main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “So Say We All.” - The Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    My irony meter just broke.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    lol @ all the internet tough-guys talkin' bout snapping a woman's neck with their bare hands for divesting them of their loveless sham-marriage.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    While Tyrol didn't necessarily love Cally, that doesn't mean he would or should just shrug off her death (he didn't)-- she was still a good friend of his, after all-- and let her murderer get away with it.

4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Which the colonials have a justice system for.

And, besides the fact of the relationship, lol @ anyone who claims they would lift a screaming woman bodily off the ground and snap her neck Vader-style. In any situation. You are some stone-cold scary ****** *******. :rolleyes:

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    You're really riled up about this, eh?

And I didn't say I would do that. As I don't have Cylon strength and it'd be a bit more difficult to break someone's neck like that, I would have probably pushed her off the the ledge. :D

6. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    That would have been a good scene. A wild-eyed Tyrol pulls his hand out of Ander's hybrid tank, points at Tory, and exclaims, "I'll sue!"

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I suspect his tongue was firmly in cheek. :p

I'm [i]still[/i] looking for answers about the old gods. They're clearly not the same as the Cylon God, especially since Head Six kept emphasizing that. She even referred to the old gods fighting back, earlier in the season.

Dropped plotlines ftl.

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It was never really a plotline. Some things were implied about the gods, but the producers weren't dangling any revelations in front of the audience a la the Final Five.

The options:

1) They never existed and were only myths created to explain the human exodus from Kobol, or they were already existing mythical figures when the humans left their homeworld and the humans added stories. This could also apply to #2.

2) They were Cylons. Even if they weren't Cylons, the "cycle of violence" points to a war that rendered Kobol uninhabitable. The humans and Cylons either made peace and agreed to go their separate ways or were still hostile to each other when they parted.

3) They were angels/head-things attempting to guide the humans and prevent them from destroying themselves. Regardless of what the gods were, Pythia likely saw one of these entities, which would explain her knowledge of (Cylon) Earth and the the landmarks along the way. It would also explain why she speaks of the 13th tribe with reverence instead of something like scorn.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Ignoring the obvious misrepresentation, what would you have done, internet tough guy #2?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Even: I'm pretty sure #3 is what they went with, or at least that's what Baltar's little speech about "whether you believe in gods, or a god" was about but it doesn't jive with earlier in the season when Head Six was adamant about the old gods fighting back. That was a pretty poignant moment, and unless it was a ridiculous red herring, I think that plotline was just unexplained, just like the thing about one of the 12 gods betraying the others.

The implication now is that the Lords of Kobol were like the angel things, except they directly intervened--and because they were still unable to stop the violence, "God" disavowed the planet and all that had to do with it and decided to be indirect from then on.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, because it does. I'm just saying it's inconsistent with that bit from earlier in the season, and that's what makes it problematic.

11. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I find Tory's murder understandable from Tyrol's perspective. Not only was it his wife (regardless of where they were at in their relationship) and the mother of his child (even though that child ended up not being his), but Tyrol thought all this time that it was his fault she killed herself. Imagine living with that kind of guilt, plus everything that just happened with Boomer, and his outburst, while not morally defensible IMO, certainly makes sense.

So 150,000 years ago... How ugly would those Earth humans have been? Mating with them? Ew, no thanks.

I also think they'd have been better off having had them arrive like 10,000 years ago, around the beginning of agriculture. Although, I guess their whole "cultural subconscious" thing explains why thousands of years later their ideas showed up, and they'd have the fact that with genetic knowledge we should be able to detect a bunch of non-Earth humans entering the population.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, not if God made it so their integration is undetectable. :p

13. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    It strikes me that the dues ex machina that RDM so explicitly set out to avoid is in a way literally the basis of the show. :p

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon now and say how implausible the "fresh start" thing was. Even giving them the benefit of the doubt that they meant to try it, I don't see how it would last. The first time one of them died of something that could've been resolved with a week's treatment of penicillin, the first time one of suffers from terrible exposure to the elements, the first time they have to eat raw or partly cooked food of dubious value, the first time one of them realizes that they have no way to wipe themselves after going to the restroom, I can see a full scale reversion to their old ways. After all, the central proposition is fundamentally ludicrous. The evil that lurked in the Colonial fleet was not that they had central heating and cooling. The evil that they had was in their own personalities. Stripping themselves of technology does nothing to fix that, and merely leaves them more vulnerable along the way.

Also, lexu I think they'd still be safe coming at the stage. While it would introduce new diversity into the gene pool, it would be happening pretty much simultaneously all over the world. That would therefore tend to make it indistinguishable from the diversity that was already present.

15. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Well, ultimately, it's not like they had much of a choice in giving up a lot of those things. They would have soon run out of resources, anyway. Even the technology would have gotten old and ceased to function and they'd have run out of ways to fix it.

After years of running, the experience on New Caprica and the no doubt deteriorating condition of the ships, maybe the appeal of leaving it all behind was stronger than we can imagine. And once they made the decision, there wouldn't really be any going back. The medicine and things like that probably would have been used up, but eventually run out.

When you think about it, their desire to continue their civilization was never a reality. They'd either have blended into the society of the 13th Tribe if they'd found that as they hoped (ie not nuked) or they'd have to do this. Start over almost completely.

16. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    *peeks in with fingers covering eyes*

I missed the final episode....do you think Sci Fi.com will post the finale online??? I am just dying to see it! It's killing me!

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, on Saturday, I think.

18. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    Quick question, is the Cylon Colony fireing some sorf of plasma cannon at Galactica when it jumps in?

The biq quad cannons are just regular KEVs, but the bigger ones sure do look like a type of laser/plasma/particle-ray of some sort, or is it just missile exhaust?

19. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    [image=http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8115/picture1q.jpg]

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They should have kept the spinny pinwheel ship thing. :(

21. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Then let it. They'd still live a lot better in the mean time, and they would basically be in the same situation they were in before, except on a planet full of resources. They would be in a much better situation to start industrial centers than they were on New Caprica.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'd agree, ImpKnight. Sure, they probably won't be able to maintain the level of civilization that they had on New Caprica. However, they could pretty rapidly build up to, say, at least our level of technology. From there, it's a lot shorter path back to the standard of living they're used to than what they actually decided to go with.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And they definitely have a lot more to work with than they had IN SPACE.

I mean, seriously. They can still run around in the grass as much as they want without risking untold complications. It's not like a nice, verdant planet is really going to remind them of their 5 years spent in tin cans.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Quoted for Absolute Truth

Bring the spinny ship back to life! [face_flag]

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The finale has finally aired in the U.K., and it was great. Cavil's end was my favourite part, but it was all pretty good. I got a little teared up by the end.

I feel validated.:p