Amph New Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 13, 2005.

1. darth_grievous1 Force Ghost

star 5
    No spoilers for season 4, and it's not necessary viewing to follow the series, but...

...there are a few revelations in Razor (although they are also revealed in season 4) that casts a whole different light over a certain character and their motives. Plus, it also establishes a few things that are prevalent in season 4, so it's not as out of the blue when...well, you'll see what I mean when you watch it. ;)
  2. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Razor was released in the year between Seasons 3 and 4, although the "present day" segments take place between the Season 2 episodes "The Captain's Hand" and "Lay Down Your Burdens." It foreshadows some things in Season 4, but it's extremely vague at best and not spoilerish at all.
  3. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, Razor was designed to be viewed between seasons 3 and 4. Without it some of the things in 4 might not make sense, or could at least be a little confusing. I'd say definitely watch it before season 4.
  4. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Anyone have cable with on demand service? As I mentioned, when I was home in New York last week, I taped eps 20 and 21, unfortunately the finale (ep 22) wasn't available yet. My Dad checked again yesterday, and it still wasn't up. The TW website says it's been available for several weeks already, though, which doesn't make sense.

Could someone who gets on demand check if the finale is up where they live? Thanks!
  5. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
  6. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Just saw the miniseries, and WOW I love it. :D

I'll be spending money on more DVDs methinks.
  7. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    I picked up the miniseries DVD for ?6 on amazon, have now started lurking on ebay for the series -- got Season 1 for ?10 last night! (Costs ?30 new on amazon). Picked up the 2 Season 2 sets for ?25 combined (incl shipping) last week. The show is incredibly addictive, even if you go in spoiled.
  8. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Although you know the major plot elements, the characters tend to be the best part of the show. :p
  9. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Definitely agree with you there, Guy.

So I'm currently watching an episode of Season 2 every night (in addition to the season three ep that airs every Wednesday) and I have 1 question -- what on earth does the old man see in Tigh? He seems like an absolute nimrod. Martial law? Yeah, that's a good idea.

EDIT: One other question -- one thing that made no sense to me is how Adama figured out the Conoy at Ragnar was a cylon. Is that explained solely by the Razor flashbacks?
  10. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Watch the deleted scenes for "Scattered."
  11. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    So, I have to say that I rather enjoyed Caprica.

Pilot/movie spoilers commence: For one, the fact that the fellow from Tauron was speaking what seems to be ancient Greek was awesome. Even cooler was the Athena Academy with all its wall reliefs and statues of the goddess. Magnificent. And I like that Capricans wear French cuffs. The casual colonial racism is lol (I assume they're not unified yet) and the eagle and fasces in the Caprican defense ministry was excellent.

Zoë herself is an utter brat. She is emo and a heathen. However, I feel bad for her computer copy and what that loon Greystone did to her. The ending was kind of odd though, I wonder what happened there.

Adama the Eldest is weird, and Adama the Elder reminds me of Boba Fett, except that his voice is not nearly as high pitched and they look nothing alike.

And the "sister" from the Academy is a traitor and must be destroyed.
  12. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Going back to this for a sec, I'm currently watching the Season 2 DVDs for the first time, last night was Resurrection Ship Part I, and I watched the first few minutes of Part, just enough for Helo and Chief to get bound. I then turned it off, leaving myself one heck of a cliffhanger for tonight. Question: are we going into Deliverance area here? Should I cue the dueling banjos?

As for Iello's Caprica post, it highlights a problem I have with BSG's conclusion: one of the underlying ideas of both TOS and the new one is that life here originated "out there". Part of this is the shared "culture/religion of the Greek gods, and now, the Greek language. But given when the Colonists arrive on earth, and the implication that they integrate into existing human society, how owuld those Greek cultural elements essentially vanish for several millennia, and then reappear? And if they do reappear, why just in that one place (ancient Greece) and not elsewhere?
  13. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    I asked the same thing regarding the song All Along the Watchtower. According to jangoisdrunk, all the elements we have in modern society were passed down through the "collective unconscious" until "extracted from the void." Which can be used to explain similar languages, beliefs, dress, etc. I don't know if jangowasdrunk when he typed that, but that seems to be the best answer we're gonna get.
  14. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    But if it's in the collective consciousness, why do these elements only manifest themselves in certain cultures, but not all? Why, for example, don't cultures other than the Greeks worship Zeus, et al?
  15. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    From what I remember RDM saying, humanity tends to follow the same path of development and, in the case of "old" Earth, even the Cylons. That is why the Colonials developed Centurions even though they had forgotten all about the Cylons developed on Kobol (presumably the originals, although from what the "angels" say in the finale one could think that Kobol was not actually the first human civilization and the "cycle" had been going on for far longer).
  16. rsterling78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Quick question: After "Earth" was found in the series finale, why didn't anyone take a Raptor back to the "real" Earth to rescue D'Anna?
  17. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Because she was kinda a *****.
  18. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    And that brings us to my second problem with the finale -- we establish that there is a cycle that has happened several times (at least 3 times, once on Kobol, once on Cylon earth, once in the colonies), and that it is god's/the gods' will to break the cycle. Given the adage "He who does not learn from history is doomed to repeat it", why start fresh on our earth, without leaving any record of what happened in the colonies as a warning to future generations?
  19. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Because technology is bad for the environment.
  20. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Presumably the newly-exiled-from-Kobol Colonials and Cylons wanted to remember the lessons... but they forgot after a few thousand years.

And again, there is no luddite message in the finale.
  21. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    On a more positive note, I watched 2 more Season 2.2 eps last night (Resurrection Ship Pt 2 and Epiphanies) both were really great. a few questions, though:

1. Do people think either Cain or Adama had an idea of what the other was up to? Regardless love the reactions of both Starbuck and the Pegasus XO when they don't get the go-ahead order.

2. What triggered Apollo's depression and suicidal tendency exactly? Just the fact that Roslin was in on the Cain assassination plot?

3. What was the deal with Starbuck's eulogy, "we're less safe without her"? Adama should have smacked some sense into her.
  22. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    1. Well, the fact that they almost fought an all-out battle between two battlestars probably gave Cain and Adama a good indication of what the other might do.

2. This seemed to come out of nowhere to a lot of people. It's somewhat understandable, though. A pilot who has to fight battle after battle, losing comrade after comrade, and now humans fighting humans. "Black Market" goes more into it, although it's widely agreed to be the worst BSG episode.

3. Did you watch the extended cut of "Pegasus"? At the beginning that episode, there is a scene where Starbuck tries to convince Adama and Roslin to let her organize a rescue mission to go to Caprica and save Anders and co. She was shot down, so she was pissed off and thus eager to jump on Cain's "let's go on the offensive" bandwagon. Cain had also led the Colonials' greatest victory against the Cylons since the holocaust, and that meant something to Starbuck as well. Fittingly, Adama agrees to let Starbuck go to Caprica because Pegasus's arrival significantly bolstered their manpower and materiel.

Caprica is pretty good-- definitely a lot better than I thought it would be. I'd say that, acting and story-wise, it's a stronger pilot than the BSG miniseries.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Also, to add to #3, Cain had said that one of her first priorities was to recapture the 12 Colonies.
  24. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Also, I don't think anyone has brought out the idea that Starbucks is an awful person, so you'd expect her to be the one advocating for Cheney-esque, morally bankrupt ideas.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I can so see her doing the Cheney sneer.