main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “So Say We All.” - The Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I assumed you had read my post if you thought it appropriate to comment on Caprica.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    No.

It was just a comment on the tendency of "creator vs created" stories to feature painfully forseeable conflict, such that any lessons that supposed to be implied about the hubris of mankind or the dangers of excessive experimentation usually become secondary to the question of why someone would be such a complete idiot.

3. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Hence my theory: teenagers did it. :p

4. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Like John Hammond? [face_thinking]

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So basically Greystone was a **** father, and thereby doomed humanity?

Nice.

6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Actually, I don't think Jurassic Park quite falls in that category. The problems there were more logistical, and related to the scope of the undertaking. That's a slightly different sort of suspension of disbelief that facilitates what is basically a man vs nature story. In simply recreating dinosaurs, they didn't do anything inherently stupid. The idiotic/unbelievable part is that the very first application of the technology would be to make a full blown, fee-for-admission dinosaur theme park. That sort of wrongheaded sense of scale is much more forgivable than other cases, the most egregious of which, in my mind, is probably Dracula, as I alluded to earlier.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    A **** person in general, apparently, as Joseph Adama (either a former or current mob lawyer at the time) has "ethical" issues with what Graystone is doing with the "cybernetic life-form nodes."

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I thought the Elder Adama was supposed to be a brilliant and widely respected jurist? Yes, there are a few venerated figures in criminal law, like Johnny Cochran, most of the household names come from other areas of practice. More to the point, the thick tomes Adama the Youngest was carting around during the Baltar Trial had led me to suspect something more rarified, like constitutional law.

Was it always this way?

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the impression I got from the series when they were talking about him was that Joseph Adama was a widely respected name in jurisprudical circles.

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, according to the (preliminary, maybe) backstory, he has ties to the mob. I'm thinking he has/had a "change of heart" or something... maybe.

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Why would a noted scientific researcher be involved with the mob anyway? Wouldn't that make him anathema to most institutions?

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Adama, not Graystone. And, like I said, I'm not sure if he's still a mob lawyer by the time the series begins.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, I know, but being connected to someone who is intimately connected to the mob is pretty much the same thing as being connected to the mob. Or, that was sort of the thought behind my post, anyway. And how do you know so much about all this? Is it starting soon?

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They apparently become friends after the terrorist attack kills both their daughters.

It comes out April 21st. And I have the all-knowing internets to help me.

15. Hob

Hob Jedi Master star 3

Aug 10, 2003
    Just on a tangent, I think it would be cool if Daniel Greystone ended up being the old hybrid in Razor. It would jive well with the whole children killing their parents motif that BSG was so fond of.

Not a spoiler of any sort. Just me being bored late at night.

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Does anyone have a link to a video of BSG winning a Peabody award?

17. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    This is pretty close: LINK

Oh, and if you're having BSG withdrawal like I am, listen to this music. Maybe a Head Six will appear.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  21. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I think it's about time I started watching this... the DVD boxed seasons are pretty cheap here.

Can I jump straight into season 1? Or should I start with the miniseries?

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    You must watch every episode in order. Although there are standalones, it is a very serialized story and it's best not to skip around or anything. That means you start with the miniseries (included in the Region 1 Season 1 boxset but I don't know about New Zealand) and move on from there.

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Or you can do what I'm doing, watch several seasons in parallel -- Season 3 is currently airing (last night was Eye of Jupiter), plus the same station showed episodes from Season 1. Then I bought the miniseries DVD and watched that 2 weeks ago. Now I've Season 2 coming from ebay (?25 for both halves, incl shipping). To top it all off, when I was hoe 2 weeks ago, I taped eps 4-20 and 4-21 off in-demand, and my Dad is taping the finale off on-demand for me tonight. Should have that by the end of next week.

By which time I'll have no clue who is coming or going anymore.

... love the show though, have gotten completely hooked.

24. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Cool thanks. The miniseries DVD is separate from season 1 here, so that's where I'll start!

25. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I am catching up on now. the show thanks to DVD mostly, but I have a question about viewing order. I know Razor is listed at the beginning of Season 4 based on its release dates, but from what I gather about the story it seems to take place closer to the end of Season 2.0 with all the Pegasus stuff. I am at the end of Season 3 now so should I watch Razor before continuing Season 4, will it spoil me for anything in season 4, or does it not matter when I watch it?