are really fleshed out, and are there, maybe just as details, but they end up fitting together quite nicely. The devil's in the details [face_devil]

EDIT: So what I really think is that the game should be looked at closely, and then the caninoty of it whould be assessed on a case by case basis.

17. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    It is bad. That means bacara can't nail conehead in the back.... :p

I don't see why games like battlefront (for the most part) are part of continuity. Most of the time they are not story driven at all, as opposed to games like KotOR or Jedi knight.

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Then the devil wants Ryan (or somebody with comprable continuity skillz) and his team back at LucasArts.

In about 5 years I'll be out of college with a degree in Computer Science, so hopefully I'll be able to work my way into the corporation and do some reforms.

[face_thinking] [face_batting] [face_praying] ;)

EDIT: >>>EDIT: So what I really think is that the game should be looked at closely, and then the caninoty of it whould be assessed on a case by case basis.<<<

I agree, to an extent. I think all games have elements of continuity in them (ships, characters, technology, creatures, etc.) but the exact events may not be canon. That's how we can fit in parts of partially non-canon games like Rebellion, Battlefront I/II, and Empire at War.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.