main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “So Say We All.” - The Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Even that was the worst part of the entire series.

The best part, on the other hand,
    was probably Eight's struggle to come to terms with who she was, before finally embracing her destiny and becoming a hero of the revolution.

2. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    A highlight of the series is by far the soundtrack. It just sets the mood.

3. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Such a fantastic series. Anyone heard anything about the direct-to-dvd prequel movie they put out last year (blood and chrome, iirc)?

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Didn't have enough Cylons in it for me to care.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Merging threads.

6. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I'm sure I put no spoilers up at the top! Please don't ruin it for me.

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'd say high water mark was Ep 1 through the Pegasus episodes. After that they started having trouble trying to cone up with "filler" episodes and stuck hs with sub-par material like Black Market.

Still, there's plenty of great stuff afterwards, like the aforementioned New Caprica rescue. And I loved Season 4 once it got rolling, right through the Finale.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Because it's no longer an ongoing series, we can't justify a separate non spoiler thread. We'll try to be courteous to you, though.

DO NOT read through the earlier pages of this thread, though, because they definitely will spoil you.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

9. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Pretty much correct. Personally though I like season 4 up to the mid season finale. Then a number of episodes seemed like filler to me up until Adama decided to act and did the whole red line hangar bay thing. Which was amazing by the way. Great music.

10. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    There was one thing I hated about BSG. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to show 10-15 seconds of the episode's most important moments in the opening titles?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Oh well it seemed my thread was merged with this one. I don't want spoilers so I will not go on this thread anymore

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Old TV shows such as Mission Impossible would do that too.

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's been in development hell for years, and I don't expect that to change soon. I also don't know how anyone would think a big-budget movie would be anything more than a modest success (which isn't what $1,000,000,000-oriented studios shoot for these days). Even turning Star Trek (a much more recognizable name) into a dumb generic action-fest didn't net anything near those sweet, sweet Marvelbucks everyone wants. I suspect, if executives know at all what they're doing (and that's a long shot, I know), that's a reason why Battlestar Galactica has stayed in development hell.

Whatever one's feelings about how the re-imagined series ended, it was a hard sell to audiences and critics when it began. It only succeeded because it was very, very good. I'm not sure the chances of a completely separate (though who wants to bet it'll rip off everything it can?) re-imagining striking gold are all that great.

yankee8255 likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't see why they need a reboot when they can just make a sequel film series. The story was that of cycles. They settled, they advanced, then went to war, escaped, settled etc.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Why? The TV show, which was a critically acclaimed classic, only ended six years ago. That's not that long ago.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Is it a re-re-imagining?

18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I adored the reimagining, and so far find it hared to get myself excited for this film reboot.

19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    As far as I'm concerned, let it stay in development hell. I don't think any of us want it when we had such a wonderful re-imagining just a decade ago. Certain properties are indeed better in their original medium and incarnation (or rather, in BSG's case, re-incarnation).

yankee8255 likes this.
  20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Agreed. The miniseries won the fracking Peabody Award. That puts Battlestar in the realm as 60 Minutes, Twin Peaks, Seinfeld, Cosmos, The Cosby Show, Star Trek: The Next Generation and MASH.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Absolutely. Very slim odds of a reboot doing a better job than the miniseries. It is a masterpiece of tv sci fi.

Serenity offers a grim example to studio execs for what happens when a highly respected recent sci fi tv series gets the cinema treatment and does everything right -- crickets and tumbleweeds. Granted BSG had a bigger audience and was on the air far longer, but you can understand the wariness.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Reboot Stargate instead plz.

23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's more of an indictment of the risk-phobic executives in Hollywood than anything else. Nothing new, ever. It's a constant stream of recycled material.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    It's not just that. Larson claims that the re-booted Battlestar wasn't very kid friendly, I would respond to that by saying that Battlestar as a concept inherently isn't very kid friendly. I mean just how do you make a series whose very premise begins with the genocide of the human race approachable and acceptable for children. Answer: you don't.

Jedi Ben and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    A kid friendly Battlestar is unwatchable dreck, i.e. Battlestar 1980.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.